English-norsk hybrid words

Moderator:Johanna

Raufoss
English-norsk hybrid words

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-22, 19:08

In yesterday's Dagbladet there was an article that had a subheadline which used the hyphenated word "short-listet" which combines the English word "short" + the Norwegian word "listet" to mean "shortlisted."

Er «short-listet» til Beste ikke-engelskspråklige film.

What are some other examples of English and Norwegian words combined together to form a compound word like this?
Last edited by Raufoss on 2012-12-24, 7:09, edited 2 times in total.
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Raufoss

Re: English-norsk hybrid words

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-24, 7:04

After doing a little research I learned that a compound word that has one part derived from one language and another part derived from a different language is in English called a "hybrid word" so I just changed the title of this thread to "English-norsk hybrid words."

So far the only example of an English-norsk hybrid word that I have been able to find is 'hedgefond'. This word combines the English word 'hedge' and the Norwegian word 'fond' , which means 'fund.' In Norwegian 'hedgefond' is used to mean 'hedgefund'.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-26, 8:50

Is "webside" still often used as a Norwegian translation for web page?

Antonym

Postby Antonym » 2012-12-26, 16:06

Jeg er ikke helt sikker. Jeg ville ha sagt "hjemmeside", tror jeg, men jeg ville ikke har reagert på det om jeg leste "webside" et sted.

I'm not entirely sure. I would say "hjemmeside", I think, but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I read "webside" anywhere.

Det skjer ganske ofte at jeg bruker engelske ord med norske bøyninger, som for eksempel "å google", "å poke", "å spamme", men jeg kommer ikke på noen kombinasjoner av norske og engelske ord akkurat nå.

It happens pretty often that I use English words with Norwegian conjugations, such as "å google", "å poke", "å spamme", but I can't think of any combinations of Norwegian and English words right now.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-27, 20:39

Antonym wrote:Jeg er ikke helt sikker. Jeg ville ha sagt "hjemmeside", tror jeg, men jeg ville ikke har reagert på det om jeg leste "webside" et sted.

I'm not entirely sure. I would say "hjemmeside", I think, but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I read "webside" anywhere.
Wouldn't "hjemmeside" be a calque for "home page"?

Calque

A calque (pron.: /ˈkælk/) or loan translation is a word or phrase borrowed from another language by literal, word-for-word (Latin: "verbum pro verbo") or root-for-root translation.

Antonym wrote:Det skjer ganske ofte at jeg bruker engelske ord med norske bøyninger, som for eksempel "å google", "å poke", "å spamme", men jeg kommer ikke på noen kombinasjoner av norske og engelske ord akkurat nå.

It happens pretty often that I use English words with Norwegian conjugations, such as "å google", "å poke", "å spamme", but I can't think of any combinations of Norwegian and English words right now.
I might be wrong, but since "to google, to poke, and to spam" are English verbs, I would think that "å google", "å poke", and "å spamme" would more likely be classified as "loan words" instead of "hybrid words."

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-30, 18:23

Another English-norsk hybrid word I just came across is "subprimelån" used as a Norwegian translation for a "subprime loan."

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2013-01-09, 21:22

"A Norweng word is a word that is hybrid between a Norwegian and English word," according to the Urban Dictionary.

Norweng

I wouldn't consider the Urban Dictionary to be a very reliable source of information, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever heard the expression "Norweng word" used before?

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-09, 23:38

Never :/
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”