Hei, I'm new. :3

Moderator:Johanna

MintPuppy
Hei, I'm new. :3

Postby MintPuppy » 2014-02-17, 7:51

Hi everyone. :3

Jeg heter Sam! :3 Call me either Sam or Mint, as you will, I've no objection.
I find myself wanting to learn Norwegian, as I have two friends who live close by Oslo, and I want to visit at some point - perhaps even go there to live, circumstances permitting. I currently live in Australia, in Melbourne.
I've had a bit of a look around, and I think I know the basics somewhat, but there's been a lot of conflicting information. Sadly my friends are of no help. :P They aren't particularly good teachers.

So, I thought I'd come and poke my nose in here, see what I can learn. :3 It's a pleasure to meet you all.

Raufoss

Re: Hei, I'm new. :3

Postby Raufoss » 2014-03-24, 21:29

MintPuppy wrote:Hi everyone. :3
En forsinket velkommen til det norske språk forumet MintPuppy! :welcome:
MintPuppy wrote:So, I thought I'd come and poke my nose in here, see what I can learn. :3 It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Dessverre er dette forumet har vært veldig stille de siste månedene. :(

Unfortunately, this forum has been very quiet in recent months.

Forhåpentligvis noen av de norske medlemmene som brukes til å lage vanlige innlegg vil få mulighet til å skrive her igjen snart, og kanskje vi vil være heldig nok til å få noen nye norske medlemmer også. :y:

Hopefully some of the Norwegian members who used to make regular posts will have the opportunity to write here again soon and perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get some new Norwegian members too.
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-02, 21:58

Welcome to the forum, Sam! While I am Norwegian, I'm not a teacher either, but I hope I'm able to help out and explain things so they make sense anyway. Feel free to ask me if you need help, and I will try my best. :)

Raufoss wrote:
MintPuppy wrote:Hi everyone. :3
En forsinket velkommen til det norske språk forumet MintPuppy! :welcome:
MintPuppy wrote:So, I thought I'd come and poke my nose in here, see what I can learn. :3 It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Dessverre har dette forumet vært veldig stille de siste månedene. :(

Unfortunately, this forum has been very quiet in recent months.

Forhåpentligvis vil noen av de norske medlemmene som pleide å poste innlegg til vanlig få muligheten til å skrive her igjen snart, og kanskje vi vil være heldige nok til å få noen nye norske medlemmer også. :y:

Hopefully some of the Norwegian members who used to make regular posts will have the opportunity to write here again soon and perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get some new Norwegian members too.

:wink:

"Used to (do something)" is usually written as "pleide (å gjøre noe)" (or "brukte (å gjære noe)") in Norwegian. Also, when writing "the opportuntiy" in Norwegian, you would say "muligheten". This is why:

(I'm sure you know most of this already, Raufoss, but I will type it out anyway, in case other members see this and find it helpful.)
In Norwegian, the indefinite and definite articles need to correlate with the grammatical gender of the words (usually noun) that follow. Indefinite : Ei or en is used before feminine words, en is used before masculine words, and finally et is used for neuter words. Definite: Where you use the definite article "the" in English, we add the suffixes -en(e), -et(e) or -a at the end of the word in Norwegian. (-en,-et, or -en/-a at masculine, neuter or feminine singular form words respectively ; -ene/-a,-ete and -ene at feminine, neuter or masculine plural form words respectively. Ex.: bilen (the car), huset (the house), barna (the children).) We also use den and det* as prefixed definite articles. Generally, if den or det comes before a noun, there has to be an adjective between, like so: "Den store mannen" = "The big man", "Det rødet eplet" = "The red apple". We also have to add -en, -et, -a/-en at the end. In some cases, adding -en, -et/, -a/-en is optional.)

*Den/det is also used similarly to "that" when you are talking about something or someone specific (that you can point to): "That man (over there)." = "Den mannen (der borte).", "That tree (over there)" = "Det treet (der borte)", "That lady (over there)" = "Den damen/dama (der borte)". As you can see, in addition to den/det, you need to add -en, -et or -en/-a to the noun.

I'm very sorry if I'm being confusing. I'm not a teacher, and probably wouldn't be a very good one either. I also didn't mean to derail the thread. :oops:

EinarJ

Postby EinarJ » 2014-05-15, 18:38

What is said above does apply when translating literaly, however:

"Å få mulighet til" is itself correct in Norwegian. (But it would literally translate back as "To get opportunity to")

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”