NORWEGIAN DISCUSSION // Norskdrøfting

Moderator:Johanna

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-09-26, 15:49

Hei! This corner has been quite silent! So, I've decided to choose another song and make its lyrics avaiblable here if you want to translate and study it! Go search and listen to it!

Still one more about the summer! Btw, sommeren var på hell seems to mean "the summer was up to the end, it was almost over"...

Postgirobygget - Hva er bedre da

hva er bedre da
Tekst og musikk: Arne Hurlen

Sommer endelig sommer
bli her jeg lover
har en bolle i ovnen
du som gir meg presanger
ligger og sover
på en luftmadrass ved min side

Si det, hva er bedre

Fredag endelig fredag
lenge til mandag
vi har for mange planer
nå som tiden står stille
hva skal vi gjøre
kanskje bade og grille og elske

Hva er bedre da
hva er bedre da

Mandag lenge til fredag
bakrus fra lørdag
må på arbeid og streve
ennå en uke til ferie
til vi kan leve
hva med ferie resten av livet

Si meg, hva er bedre
si meg, hva er bedre da
jeg håper jeg aldri får svar
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-09-27, 19:24

E}{pugnator wrote:Hei! This corner has been quite silent! So, I've decided to choose another song and make its lyrics avaiblable here if you want to translate and study it!

Was it your intention that somebody would come and post the translation, or did you just want to post the norwegian texts?
-
Var det meningen din at noen skulle komme og skrive oversettningen, eller ville du bare sette de norske tekstene her?

Axystos.

What is 'to post (something on the forum)' in norwegian?
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-09-27, 20:35

Was it your intention that somebody would come and post the translation, or did you just want to post the norwegian texts?

Well, as I don't know enough Norwegian to do translations...The songs are just suggestions, we may choose another song, it doesn't matter...

What is 'to post (something on the forum)' in norwegian?

I have no idea...
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Rusle

Postby Rusle » 2003-10-06, 14:41

Postgirobygget - Hva er bedre da

hva er bedre da
What is better then.

Tekst og musikk: Arne Hurlen

Sommer endelig sommer
Summer at last summer

bli her jeg lover
stay here I promise

har en bolle i ovnen *
have a bun in the oven

du som gir meg presanger
You who gives me presents

ligger og sover
lying and sleeping

på en luftmadrass ved min side
on an air mattress by my side

Si det, hva er bedre
say it, what can be better.

Fredag endelig fredag
Friday at last friday

lenge til mandag
long(time) to monday

vi har for mange planer
We have to many plans

nå som tiden står stille
now as the time stand still.

hva skal vi gjøre
What are we going to do

kanskje bade og grille og elske
Maybe bathe and barbeque and make love.

Hva er bedre da
What is better then.

hva er bedre da
What is better then.

Mandag lenge til fredag
Monday long time to friday

bakrus fra lørdag
Hangover from saturday

må på arbeid og streve
Have to go to work and work hard

ennå en uke til ferie
still a wek to vacation

til vi kan leve
until we can live

hva med ferie resten av livet
what about the rest of the life

Si meg, hva er bedre
Tell me, what is better

si meg, hva er bedre da
tell me, what is better then

I hope I will never get an answer

I hope I will never get an answer

*expression also used about pregnancy

I am not satified with my translation, several part of the translation into english does not sound right, but I hope it might be of some help anyway.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2003-10-06, 20:26

That's a cool song. ;) You're the first person I've seen here from Norway. Bienvenue! :P
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » 2003-10-06, 21:13

I was looking through Hugo's Norwegian in Three Monthes, and they mentioned that in colloquial Bokmål many people distinguish three genders (en, ei, et). Is this true? :?: Swedish doesn't have three genders in the colloquial language, does it?

They also mentioned that this distinction is always made Nynorsk.

Ozy

P.S. Oui! Bienvenue à Unilang Rusle! :P

Rusle

Postby Rusle » 2003-10-07, 11:03

Ozymandias wrote:I was looking through Hugo's Norwegian in Three Monthes, and they mentioned that in colloquial Bokmål many people distinguish three genders (en, ei, et). Is this true? :?:

yes but som people use only two (en , et)
So you can write:
en bok , boken or
ei bok , boka (a book , the book)
Both versions would be corect, but you should not miks
en bok, boka

Ozymandias wrote:Swedish doesn't have three genders in the colloquial language, does it?

I think they only got two (en, ett)
I do not write anything in swedish, but I have no problems understanding them.(except people from Skåne :) ), I think growing upp with swedish television has been of some help.

Ozymandias wrote:They also mentioned that this distinction is always made Nynorsk.

Yes, in Nynorsk there are three gender ( ein, ei, eit ) and you can not avoid one of them as you can do in bokmål.

Arild Madsen

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-10-07, 15:59

Hei og velkom Rusle!

Rusle wrote:Both versions would be corect, but you should not miks
en bok, boka

I've heard that there are people who mix it, because they think it sounds "snobbish" just to use one form. Is that true?

Jeg har hört* at det er mennesker som mikser det, fordi de tenker det klinger "snobbish" bare aa bruke én form. Er det sant?

* I haven't installed a programme to type Norwegian letters yet.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-10-07, 21:49

Try this, Car:

Alt+0229
Alt+0230
Alt+0248

Rusle

Postby Rusle » 2003-10-07, 22:50

Well.. I see my attempt to explain has made a bitt of confusion.
Second attempt:
I norwegian we have three gender; feminine(hunkjønn), neuter(intetkjønn) and the masculine gender(hankjønn)

Feminine gender (hunkjønn) uses indefinite article(Ubestemt artikkel)ei
ei bok, boka ( a book, the book)

neuter gender (intetkjønn) uses indefinite article(Ubestemt artikkel) et
et hus, huset (a house, the house)

masculine gender (intetkjønn) uses indefinite article(Ubestemt artikkel) en
en båt, båten (a boat , the boat)

instead of feminine gender you can use masculine gender, but feminine gender can not be used instead of masculine gender.
you can not write ei båt, but you might write en bok
If you choose to write en bok you should use the form boken and not [colo r=green]boka[/color] later.
You can of course still use the feminine gender on other substantives if you want to.

Car wrote:I've heard that there are people who mix it, because they think it sounds "snobbish" just to use one form. Is that true?

Jeg har hørt at det er mennesker som mikser det, fordi de tenker det klinger snobbete bare å bruke en form. Er det sant?

Yes that is true.
Ja det er sant.

Especially if you use the masculine gender on words where the possibility to use the feminine gender should be quite obvious.
ei søster a sister
ei tante a aunt
ei jente a girl :)

johnson

From a newbie

Postby johnson » 2003-10-11, 17:56

Hei alle sammen,
Jeg haaper aa laere norsk vertig god. Jeg laerer aa lese og skrive norsk naa, ut paa vil jeg laere aa snakker norsk.
Takk for unilang!
Ha det godt

Hello everyone,
I hope to learn Norwegian very well. I'm learning to read and write Norwegian now, later i will learn to speak Norwegian.
Thanks for unilang
Take care.
johnson
Uf Da-this is hard.

Strigo

Hallo

Postby Strigo » 2003-10-25, 17:13

Hallo!

Jeg er Carlos :)

I want to start to learn a Scandinavian language, I'd chosen Swedish first.... but I heard some advices and things from a good friend and I decided to learn this beautiful language.

Let's try to wake this corner up and let's talk about Norwegian!. :)

Today I signed up to the Norword Courses (I hope I signed up well, because I do wanna receive the lessons) and I'm trying to download some songs.

I've read Norwegian is an easy language, is it???

Bokmål and Nynorsk.... BAC told me Nynorsk is the commonly spoken in Oslo, but Bokmål is more useful.

I have to go now and, let's learn Norwegian!

Carlos.

Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-10-25, 17:29

Hei Carlos!

The NorWord course is good, I started with it, too. For me, Norwegian is quite easy and I'd say it shouldn't be too difficult for you either. There's only one form for each tense of a verb. But there are quite a lot of irregular verbs.

Nynorsk is not spoken in Oslo, they speak Bokmål there. But here's an article about it:

"Nynorsk
Nynorsk is one of the two variants of Norwegian language, and is used by 10-15 percent of the population. This language is supposed to represent the Norwegian dialects, and is thus more open to lexical diversity and flexibility than bokmål (Book Language), also when used in radio and television. Nynorsk is mostly used in western Norway and in the valleys of southern Norway. In the heavily populated areas around Oslo, nynorsk is normally not used, as in northern Norway, most towns, in business life etc. For many Norwegians, nynorsk is rural and oldfashioned. Bokmål has a geographical and social centre (in Oslo, in the upper class etc), nynorsk does not have this. In stead, institutions like the schools, the church, and NRK - the Norwegian Broacasting Corporation - are important scenes for the use of nynorsk.

Nynorsk vs bokmål
Bokmål is the dominating variant of Norwegian, and the norm for spoken bokmål is quite close to the dialects of Oslo. Although pupils are never taught to speak either bokmål or nynorsk in Norwegian schools, the Oslo dialect(s) and spoken bokmål is very common in Norway and quite easy for many to use. The users of bokmål in radio and television have probably a quite clear impression of correct/acceptable/incorrect, suitable/unsuitable etc in the spoken version of their written language. Their norm is also prestigeous and quite stable.

The opposite can in many cases be said about nynorsk. But media usage is important for the nynorsk language, especially in radio and television, where nobody can "avoid" the often unpopular nynorsk. The nynorsk users do have their clear role models in radio and television, but the written nynorsk is quite open to lexical variety - and also variation in the way of spelling words. Further, this manifold is reflected in the oral usage of the language. It is many ways of speaking nynorsk, the norm is not stable. This fact makes it possible to track influence and loyality in the construction of the spoken version of nynorsk. "

Source: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy ... ritten.htm

In general one can say that Norwegians speak their local dialect, but write Nynorsk or Bokmål.
Please correct my mistakes!

Strigo

Hallo

Postby Strigo » 2003-10-25, 18:04

Thanks Car. That was indeed a very interesting text.

How can I join to the Norskklasen lessons?

I added myself to the group, but I haven't received anything yet.

Do you have any other resources?

Well, I have to go.

Bye!

Carlos.

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-10-25, 18:12

Norskklassen list doesn't send norword lessons. There is a special list for sending norword lessons at http://frodo.bruderhof.com/norword . you can do the exercises and post them to the norskklassen list.

johnson

Postby johnson » 2003-10-26, 18:25

Hei Carlos,
Hygelig aa treffe deg (nice to meet you).
You can join the norskklassen yahoo group. It's free and has a world of lessons and alot of experts to help you like Louis Janus. I believe Bokmaal is the prefered dialect for foreigners to learn first, then they can pick up which ever other dialect you choose. I would put what i wrote in norwegian, but i'm not that good yet. Anyway, let's make this board rock!

hilsen
Johnson
Uf Da-this is hard.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2003-10-26, 20:19

How do you pronounce 'hei'? Heehee... I don't know anything about Norwegian. :D

Anyway... This board already rocks, newbie. :P
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

johnson

Postby johnson » 2003-10-26, 22:32

I stand corrected! Lets rock on then.

johnson
Uf Da-this is hard.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-10-27, 19:14

Hei venner!

Velkommen til det nye Unilang prosjektet, kalt "klanger av verden". Dette prosjekt bestaar ut et opptak av en lite tekst (det som du hörer naa) med hensikten aa presentere klanger av ethvert spraak til spaakstudenter, fordi vi tror nemlig at det er meget viktig aa ha en god uttale for aa kommunisere i fremmedspraak. Kansje finner du her klanger som ikke representerer denne du har allerede laert. Men tar det rolig. Det er paa grunn av dialekter som finnes i ethvert spraak. Det er altid bedre aa höre en native speaker, ikke sant? Vi haaper at dette prosjekt kan hjelpe deg med aa laere spraak.

Adjö!

Rusle, I tried to translate the "Sounds of the World" text into Norwegian, could you correct it, please? And it would be also great if you could record the text.
Please correct my mistakes!

Strigo

Pronunciation rules help

Postby Strigo » 2003-10-27, 20:31

Hi,

Can someone help me and write the main Norwegian pronunciation rules??? I'd like to know them.

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”