the verb "to need to"

Moderator:Johanna

tastyoatmeal
the verb "to need to"

Postby tastyoatmeal » 2014-07-05, 3:07

Hallo! I am new here as new in learning Norwegian. I put off a couple other languages to focus on Norwegian.

One thing I am having trouble with is finding the verb for something that you have to do. I have come across two verbs and I am not sire which one to use. Må and trenge.

In Spanish we have "deber" for something that you should do. Is either of these the equivalent?

salieri

Re: the verb "to need to"

Postby salieri » 2014-07-05, 20:00

Du må gjøre det - you must do it/you have to do it.
Du trenger å gjøre det - you need to do it.
Du burde gjøre det - you should do it.

Now I'm not a native norwegian speaker, but I think this is pretty much correct.

pellebee

Postby pellebee » 2014-07-08, 23:18

I would always translate burde to 'ought to' in English. As proper as it seems, it just feels right.

salieri

Postby salieri » 2014-07-09, 18:46

Here is a little qoute from http://www.onestopenglish.com that might be helpful:

2) Should and ought to

‘Should’ and ‘ought to’ are basically the same, although ‘should’ is much more widely used than ‘ought to’. The negative and interrogative forms of ‘ought to’ are becoming increasingly rare. Both ‘should’ and ‘ought to’ are used to talk about obligation and duty and to give advice. One way of getting the meaning of ‘should’ across to learners is to contrast its meaning with that of ‘must’ and ‘have to’ as the degree of obligation is considerably less, e.g. ‘I have to go to the doctor’ as compared to ‘I should go to the doctor

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”