any good online resources to learn Norwegian?

Moderator:Johanna

littlepond
any good online resources to learn Norwegian?

Postby littlepond » 2016-09-25, 15:27

Hello everyone,

I am planning to learn Norwegian as I really love the country and go there often: but, very frustratingly, I am not finding enough resources online so I can learn some initial stuff at least. I am now thinking of going for Swedish instead, as I am finding a lot of stuff to learn it online, and as Swedish and Norwegian are mutually comprehensible to quite a degree, I guess.

But if someone knows any good resources for Norwegian here, I would be grateful, so I won't have to abandon my original plan. Thanks in advance!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

Raufoss

Re: any good online resources to learn Norwegian?

Postby Raufoss » 2016-09-25, 19:31

littlepond wrote:Hello everyone,

Hei littlepond! :wave:

Velkommen til det norske språk forumet! :welcome:

Welcome to the Norwegian language forum!

littlepond wrote:I am planning to learn Norwegian as I really love the country and go there often:

That's great to hear that you get to travel to Norway often! :y: Which parts of the country have you been to?

littlepond wrote:...I am not finding enough resources online so I can learn some initial stuff at least.

I'm happy to say that you will find a lot of good online resources here in this forum. :) I recommend that you start with the following thread:

Useful Links

littlepond wrote:Thanks in advance!

One way to write "Thanks in advance!" på norsk (in Norwegian) is "På forhånd takk!"

Please feel free to return to this forum as often as you like and hopefully you will receive the help you want.

Lykke til! :y:

Good luck!
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2016-09-25, 19:51

Here are the links to two more threads you might be interested in:

Beginner

How can I start to learn Norwegian?

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2016-09-25, 19:55

Hello, and welcome!

I hear good things about Duolingo. While I haven't really used the site myself, I have taken the Norwegian placement test, and I found no mistranslations. All examples were also practical, including many everyday expressions. This might be one of the better free beginner resources out there.

Also, be sure to check out our useful links thread that Raufoss has linked to. There are many good intermediate resources to be found there.

Welcome again, and hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2016-09-29, 0:01

Astrum wrote:I hear good things about Duolingo. While I haven't really used the site myself, I have taken the Norwegian placement test, and I found no mistranslations. All examples were also practical, including many everyday expressions. This might be one of the better free beginner resources out there.

Yes, this looks like a very good way for beginning students of Norwegian to get started. I really like the "Streak Count" that Duolingo uses to motivate students "to stay on track by recording how many days in a row" they spend learning Norwegian. :y:

I feel that being consistent is very important when you're serious about learning a language and that is why it's a goal of mine to learn at least one new word in Norwegian every day. One way I'm able to accomplish this is by visiting the site Norwegian Word of the Day every day and posting to the Dagens ord eller uttrykk (Daily word or expression) thread as often as I can. :)

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-02-22, 21:38

Raufoss wrote:Velkommen til det norske språk forumet! :welcome:

Hei Raufoss! Thanks a lot: so finally, after such a long time since your reply to my post, I have really started learning it. I did find a couple of nice resources after searching around on this forum, but some links are broken. However, I recently found a book as well in a local library, so my Norwegian learning adventure has finally indeed taken off, and hopefully in a couple of days, I will start asking more questions (plus writing a bit in Norsk).

Raufoss wrote:That's great to hear that you get to travel to Norway often! :y: Which parts of the country have you been to?

Only been till Selje/Alesund area, not further up. I often go to Oslo, and may be moving there soon as well (so it'd be not just fun but practical to learn good Norsk).

Raufoss wrote:Good luck!

Takk skal du ha!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-02-22, 21:40

Astrum wrote:Hello, and welcome!

I hear good things about Duolingo.

Thanks, Astrum! I am not a fan of Duolingo or flash cards, but thanks for the suggestion, Astrum! I will buy some books, get some on loan from libraries, plus find some online resources, so it should be good with that. You will be seeing me now from time to time on this forum with my questions.

Tusen takk!

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”