Bokmal vs Nynorsk

Moderator:Johanna

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Bokmal vs Nynorsk

Postby Johanna » 2013-02-18, 9:30

Next time, ask them if they've switched nationalities and become Swedes :P Since that attitude about how natives should speak their own language is so very, very Swedish.

That should make them think.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Shad

Postby Shad » 2013-02-18, 13:56

You all should speak Danish, anyway.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2014-04-20, 2:20

If I learn Bokmal to a high level, would I have any trouble reading Nynorsk?
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Ífaradà

Postby Ífaradà » 2014-04-20, 12:41

Yasna wrote:If I learn Bokmal to a high level, would I have any trouble reading Nynorsk?
It depends on how deep the Nynorsk is and your ability to identify words that means the same thing, but are spelt slightly different (i.e: hva (Bokmål), kva (Nynorsk), what (English), but generally you'll be able to understand most of it.
-Native: Yoruba & Norwegian
-Intermediate: English

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2014-04-20, 16:58

Yasna wrote:If I learn Bokmal to a high level, would I have any trouble reading Nynorsk?

I have learned Bokmål to a high level and I can read Nynorsk. Though not as smoothly and with a higher chance of stumbling upon unknown words that I look up and hopefully learn.

Looking up the basic differences between the two and reading a few books in Nynorsk helped me a lot.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-04-23, 16:09

Swedish can help you with Nynorsk too. :mrgreen:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

MikaelJan

Postby MikaelJan » 2014-04-24, 9:37

Like godt kan nynorsk hjelpe deg med svensk! ;) But true, reading Swedish books helped me alot with nynorsk.
And Oslo folks have begun with that long time ago, it's not typical Swedish, but typical capitol. I can state that as a person who grew up in Warsaw.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-05-01, 18:29

Velkommen til det norske språk forumet MikaelJan! :welcome:

MikaelJan wrote:I can state that as a person who grew up in Warsaw.

Er det en stor forandring for deg å leve i Norge etter å ha bodd i Polen?
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Meneghis

Postby Meneghis » 2015-01-02, 22:34

Jeg har nylig begynt å lære Bokmål, men jeg synes Nynorsk like interessant.
Corrections are welcome

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2015-01-03, 0:22

Velkommen til det norske språk forumet Meneghis! :welcome:
Meneghis wrote:Jeg har nylig begynt å lære bokmål, men jeg synes nynorsk like interessant.
Det er interessant at du ønsker å lære norsk, spesielt både bokmål og nynorsk. Har du planer om å reise og / eller bor i Norge?
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Meneghis

Postby Meneghis » 2015-01-03, 9:46

Raufoss wrote:Velkommen til det norske språk forumet Meneghis! :welcome:
Meneghis wrote:Jeg har nylig begynt å lære bokmål, men jeg synes nynorsk like interessant.
Det er interessant at du ønsker å lære norsk, spesielt både bokmål og nynorsk. Har du planer om å reise og / eller bor i Norge?

Takk, Raufoss!
Jeg har besøkt Norge to ganger, men nå jeg er bare interessert i språket!
Corrections are welcome

Desu

Postby Desu » 2015-01-09, 19:49

Helt ærlig, så skulle jeg ønske at det å studere nynorsk på skolen kunne vært valgfritt. Jeg har ingen nytte av å lære meg nynorsk regler, når jeg like så godt kunne ha fokusert på andre viktigere fag..

Ífaradà

Postby Ífaradà » 2015-01-11, 17:58

Desu wrote:Helt ærlig, så skulle jeg ønske at det å studere nynorsk på skolen kunne vært valgfritt. Jeg har ingen nytte av å lære meg nynorsk regler, når jeg like så godt kunne ha fokusert på andre viktigere fag..
Nynorsk er en del av norskfaget, så nynorskdelen hadde bare blitt erstattet med mer norsk historie, sannsynligvis. Nynorsk er en blanding av norsk talemål slik det ble talt uten nevneverdig dansk påvirkning, i motsetning til bokmålet. Sånn sett er nynorsk mer norsk enn bokmål.

Det er også betenkelig at man syter så mye over nynorsk i skolen, når man i alt i alt ikke bruker så veldig mye tid på det.
-Native: Yoruba & Norwegian
-Intermediate: English

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-11, 18:59

Desu wrote:Helt ærlig, så skulle jeg ønske at det å studere nynorsk på skolen kunne vært valgfritt. Jeg har ingen nytte av å lære meg nynorsk regler, når jeg like så godt kunne ha fokusert på andre viktigere fag..

Stavanger dialect is something like 90% Nynorsk, and still Stavanger politicians and faux-high class are forcing diglossia on locals imposing two gendered Dano-Norwegian Bokmaal with -et past tense, which is so different than the Stavanger dialect. Why do you want to use the language is further apart from your spoken tongue? This is called diglossia, and it's not really something to be proud of.

Someone from Jæren can enjoy the Norwegian language to the fullest, since they can write close to the way they speak, the local dialect is also 90% Nynorsk-like, but the locals are not Nynorsk-hating, but Nynorsk-writing.

This is what Freud called ''narcisism of small differences''.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism ... ifferences

People from Stavanger and Haugesund hate Nynorsk since they can see it in their dialect,
and local bourgeoisie imposed Bokmaal as the sole official form in those cities.

Isn't it strange, Bergen, Oslo and Tromsø are language-form neutral, but Stavanger and Haugesund are Bokmaal-only cities. They seem to have an issue with Nynorsk.

People from Bergen tolerate Nynorsk since they don't perceive it as a threat (Bergen dialect and Nynorsk are further apart so there's more tolerance), Bergens Tidende is along with SMP the largest Nynorsk-publishing newspaper (even though only 20 % of daily content is in Nynorsk), and the official language form in Bergen's University Hospital is Nynorsk.

I feel sorry for nynorsk users in Rogaland, since they are being devoured by politicians and right wing bourgeoisie promoting intolerance and nynorskphobia.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Desu

Postby Desu » 2015-01-11, 23:01

TeneReef wrote:

Stavanger dialect is something like 90% Nynorsk, and still Stavanger politicians and faux-high class are forcing diglossia on locals imposing two gendered Dano-Norwegian Bokmaal with -et past tense, which is so different than the Stavanger dialect. Why do you want to use the language is further apart from your spoken tongue? This is called diglossia, and it's not really something to be proud of.

Someone from Jæren can enjoy the Norwegian language to the fullest, since they can write close to the way they speak, the local dialect is also 90% Nynorsk-like, but the locals are not Nynorsk-hating, but Nynorsk-writing.

This is what Freud called ''narcisism of small differences''.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism ... ifferences

People from Stavanger and Haugesund hate Nynorsk since they can see it in their dialect,
and local bourgeoisie imposed Bokmaal as the sole official form in those cities.

Isn't it strange, Bergen, Oslo and Tromsø are language-form neutral, but Stavanger and Haugesund are Bokmaal-only cities. They seem to have an issue with Nynorsk.

People from Bergen tolerate Nynorsk since they don't perceive it as a threat (Bergen dialect and Nynorsk are further apart so there's more tolerance), Bergens Tidende is along with SMP the largest Nynorsk-publishing newspaper (even though only 20 % of daily content is in Nynorsk), and the official language form in Bergen's University Hospital is Nynorsk.

I feel sorry for nynorsk users in Rogaland, since they are being devoured by politicians and right wing bourgeoisie promoting intolerance and nynorskphobia.

I think it's because nynorsk is so similar to my own dialect that it's easier to make mistakes and harder to remember the correct rules. And there are many differences with nynorsk and my dialect too. For example I never say "kjærleik" and "fortelje".
I've grown up with writing in bokmål, so it comes naturally to spell words differently than they are pronounced. It's just like with English, in English few words are actually pronounced how they are spelled.

I believe that if we were introduced to nynorsk earlier in school, people wouldn't be so negative towards it. But because we start with it in middle school it's harder to learn it within a short time. And what's even worse is that they expect the same level of proficiency from us in both nynorsk and bokmål even though we only started with nynorsk in 8th grade.

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”