Very simple Indonesian questions..

Moderator:atalarikt

quevagibe
Very simple Indonesian questions..

Postby quevagibe » 2008-01-31, 18:22

HELLO!

I ve just recently started to study indonesian, therefore my level is rather low as I am starting from scratch!
i do have 2 (more than likely, very easy) questions about it...

1. Bicara/ berbicara

I have actually cheated a little in my book, and have seen that later there will be a chapter on these prefixes, but right now i am just listening to Pimsleur Indonesian, where they use "bicara". However, 2 phrasebooks i saw while in Indonesia, both used "berbicara".

Is there a difference in register between the two or are they interchangeable or it makes no difference?

2. "Di mana....?" vs ".....Di mana?"

I have no idea where to place "Di mana" in a sentence. One source says at the start of the sentence, but another says at the end of the sentence.
Does it matter where it is? is one more formal or archaic?

Terima kasih atas bantuannya! 8)

0stsee

Voilà

Postby 0stsee » 2008-01-31, 22:28

Hola i benvingut/-vinguda, Quevagibe!

Quina bona sorpresa que aprenguis el indonesià! :D
Perdona'm, però he oblidat moltíssim del meu valencià, perquè no tinc ningù amb qui puc parlar..

Bueno, en el cas de "bicara" vs. "berbicara", els dos són correctes, "berbicara" és una mica més formal.

Si bé que la nostra morfologi no sigui tan complicat, tenim un sintax bastant llibre tanmateix. Entonces, pots escollir ón vols posar el "di mana". :wink:

Ho sento si no enténs el valencià. Ho podré escriure de nou en anglès (o castellà, si vols).
Lo siento si no entendés el valenciano. Lo podré escribir otra vez en inglés o castellano, si querés.

Espero que això t'hagi ajudat, i que't vagi bé!

Salutacions,

MarK
Ini tandatanganku.

quevagibe

Postby quevagibe » 2008-02-01, 0:29

Ok Mark, thanks a lot for your explanation!

Maybe I live in Barcelona, and have a catalan nick, but I am australian! (dont worry, i can understand your catalan/valencian but just dont expect me to write in it!)

Im sure I ll have many more questions in the future where you can practise writing in valencian 8) si vols.

I started learning indonesian only this year, as i am astounded by how many australians dont speak the language of our important neighbour...!

thanks a lot for your help!

0stsee

Indonesian in Australia

Postby 0stsee » 2008-02-01, 2:12

Well, I read that Indonesian used to be relatively popular in Australian schools. In early nineties or something. But hasn't there been a negative sentiment against Indonesia in Australia? Which would explain why there's not much interest in the language.
In any case, I'm glad you're learning my language.

A story for encouragement:
Last month my German friends came along to Indonesia. One of them had been learning Indonesian for about a year, and he was able to converse without much problem with the people. He basically was able to wander about there alone, without being afraid of not being able to communicate with the people he met!

If you got other questions I'll be happy to help you.

Daah!!

MarK
Ini tandatanganku.

quevagibe

Postby quevagibe » 2008-02-04, 21:22

well, from what i know, it is becoming more popular now. When I was at school, until 1998, it was very difficult to find a school where you were able to study, but now it is common, especially in primary schools...
a former immigration minister recently suggested that every schoolchild should study either indonesian or mandarin.
But,yes there has been a lot of negative sentiment in australia towards indonesia (although i think there always has been!) especially with everything in Bali and drugs...

But i do think it is easy to pick up indonesian..i was there for 2 weeks, in january, and studied a lot while i was there by myself, and picked up a bit..the locasl were very impressed with my simple sentences! 8)

0stsee

Indonesian easy

Postby 0stsee » 2008-02-05, 23:24

That's nice.

I just watched Australian Idol on Youtube today, and there's this warmth and relaxedness I perceived among Australians. Hard to explain what I mean.

I was impressed myself about how quickly foreigners learn Indonesian. Made me realize how easy the language is.

You basically just need to learn some basic words, a few suffixes, and you're like ready to go!
I myself am pretty baffled.
Ini tandatanganku.

Edelweis

Re: Very simple Indonesian questions..

Postby Edelweis » 2009-06-16, 8:45

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to learn Bahasa Indonesia after i visted Indonesia and fell in love with the country and how hospitable lockal people are and i want to be able to talk to them in their language.

Please help me if there is any easier way to ask "What is your hobby?"
My phrasebook suggests "Apa yang Anda suka lakukan kalau lagi sengang?"
But i was wondering if it is some alternative to ask the same. Would it be correct to ask "Hobi Anda apa? "

And also one more question. When i am asked "Mau ke mana ?" - is it polite to reply "Makan angin" (according to my phrasebook)
Terima kasih!

0stsee

makan angin

Postby 0stsee » 2009-06-18, 13:09

Halo Edelweis!

"Hobi Anda apa?" is perfect! :D
Btw, the example from the phrasebook meant senggang (bukan *sengang).

"Makan angin"? I personally don't know that expression.
If someone asks me "Mau ke mana?" I simply tell them where I'm going to or my plans.
Ini tandatanganku.

Edelweis

Postby Edelweis » 2009-06-18, 15:24

0stsee wrote:phrasebook meant senggang (bukan *sengang).

Terima kasih Mark!
Indonesian language is very bewildering some words sound really similar and have difference in only one letter. Thank you for correcting me.
0stsee wrote:If someone asks me "Mau ke mana?" I simply tell them where I'm going to or my plans.

:mrgreen: Hopefully i will also be able to say it. So far i can only reply if i go to museum, tokonya, hotel, wakop dan bandara. :oops:

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2009-06-23, 22:04

Edelweis wrote:
0stsee wrote:phrasebook meant senggang (bukan *sengang).

Terima kasih Mark!
Indonesian language is very bewildering some words sound really similar and have difference in only one letter. Thank you for correcting me.
Sama-sama!
:D Temanku juga bilang begitu. Dia mulai belajar Bahasa Indonésia sekitar tiga tahun lalu, dan dia kebingungan karena ada banyak kata yang mirip satu sama lain.

Edelweis wrote:
0stsee wrote:If someone asks me "Mau ke mana?" I simply tell them where I'm going to or my plans.

:mrgreen: Hopefully i will also be able to say it. So far i can only reply if i go to museum, tokonya, hotel, wakop dan bandara. :oops:

Ngga pa-pa koq. (=That's alright.)
Kalau bingung mau jawab apa, bilang aja "Lagi jalan-jalan aja.". :D

Btw, what do you mean with tokonya and wakop?

PS: aja = saja
Ini tandatanganku.

Edelweis

Postby Edelweis » 2009-06-26, 7:33

0stsee wrote: Sama-sama!
:D Temanku juga bilang begitu. Dia mulai belajar Bahasa Indonésia sekitar tiga tahun lalu, dan dia kebingungan karena ada banyak kata yang mirip satu sama lain.

Ja saya mengerti! Bahasa Anda cucup bagus dan saya mengerti dengan baik! :bounce: :good4u:

0stsee wrote:Kalau bingung mau jawab apa, bilang aja "Lagi jalan-jalan aja.". :D
Btw, what do you mean with tokonya and wakop?
PS: aja = saja

Ja baik, saya harus pula menghafalkan ini jika baru saja. :oops:
tokonya =>toko=> shop
warkop = cafe
Apakah ini benar? :ohwell: :hmm:

Desmond

Re: makan angin

Postby Desmond » 2009-06-27, 16:25

0stsee wrote:"Makan angin"? I personally don't know that expression.
If someone asks me "Mau ke mana?" I simply tell them where I'm going to or my plans.

I think "makan angin" is quite commonly used. You can say that instead of saying you take a walk or strolling down the street. I use that quite frequently :D

"Hei Desmond! Mau kemana?"
"Makan angin!"

Edelweis wrote:tokonya =>toko=> shop
warkop = cafe
Apakah ini benar?

toko = shop/store
nya = his/her

warkop is a short for WARung KOPi, coffee shop.

Welcome to BI forum, Edelweis. My name is Desmond :)

Edelweis

Re: makan angin

Postby Edelweis » 2009-06-29, 5:30

Desmond wrote:Welcome to BI forum, Edelweis. My name is Desmond :)

Terima kasih Desmond!
Nama saya Edelweis.
Saya senang bertemu dengan Anda.
Apakah anda dari Jakarta?
Apa kabar anda? :wink:

Desmond wrote:"Makan angin!"

It means my Lonely planet Phrasebook is correct so sometimes i can use this phrase also. :ohwell:

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2009-06-29, 12:28

Oh ya? Saya tidak ingat pernah menggunakan istilah "makan angin". :oops:

Ya. Bahasa Indonésia mémang kaya raya. Ada banyak pilihan. Héhé. :D
Ini tandatanganku.

Yokhan JN

Postby Yokhan JN » 2009-09-08, 10:13

Salam kenal semuanya! :)

Istilah "makan angin" merupakan terjemahan langsung dari Bahasa Tionghoa, terutama Hokkien, yaitu 食風 (cia8-huang1 / cia8-hong1), artinya "jalan-jalan".

The term "makan angin" is a direct translation from Chinese, particularly Hokkien (Minnan), i.e. 食風 (cia8-huang1 / cia8-hong1), synonymous with "jalan-jalan".

Yes, Bahasa Indonesia is one of the beautiful languages I love! Or rather, I think all languages can be beautiful and have each beautiful version, and Indonesian is the beautiful version among Malay-based languages, particularly compared to Malaysian.

BanuBGSK

Postby BanuBGSK » 2011-04-23, 4:13

iya, "makan angin" itu sebuah istilah yang artinya jalan-jalan.
sama seperti "buah tangan" yang artinya oleh-oleh.

my english is not too good. hope you understand my indonesian :blush:
Kita akan selalu belajar selama kita hidup.

amada

Postby amada » 2011-09-08, 11:56

hai semua
maaf saya baru saja gabung

jump in this topic.
for " makan angin "
I think others can remember the way to say may be :
" cari angin "
it more comfy to say than makan angin,
then when somebody asks you,
" mau kemana "
it common to respond with : " cari angin aja "
it means walking / hang out without any purpose/ for relaxing

there are some expressions using " angin " in daily phrase.like
" masuk angin "
" buang angin "
" angin malam "

sorry if my english is bad. :silly:

salam semuanya
Nunca esquecerei o tempo que passei contigo. Te peço que sigas sendo meu amigo, da mesma maneira que eu sempre serei o teu. (Ludwig Van Beethoven)

vindalooman

Postby vindalooman » 2011-09-09, 12:39

amada wrote:hai semua
maaf saya baru saja gabung

Welcome, good to see someone who is a native speaker of Bahasa Indonesia here :)

amada wrote:there are some expressions using " angin " in daily phrase.like
" masuk angin "
" buang angin "
" angin malam "

Yah, saya sudah mendengar "masuk angin" banyak kali ketika saya bicara dengan orang Indonesia.
Apakah itu arti "feel sick" in general?
Apa arti "buang angin" dan "angin malam"?

amada wrote:sorry if my english is bad. :silly:
salam semuanya

Don't worry, your english is not bad at all... and after all, we are all here to learn languages, no?
Kita semua di sini untuk belajar bahasa-bahasa, kan?

VindalooMan
"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do..."

amada

Postby amada » 2011-09-19, 4:08

Yah, saya sudah mendengar "masuk angin" banyak kali ketika saya bicara dengan orang Indonesia.
Apakah itu arti "feel sick" in general?

in general it means : getting cold, feel not good ( getting sick ) but there is a huge meaning around them hahhaha

this explanation that i got from one site for expatriat;
OMasuk angin is a symptom of getting sick (usually the incubation period of getting flu/cold). The symptoms are: feeling dizzy, body temperature is above normal (but you feel cold, like a fever), you feel sick inside your stomach (wanting to throw up, similar to feeling seasick if you've ever been in that situation), and cold sweats.

Masuk angin is the ordinary Indonesian's term for feeling unwell. Some people are so vulnerable to changing weather, from dry season to rainy season (we call this pancaroba - period in changing weather/season), for example; and they blame the wind (angin) as the cause). It's called masuk angin because the wind gets into your body.

If you hang out all night long (begadang), short of sleep/rest, and get angin into your body (night wind), you could catch masuk angin and feel unwell when you wake up in the morning.

Masuk angin can mean ... indigestion, heartburn, achy flu feeling, upset stomach, and ... catching a cold .. all of which are caused by the wind, you know :)
:doggy:

Apa arti "buang angin"

It means farting < :mrgreen:

Don't worry, your english is not bad at all... and after all, we are all here to learn languages, no?

yea that's true. I just worried if my explanation getting unclear because of slab split in languange :?: :!:
Nunca esquecerei o tempo que passei contigo. Te peço que sigas sendo meu amigo, da mesma maneira que eu sempre serei o teu. (Ludwig Van Beethoven)

vindalooman

Postby vindalooman » 2011-09-19, 22:28

amada wrote:Masuk angin can mean ... indigestion, heartburn, achy flu feeling, upset stomach, and ... catching a cold .. all of which are caused by the wind, you know :)[/color] :doggy:

Terima kasih untuk keterangan ini :-) Saya percaya "masuk angin" berasal dari tradisi. Tetapi pertama kali saya mendengar itu saya bisa bingung "mengapa semua penyakit bisa dinama masuk angin? aneh banget!" :)

amada wrote:
Apa arti "buang angin"

It means farting < :mrgreen:

Oh I see, slang is always good and useful to know :-)
Tetapi saya tidak pikir saya harus hati hati tentang bicara kata itu :-)

VindalooMan
"It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do..."

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”