Bokmål eller Nynorsk?

Moderator:Johanna

zadeworks
Re: Bokmål eller Nynorsk?

Postby zadeworks » 2012-05-27, 3:25

Remis wrote:I could probably upload a sample of my own speech, if you guys like? Note that my dialect is a conglomeration of three dialects, though I'd say it's at least 90% (Eastern) Oslo, so...
TeneReef wrote:I hope you find this helpful for Japanese:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeaLEC6KO20
Ooh, thank you! That really does explain a lot! :mrgreen:

That would be very kind of you! These things always help us lots :D If possible, could you please read out and upload the following sentence (taken from Wikipedia)?

Henrik Ibsen har blitt beskrevet som en av de aller største dramatikerne i den europeiske tradisjonen. Richard Hornby beskriver ham som «en dypt poetisk dramatiker – den beste siden Shakespeare». Han har inspirert en rekke kunstnere fra George Bernard Shaw og Oscar Wilde til James Joyce. Mange kritikere regner ham som den største dramatikeren siden Shakespeare.

De fleste av Ibsens skuespill foregår i Norge og Ibsen henter ofte motiver fra fødebyen Skien. Ibsens mest kjente skuespill ble skrevet under hans 27 år lange selvvalgte eksil i Tyskland og Italia.

* Etter å ha stengt dørene for publikum i februar 2005, gjenåpnet Ibsenmuseet i Oslo

(You said we may ask you to read an article from Wikipedia and well, here it is :D I'm sorry, though, if it's longer than expected haha, but trust me, it's going to be very helpful since I tried to include many words which I'm confused about or just don't know how to pronounce). Thank you in advance! :)
[flag]es[/flag][flag]en[/flag][flag]no[/flag][flag]de[/flag]

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-05-27, 8:16

Btw I would love for the both of us to try and pronounce "hender/hender" and "bønner/bønder," Remis. Listening to that clip on the top of this page, I didn't hear much weird with her pronunciation other than the fact that she went very high on the final syllable, but that's not that strange with the word is said by itself and all.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2012-05-27, 9:15

Aleco wrote:"hender/hender"

Hvilken av disse har grav aksent og hvilken har akut? På svensk uttales begge med akut, nemlig.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-05-27, 11:45

I can identify the 2nd tone in the Oslo accent easily: jenta sounds chopped, like jènn tá, as if it were spelled with two words... :lol: Norge sounds like Nòr Gé, and so on...
(So, it's easier for me to understand someone from Bergen than someone from Oslo, the large number of words chopped into monosyllables makes it harder for me to understand, I have to concentrate more...the words sound split into syllables and are floating in the air, and I have to catch them, it feels like I'm solving a puzzle :roll: )

1ånden (the spirit) sounds like someone is asking a question: ånden?
2ånden (the breath) sounds like someone is splitting the word while asking a question: ånn den?

It is this choppiness what makes it easy for me to distinguish between the tones,
the tonal shape sounds almost identical, I hear both as high rising terminal [uptalk].

1Hammer, it sounds like hammer?
2hammer, it sounds like hamm mer? (you can always hear a pause, no matter how tiny it is ;))

This is similar to the Swedish pair here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _Norwegian
[ˈandɛn] "the duck" (tone1)
[ˈanˈdɛn] "the spirit" (tone2), the tone 2 sounds ''split'' too :hmm:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _anden.ogg

How to tell beans from farmers: cues to the perception of pitch accent in whispered Norwegian:

http://septentrio.uit.no/index.php/nord ... wnload/6/5

And apparently, tones change according to morphology:
å elske vs elsker, bilen vs biler (the tones change).
And there's connected speech and sentence intonation too, so all is mixed and made into in-numerous unique combinations. :|
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-05-27, 12:46

zadeworks wrote:That would be very kind of you! These things always help us lots :D If possible, could you please read out and upload the following sentence (taken from Wikipedia)?
Yeap, that's fine! :D
Aleco wrote:Btw I would love for the both of us to try and pronounce "hender/hender" and "bønner/bønder," Remis. Listening to that clip on the top of this page, I didn't hear much weird with her pronunciation other than the fact that she went very high on the final syllable, but that's not that strange with the word is said by itself and all.
Yeah, that would be cool. I'll include them both in this recording. :P
Dingbats wrote:
Aleco wrote:"hender/hender"

Hvilken av disse har grav aksent og hvilken har akut? På svensk uttales begge med akut, nemlig.
happens = hènder, hands = hénder.
TeneReef wrote:I can identify the 2nd tone in the Oslo accent easily: jenta sounds chopped, like jènn tá, as if it were spelled with two words... :lol: Norge sounds like Nòr Gé, and so on...
1ånden (the spirit) sounds like someone is asking a question: ånden?
2ånden (the breath) sounds like someone is splitting the word while asking a question: ånn den?
Hahaha, jesus. All of that is correct, but I never thought of it before. Interesting!
I just checked, and yeah they do. Whoa. I guess Norwegian phonology makes up for the almost lack of verb morphology compared to other languages. :lol:
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2012-05-27, 13:19

Remis wrote:
I just checked, and yeah they do. Whoa. I guess Norwegian phonology makes up for the almost lack of verb morphology compared to other languages. :lol:

Vent litt nå. Ikke er det vel så at elske og elsker har ulike aksenter? Hvilken er da hvilken? Jeg trudde begge hadde grav aksent, som på svensk.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-05-27, 13:51

Dingbats wrote:
Remis wrote:

Vent litt nå. Ikke erdet er vel ikkenn at elske og elsker har ulike aksenter? Hvilken er da hvilken? Jeg trudde begge hadde grav aksent, som på svensk.
Hmmm.
å élskè, jeg èlskér, tror jeg. Kan sikkert inkludere de to i stemmeopptaket mitt, så kan TeneReef analysere dem for deg. ;)
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2012-05-27, 13:56

Remis wrote:Hmmm.
å élskè, jeg èlskér, tror jeg. Kan sikkert inkludere de to i stemmeopptaket mitt, så kan TeneReef analysere dem for deg. ;)

Bra! Jeg skjønner ikke notasjonen din, men hvis jeg kan høre dem uttalt blir det lettere.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-05-27, 15:38

Okay, done. I linked to it here, because... That's what that thread is for, etc. and I kind of wanted to revive it, so yeah. :P

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-12-08, 2:01

This Nynorsk-reporter has a funny pronunciation, almost Mandarin (@16:26)

:para:

http://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/nnfa0 ... 2#t=16m26s

:mrgreen: I have never heard something like that. :P How do you like it?
Last edited by TeneReef on 2012-12-08, 2:09, edited 1 time in total.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-12-08, 2:06

Haha :P Sunnmøring

Uttalen er ganske annleis frå oslouttalen, ja!
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2012-12-10, 15:05

The intonation is nice, easy to understand for a Swede, and most Swedes, like me, also prefer rulle-r to skarre-r.

The only downside is the obvious use of west-Norweigan word forms, but it's less of an obstacle compared to the other two :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-12-12, 19:33

Johanna wrote:The intonation is nice, easy to understand for a Swede, and most Swedes, like me, also prefer rulle-r to skarre-r.

The only downside is the obvious use of west-Norweigan word forms, but it's less of an obstacle compared to the other two :)

How do you like Fana-bergensk? :wink:
http://bstv.no/?s=teppet+med+nina
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”