daily articles

Moderator:atalarikt

kman1
daily articles

Postby kman1 » 2008-08-01, 5:11

Hello all, I have been studying Malay for a while and I’m trying to test out and improve my knowledge base. I have done this by translating newspaper articles. As you can see, there are a lot of things that I’m not sure on so can you let me know what’s correct and incorrect with my sentences/translations. Please indicate where I went wrong in my analyzing the sentences and grammar. For example, if I mess up a grammar pattern or plural or adjective formation, please let me know this and then indicate the correct way. Thank you very much.

My goal for studying is to be able to talk to people on the street and to my friends. Please feel free to list any places where I can find and translate very colloquial Malay articles, essays, etc.

Code: Select all

ERANTUT: “Semua barang persiapan untuk majlis perkahwinan Hamdan dan Nazatul
 place       all  goods ?         for   council wedding          and
yang dijangka Ogos ini akan disimpan untuk kenangan kami sekeluarga buat selama-
who  expect August this will to keep      memory    we     family    to do  ?
lamanya.
  ?

“All goods ___ for (the) council wedding Hamdan and Nazatul who are expecting will keep them in August on our minds and our family will do everything. ”

Code: Select all

“Saya reda dengan pemergian Hamdan dan dua lagi adik, Mohd Sobri dan Nor Aznira,
I to decrease with  ?       name  and two also younger sibling
selepas terbabit dalam kemalangan ngeri itu. Mungkin Allah lebih menyayangi mereka,”
 ?   involve  inside  unfortunate terrible that maybe         more    ?       them
kata Yusran Yusof, 29, abang kepada tiga beradik yang maut selepas Proton Wira dinaiki
word                    1                           death    ?                       ?
 mereka bertembung dengan sebuah van di Kilometer 39, Jalan Maran-Bandar Jengka,
 they     meet      with   fruit  van  at
dekat Jengka 20, malam kelmarin.
near            night day before yesterday
1 older brother to (person) three having siblings

"I'm reducing ___ with ___ and Hamdan's two younger siblings, Mohd Sobri and Nor Aznira, always getting themselves into unfortunate situations. Maybe god will help them,' said Yusran Yusof, 29, younger sibling of three siblings who died in Proton Wira ___ they met with them at Kilometer 39, at Jalan Maran-Bandar Jengka, near Jengka 20, the night before yesterday."

ikanbilis

Re: daily articles

Postby ikanbilis » 2008-12-16, 13:34

Hi Kman1,

I'd just comment on the first article:

barang persiapan = preparation goods

majlis perkahwinan= marriage feast

yang dijangka=which was expected

akan disimpan=will be kept

kenangan=remembrance, souvenir

buat selama-lamanya=forever

Regards~~

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2008-12-17, 13:20

thanks, so the second article is good then? :hmm:

jerantutferry

Postby jerantutferry » 2009-03-11, 14:00

kman1 wrote:thanks, so the second article is good then? :hmm:

Hehehe... No, sebuah van does not mean a fruit truck!

Sebuah (se-buah) is one thing whereby the thing being described is a countable noun. Dua buah means two things i.e. dua buah peluru = two bullets. Buah is used to describe general inanimate objects.

Examples:
tiga biji bola = ten balls
empat biji mata = four eyes
biji used to describe round objects and is pronounced bijik. Bijik is also slang for clitoris so use it carefully!

other examples:
selaras senapang = a rifle
sepucuk surat = a letter
sebakul buah = a basket load of fruits
Жерантутферрй

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”