Difference between aby and żeby

ufuk
Difference between aby and żeby

Postby ufuk » 2013-12-21, 18:06

Hi fellow unilang community,

I think I kind of started learning Polish and there is this thing I can't seem to find an answer. Dictionaries say both aby and żeby mean "in order to", the texts I encounter verify this but I still think there must be a difference, because a and że have very different meanings. Right?

unikko

Re: Difference between aby and żeby

Postby unikko » 2013-12-21, 19:35

It's a stylistic difference. In casual talking overusing of "aby" sounds pretentious. Also, there are two synonyms which means the same but are used almost only in literature: "by" and "ażeby".
[flag=]en[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag][flag=]mhr[/flag][flag=]smi[/flag][flag=]udm[/flag][flag=]ain[/flag][flag=]en_old[/flag]

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2013-12-21, 20:53

The difference is simply stylistic, indeed.

I wouldn't say by is only used in literature in this meaning: I use it quite often while writing posts, messages etc. (it's handy 'cause it's short). Although in casual speech I strongly prefer żeby.

Aby (but none of the other 'in order to' words!) can also be used as a sort of adverb or clause-modifying particle: it indicates suspicion. Czy on aby nie widział naszego towaru?
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

ufuk

Postby ufuk » 2013-12-21, 23:45

Thank you all for the answers;

So, in colloquial speech, the one I will use is żeby.

Return to “Polish (Polski)”