Feris

Moderator:Johanna

Swifty
Feris

Postby Swifty » 2016-03-02, 7:22

Hallo. Unnskyld meg å bruke engelsk (Google translate)

On a road sign, what does "Feris" mean?
På et veiskilt, hva betyr "Feris" betyr?

h34

Re: Feris

Postby h34 » 2016-03-02, 20:06

Hi, was it really 'feris' or perhaps 'ferist'?
Hei, var det virkelig 'feris' eller kanskje 'ferist'?

A 'ferist' is a cattlegrid, I think. As Norwegian Wikipedia puts it: "en rist (=a grid) anbrakt (= fixed :?: ) på tvers av veibanen (=across the road), for å hindre (= in order to prevent) husdyr (= cattle) i å passere langs veien (= from moving along the road)."
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferist

Please wait for native speakers to confirm this.

Swifty

Postby Swifty » 2016-03-03, 9:41

It could easily be "Ferist". I'm looking at images in Google Street View, and sometimes you lose a part at the joins. Also, you sometimes gain doubled letters.

I looked at this signpost from several places, and I also studied the road surface, to see if there was a cattle grid. The letters "fer" made me look for iron and steel. But I still had to ask!

Thank you for the word "Ferist". I'm building a list of words that I might see on Norweigan road signs, where there's no picture. I'll shout out the word as I'm driving, and my wife will tell me what to expect... (she usually does).

"Ferist" will be an important sign. Whenever we drive over a cattle grid, my dog tries to jump in my lap... but he knows the English "cattle grid!" call, and he relaxes.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2016-03-04, 2:42

Confirmed :) It's a fairly common sign inland, mostly off the main roads, but not always. Sometimes it'll also say felås ("cattle lock") if it's electric. Remember to be on the lookout for sheep or cattle sleeping in the road once you've passed the cattle guard! But if you're British, and you've spent some time up in Yorkshire or down in Dartmoor, I guess you're familiar with the danger :lol: Also, keep in mind that dogs have to be in their cage when driving here, so try not to get pulled over if you're not planning on keeping him/her in one :wink:

I crossed a cattle guard on a road trip two years ago and completely forgot about it after almost 10 miles of driving on a fairly wide road. Then I encountered a sheep sleeping in the shade. My dog was startled by the sudden braking, so I calmed her down by shooing :P
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Swifty

Postby Swifty » 2016-03-04, 8:41

Thank you for the confirmation of "Feris".
I'm used to sheep; we have a holiday cottage on the Isle of Mull, Scotland. There are far more sheep than people.
It was the Scottish scenery that made us want to see Norway.

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”