TRANSLATIONS // Oversettelser // Omsetjingar

Moderator:Johanna

EinarJ
Re: TRANSLATIONS // Oversettelser // Omsetjingar

Postby EinarJ » 2014-02-03, 0:06

It's just as translatable as most of the lyrics of "The Scatman".

Tiddelibom comes from a song called "Det snør", which starts something like this:
Det snør det snør, tiddelibom,
det er det det gjør, tiddelibom
nå snør det mye mer enn før,
tiddelibom, og huttemegtu.

As far as I know, "tiddelibom" is meaningless, "huttemegtu" on the other hand is an expression you utter when it's cold. (It _might_ perhaps be an older term used a bit more widely about weather or other things people weren't too fond of, but I can't say for sure)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-03-18, 14:32

EinarJ wrote:As far as I know, "tiddelibom" is meaningless, "huttemegtu" on the other hand is an expression you utter when it's cold. (It _might_ perhaps be an older term used a bit more widely about weather or other things people weren't too fond of, but I can't say for sure)
Tusen takk EinarJ! :y:

Dette forklarer hvorfor jeg ikke kunne finne "tiddelibom" i en ordbok.

Jeg vil gjerne oversette følgende setning:

Student housing density will increase at Kringsjå, at the end of the Sognsvann metro line in Oslo.

Her er mitt mitt forsøk:

Studentboliger tetthet vil øke på Kringsjå, på slutten av Sognsvann t-banelinje i Oslo.
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-03-24, 22:15

Is the expression "fri som en fugl," which is used by Danes to mean "free as a bird," also used by Norwegians too?

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-01, 19:35

Yes. Although, in most cases it's phrased as "fri som fuglen", but "fri som en fugl" is correct and understandable, too.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-01, 19:41

Velkommen til det norske språk forumet abyssopelagic! :welcome:

abyssopelagic wrote:Yes. Although, in most cases it's phrased as "fri som fuglen", but "fri som en fugl" is correct and understandable, too.
Tusen takk for det! :y:

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-01, 20:19

Raufoss wrote:Velkommen til det norske språk forumet abyssopelagic! :welcome:

Tusen takk!

I just noticed your post from March 18. It's a bit old, but I will give you my two cents:
Raufoss wrote:Jeg vil gjerne oversette følgende setning:

Student housing density will increase at Kringsjå, at the end of the Sognsvann metro line in Oslo.

Her er mitt mitt forsøk:

Studentboliger tetthet vil øke på Kringsjå, på slutten av Sognsvann t-banelinje i Oslo.

Almost perfect: "Studentboligtettheten* på Kringsjå vil øke, ved slutten av Sognsvannsbanen** i Oslo." This is not grammatically incorrect, but it sounds unnatural. To make it sound even more natural, I would have translated it like this: "(Student)boligtettheten ved/i nærheten av/rundt Sognsvannbanen på Kringsjå i Oslo vil øke".

*Depending on who you are talking to, you can also just say "boligtettheten" (if you are talking to a native or someone who lives in Oslo). The student houses at Kringsjå are located right next to the metro line, which most people know, so you wouldn't have to say "studentboligtetthet" to make it clear that you are talking about the student housings. "Studentboligtettheten" is not an incorrect word, but in most cases we would usually just specify that we are talking about a student city to make it clear that it is student housing density, and not general housing density, that will increase.

**The Sognsvann metro line is called Sognsvannsbanen in Norway/Norwegian.

(Sorry about the asterisks/notes, I hope they are not too confusing.)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-01, 23:14

abyssopelagic wrote:
Raufoss wrote:Velkommen til det norske språk forumet abyssopelagic! :welcome:

Tusen takk!
Jeg er veldig glad for å ha en annen ny medlem som er flytende i norsk. :woohoo:

abyssopelagic wrote:I just noticed your post from March 18. It's a bit old, but I will give you my two cents:
Tusen takk! :)
abyssopelagic wrote:Almost perfect: "Studentboligtettheten* på Kringsjå vil øke, ved slutten av Sognsvannsbanen** i Oslo." This is not grammatically incorrect, but it sounds unnatural. To make it sound even more natural, I would have translated it like this: "(Student)boligtettheten ved Sognsvannbanen på Kringsjå vil øke".
Takk for et godt forslag! :y:

abyssopelagic wrote:*Depending on who you are talking to, you can also just say "boligtettheten" (if you are talking to a native or someone who lives in Oslo). The student houses at Kringsjå are located right next to the metro line, which most people know, so you wouldn't have to say "studentboligtetthet" to make it clear that you are talking about the student housings. "Studentboligtettheten" is not an incorrect word, but in most cases we would usually just specify that we are talking about a student city to make it clear that it is student housing density, and not general housing density, that will increase.

**The Sognsvann metro line is called Sognsvannsbanen in Norway/Norwegian.

(Sorry about the asterisks/notes, I hope they are not too confusing.)
All of this information is very helpful. :y:

Tusen takk igjen! :)

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-02, 10:31

Raufoss wrote:Jeg er veldig glad for å ha en annen ny medlem som er flytende i norsk. :woohoo:

He he. Jeg liker entusiasmen din!

All of this information is very helpful. :y:

Tusen takk igjen! :)

Bare hyggelig!

My middle school English teacher taught us a great rule of thumb when it comes to compound words: I'm sure you know that English compounds, as a main rule, are written in their separate parts, but in Norwegian it's the exact opposite. So English separate compound words would typically be written as one word in Norwegian. Ex.: train station – togstasjon, housing density – boligtetthet, middle school - ungdomsskole, grocery store – dagligvarebutikk, book cover – bokomslag, school bus – skolebuss, private school – privatskole, etc.

This is of course not always the case, but it's the main rule and it's handy to have in mind when you are translating (compound) words into Norwegian. :wink:

EDIT: Speaking of translations: John Green's book The Fault In Our Stars has gotten a Norwegian translation:
(The title reads "Faen ta skjebnen", "Fuck destiny". John Green is trying to be all poetic, and we go ahead and do this. Legendary.)
:haha:

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-02, 20:42

abyssopelagic wrote:He he. Jeg liker entusiasmen din!
Tusen takk! :burning:

abyssopelagic wrote:My middle school English teacher taught us a great rule of thumb when it comes to compound words: I'm sure you know that English compounds, as a main rule, are written in their separate parts, but in Norwegian it's the exact opposite. So English separate compound words would typically be written as one word in Norwegian. Ex.: train station – togstasjon, housing density – boligtetthet, middle school - ungdomsskole, grocery store – dagligvarebutikk, book cover – bokomslag, school bus – skolebuss, private school – privatskole, etc.

This is of course not always the case, but it's the main rule and it's handy to have in mind when you are translating (compound) words into Norwegian. :wink:
Takk for det! :y:

This is very helpful information. Knowing when to combine words continues to be one of the biggest challenges I have when I'm attempting to write på norsk. Compound words also makes it difficult for me to read Norwegian especially when I'm not able to recognize which words are being combined together. I still remember the first time I saw the compound word hudpleiesenteret and didn't have a clue what it meant. :?

abyssopelagic wrote:EDIT: Speaking of translations: John Green's book The Fault In Our Stars has gotten a Norwegian translation:
(The title reads "Faen ta skjebnen", "Fuck destiny". John Green is trying to be all poetic, and we go ahead and do this. Legendary.)
:haha:
WOW! :totalshock:

Just out of curiosity, how would you translate The Fault In Our Stars?

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-02, 21:48

Raufoss wrote:This is very helpful information. Knowing when to combine words continues to be one of the biggest challenges I have when I'm attempting to write på norsk. Compound words also makes it difficult for me to read Norwegian especially when I'm not able to recognize which words are being combined together. I still remember the first time I saw the compound word hudpleiesenteret and didn't have a clue what it meant. :?

Yeah, I can totally understand that. It's probably easier to identify compounds and translate them from English to Norwegian, than vice versa.

A small tips: There's a great online dictionary called Bokmålsordboka. When you look up words there, it will show you how to use and conjugate them. It's really helpful. It will also tell you what gender the nouns are, so you know what corresponding articles and suffixes to use! The site is in Norwegian, though, and if you are having troubles using it, I could make a toturial for you: I'm sure other members learning Norwegian could make good use of it, too.

Just out of curiosity, how would you translate The Fault In Our Stars?

Feiliene ved/i stjernene våre, or something like that - but it doesn't really make much sense and it sounds weird, which I assume is why they decided to make the title comletely different in the first place. :P

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-02, 22:03

Your English is excellent, but I thought I'd make a few minor corrections since you have been helping me so much. :)
abyssopelagic wrote:A small tips:
You could also write "Some tips" or "Some small tips" and be grammatically correct.
abyssopelagic wrote:The site is in Norwegian, though, and if you are having troubles using it, I could make a toturial tutorial for you:
Det var snilt av deg. :y:
abyssopelagic wrote:Feiliene ved/i stjernene våre, or something like that - but it doesn't really make much sense and it sounds weird, which I assume is why they decided to make the title completely different in the first place. :P

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-02, 22:38

Thank you for the corrections! Most of my errors are just a result of me typing too fast and hitting the keys in the wrong order (or not hitting them at all). :P

I'm on my phone right now, but I can make the tutorial and post it tomorrow.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-02, 23:37

abyssopelagic wrote:Thank you for the corrections! Most of my errors are just a result of me typing too fast and hitting the keys in the wrong order (or not hitting them at all). :P
Yes, your English is so good that I thought they probably were just typos ("skrivelief" ikke sant), but I try to correct any mistakes I come across whenever I can so that others who also read the posts in this forum will benefit as well.
abyssopelagic wrote:I'm on my phone right now, but I can make the tutorial and post it tomorrow.
That's very kind of you. :y:

Several years ago I attempted to use this ordbok, but unfortunately it was just too difficult for me to understand. :blush:

I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread so that all of the valuable information you will be providing doesn't get lost inside of this massive translation thread. This would also give you the opportunity to write the tutorial in several shorter posts instead of trying to do it all in one huge post. :)

Would the following be a correct way to write the title "Tutorial for Using the Bokmålsordboka" på norsk?

Læreprogram for Bruke Bokmålsordboka

I just opened the new thread now, but can always go back and edit the title later. :)

På forhånd takk!
Last edited by Raufoss on 2014-04-08, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-03, 15:04

I would write it like this: "Tutorial/Veiledning: How to use Bokmålsordboka/Slik bruker du Bokmålsordboka". Or we could go even simpler and just call it "User Guide/Brukerveiledning: Bokmålsordboka".

Bokmålsordboka seems to have technical problems at the moment, so I can't load or search the site properly, but I will work on what I can and post it in the thread as soon as possible.

Maybe we could make a table of contents in the first post? I can break the tutorial into different posts, so members can click on the links/posts they need.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-03, 17:57

abyssopelagic wrote:I would write it like this: "Tutorial/Veiledning: How to use Bokmålsordboka/Slik bruker du Bokmålsordboka". Or we could go even simpler and just call it "User Guide/Brukerveiledning: Bokmålsordboka".
I like both, but because there is a space limitation for the length of the title, I needed to select "User Guide/Brukerveiledning: Bokmålsordboka" as the title for our new thread.
abyssopelagic wrote:Bokmålsordboka seems to have technical problems at the moment, so I can't load or search the site properly, but I will work on what I can and post it in the thread as soon as possible.
The site is having technical problems for me too. :(

With all of the increased activity that we are helping to generate, I wonder if we caused the site to crash? :hmm: :mrgreen:

abyssopelagic wrote:Maybe we could make a table of contents in the first post? I can break the tutorial into different posts, so members can click on the links/posts they need.
Det var en god idé! :y:

Ífaradà

Postby Ífaradà » 2014-04-03, 18:19

What a lot of people don't know is that Norwegian is a tonal language, which is the main reason compound words are written together and not separately like in English. The pitch changes when compound words are formed. As a result, compound words are pronounced differently. This pitch change is also present in normal words that without it would've been pronounced the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkzWokTd_Q

I saw one post where you had written "vær oppdateringen". What you're actually saying here is: "be the update". A rule of thumb is that "væroppdateringen" is ONE thing, therefore, it should be written as a single word.

But it's kind of difficult, even a lot of native Norwegian speakers don't get it right.
-Native: Yoruba & Norwegian
-Intermediate: English

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-03, 19:04

Ífaradà wrote:What a lot of people don't know is that Norwegian is a tonal language, which is the main reason compound words are written together and not separately like in English. The pitch changes when compound words are formed. As a result, compound words are pronounced differently. This pitch change is also present in normal words that without it would've been pronounced the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fkzWokTd_Q

I saw one post where you had written "vær oppdateringen". What you're actually saying here is: "be the update". A rule of thumb is that "væroppdateringen" is ONE thing, therefore, it should be written as a single word.

But it's kind of difficult, even a lot of native Norwegian speakers don't get it right.
Tusen takk for det Ífaradà! :y:

abyssopelagic

Postby abyssopelagic » 2014-04-03, 19:07

Exactly right, Ífaradà. Well explained. (I haven't thought about it like that before. I suppose as native speakers, many don't really think consciously about a lot of these things.) Image

About the dictionary user guide: I don't think I will be able to finsh the next two (planned) posts before midnight, so I will have to post them tomorrow instead.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-08, 18:24

Ífaradà wrote:I saw one post where you had written "vær oppdateringen". What you're actually saying here is: "be the update". A rule of thumb is that "væroppdateringen" is ONE thing, therefore, it should be written as a single word.
I just did forum searches on "vær oppdateringen" as well as "været oppdatering" and went back and corrected both to "væroppdateringen." :)

Tusen takk igjen! :y:

Ífaradà wrote:But it's kind of difficult, even a lot of native Norwegian speakers don't get it right.
I guess that's some consolation. ;)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2014-04-13, 22:05

abyssopelagic wrote:About the dictionary user guide: I don't think I will be able to finish the next two (planned) posts before midnight, so I will have to post them tomorrow instead.
"Tusen takk" for doing such a fantastic job with the "dictionary user guide" abyssopelagic! :y:

Would the following be an acceptable translation for the headline Storms sabotage Easter holidays?

Uvær sabotere påskeferien

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”