Basque related to a Central Asian Language?

oico2388
Basque related to a Central Asian Language?

Postby oico2388 » 2016-02-08, 2:50

Is Basque related to a Central Asian Language? PLEASE REPLY! :silly:

Sincerely,

oico2388 from USA

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Basque related to a Central Asian Language?

Postby TheStrayCat » 2016-02-08, 3:34

No, it is a language isolate. There is a hypothesis that it might be related to Georgian (which isn't Central Asian anyway), but it's far-fetched and very questionable.

oico2388

Postby oico2388 » 2016-02-08, 12:52

Thanks StrayCat :silly:

arabarra
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby arabarra » 2016-02-26, 8:09

I wonder what's the last status of the question "where does Basque come from". To the extent of my knowledge, they found new genetic evidence on the parentage of Basques and old Iberic Tribes, but I'm not aware on any further progress in Linguistics on this regards... anybody knows something?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2016-03-16, 13:06

arabarra wrote:I wonder what's the last status of the question "where does Basque come from". To the extent of my knowledge, they found new genetic evidence on the parentage of Basques and old Iberic Tribes, but I'm not aware on any further progress in Linguistics on this regards... anybody knows something?

Asking "where does Basque come from?" is like asking "where does Indo-European come from?". As far as we know, the ancestor of Basque was in Southwestern Europe before the different branches of Indo-European arrived. Anything beyond that is just going to be conjecture, because the further you go back the less actual evidence for anything there is. I mean, when you go into prehistory you don't have any written texts to go on so you have to make suppositions based on what we know about prehistoric population movements, which isn't all that much anyway. Basque may well be related to some other extant language, but it's doubtful that there's any way to demonstrate it given that any potential relationship is likely so old that it's impossible to reveal through the comparative method.

For that same reason there's not much of a decisive way to settle the argument about whether most spoken languages have a common origin (monogenesis) or not.

raoul2

Postby raoul2 » 2016-04-22, 20:23

From linguistic and genetic evidence, Basque spread from Italy in the neolithic times. It left some words in the sardinian and corsican languages. When I have time, I will write extensively about it.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2016-04-22, 21:07

raoul2 wrote:From linguistic and genetic evidence, Basque spread from Italy in the neolithic times. It left some words in the sardinian and corsican languages. When I have time, I will write extensively about it.

Interesting; I remember one of my friends theorizing its closest common ancestor could've been Tyrsenian (incl. Etruscan); maybe that's why.

Return to “Basque (Euskara)”