Best resources - both in print and online?

Kenny
Best resources - both in print and online?

Postby Kenny » 2013-11-08, 1:25

Hey guys.

I hope it's okay I've made a new thread for this, looks like this subforum doesn't have a pinned discussion thread. I was wondering if maybe you could tell me what you think the best resources for someone considering starting Polish would be?

Thanks a lot. :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Best resources - both in print and online?

Postby Luís » 2013-11-08, 9:21

Assimil's Le polonais sans peine isn't bad (there's a new version now called simply Le Polonais - I'm not sure how different it is from the one I have). Colloquial Polish is good too. The best grammar around is definitely Routledge's Polish An Essential Grammar, by Dana Bielec.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-08, 12:48

If you really want to get to the heart of pronunciation and grammar, I recommend Beginning Polish by Schenker. It is a bit dated, but it has one of the most extensive pronunciation sections I've ever seen in a Polish textbook, and the grammar is pretty comprehensive as far as beginning textbooks get.

I've also have First Year Polish by Swan, and Spoken World: Polish by Living Language and would recommend them both. Spoken World: Polish being on of the more up-to-date texts I have. Personally I didn't care for Colloquial Polish, I thought their style of vocabulary and grammar presentation was haphazard.

I'd also say that one of the best grammars for Polish is A Grammar of Contemporary Polish by Swan. It's even available online for free, so judge for yourself with this one:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/grammar.pdf
Though, I do like other grammars and grammar workbooks I've bought from Routledge, so I'm by no means knocking them.

EDIT: Here's the site the grammar came from, it also contains an up-to-date (free!) version of First-Year Polish, and other goodies:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2013-11-08, 13:12

księżycowy wrote:EDIT: Here's the site the grammar came from, it also contains an up-to-date (free!) version of First-Year Polish, and other goodies:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

Damn, now I'm wanderlusting for Polish again... :(
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-08, 14:03

Glad to be of service! :P

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2013-11-08, 16:01

I also recommend the website of Grzegorz Jagodziński with a course (here) and a grammar (here). :)

Return to “Polish (Polski)”