Basque culture

Zoroa
Basque culture

Postby Zoroa » 2006-06-19, 10:29

In this thread, I'll try to post stuff on Basque culture, habits, customs, blah blah...

If you have any question, topic you like to be discussed and stuff, don't hesitate !

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !
Nietzsche "Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra"

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-06-19, 20:11

I'm very curious about the future of the Basque language and people. In Basque country, does the youngest generation commonly learn their own language as their native language - or do they simply manage to learn it later? Is there a lot of empasis put upon the Basque language in the education system? Is the Basque language a source of pride for the Basque people or has it been otherwise...? I think these are enough questions :wink: .
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-06-20, 11:07

I am going to be neutral when answering...

In Basque country, does the youngest generation commonly learn their own language as their native language - or do they simply manage to learn it later?

Well, the sociocultural trend in Europe is to go back to smaller entities. I won't make a whole lecture about it, but many people find it comfortable to look for their roots, try to protect themselves in way the superglobal culture cannot reach them. That is a wonderful topic, but let's go back to the main issue. Younger generations in the Basque countries are willing to be fluent in both languages, and reach easily fluency in French and Spanish. For Basque, a real effort is done, started by the previous generation which started to dig up stuff to revive Euskara (songs, literature, bilingual stuff, etc.). The previous generation missed the fact that they were not taught Basque either at home or at school, and felt a real cultural loss. Today's generation is really eager to preserve Euskara, as the number of bilingual speakers (in %) is increasing.

In Basque country, does the youngest generation commonly learn their own language as their native language - or do they simply manage to learn it later?

Yes, the Basque government (as well as, one might not know because everybody's keen on criticizing, the French government) finances ikastolak, which are private school where the courses are run only in Euskara. What is interesting is that even if your parents are not euskaldunak (Basque speaker), you can go to these schools, and their numbers are increasing.
On the French side, Basque has entered curriculum as a language that can be taken at exames like the baccalauréat.

Is the Basque language a source of pride for the Basque people or has it been otherwise...?

That's a really interesting question. I may have sounded really optimistic in my first two answers. But if you go to the Basque country (even in the Spanish side) and compare it to Catalunya, you'll see a huge difference. Catalan speak more Catalan than Basque Euskara. Maybe because Euskara is really different and takes time to be learnt, because it is a really different culture, I don't know.
There has also been a problem of guilt/shame during Franco, when kids were canned if they were caught speaking Euskara at school, when people were not hired if they did not master only Spanish, etc... Basques lost touch of their languages, feeling it was more of a burden for them. Now times have changed, and in the newly open world, where uniformity tends to be the motto, I think people have to dig up the last inches of individuality they can find, and try to connect to communities, smaller networks, etc... The second revival of Euskara is certainly the result of this phenomenon. I may also suspect this tinge of stubbornness Basque always had not to disappear in the process of history :D

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-06-20, 16:36

Eskerrik asko Zoroa!
I feel so enlightened about the situation of Basque now and in the future. :burning:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-06-20, 23:18

You're welcome !

It's always a pleasure to answer, and for this particular topic I wanted to sound as neutral as possible (not to say : all Basque love their languages, blah blah) and not too conservative (all Basque should be speaking euskara blah blah).

Feel free to post other questions !

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

nettchelobek1

Postby nettchelobek1 » 2006-06-21, 5:10

Is it common that a Spaniard learns Basque, e.g. at the school, for work reasons, etc?
"From relativity ... one obtains an unequivocal proof for the view of philosophers who, like Parmenides, Kant, and the modern idealists, deny the objectivity of change as an illusion or appearance due to our special mode of perception" Gödel.

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-06-21, 13:47

I frankly cannot fully answer... Maybe some Spaniards can tell us if they know ppl learning it.
I met many Spaniards learning Basque, either out of curiosity or because they were to move to the Basque country. But how many are they ? What are their exact level ? etc... would be interesting data to gather !

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-07-11, 20:36

If you know enough about it, how does the Basque separatist movement compare with that of Québec?

اگر کافی راجع به این می دانی, چگونه جدایی
Basque Country و Québec
مثل هم باشند و نمی باشند

Andrew

Basque on the Streets

Postby Andrew » 2006-09-08, 23:34

So if I were to go to the Basque regions, in an ordinary marketplace in a populated area, would I hear more Basque or Spanish? This is probably different depending on which area exactly, but I'm wondering what you can tell me about Basque I'd hear out and about. Do Basque people only speak their language with those who they know speak, like neighbors and friends or will they address strangers in Basque, or Spanish/French?

Also, what can you tell me about young people using Basque? By young I mean more or less under 25 years of age, but also the very youngest speakers. In visiting Basques speaking areas, will I hear 4 and 5 year olds playing in Basque, and are 15, 16, and 17 year olds proud and prone to use it among themselves?

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-09-13, 12:34

Sorry about my late answers...

MArcus:

I don't know enough about Quebec separatism to compare, but what I can tell you is that there may be some differences:

1. Under Franco's régime, Basque culture/language/blahblah was discriminated against and the government tried to destroy them.

2. Basque have a mixed feeling about separatism, because it is said that Basque are "practical" (another word for greedy ;) )
Independance is economically not the best solution.
Plus, there are big differences btw North and South, in terms of languages (Basque speakers are much more numerous in the South), the Spanish Basque Country has political tools the North doesn't have, etc...

3. The violence from ETA is of course limited to and supported by a fringe of the population

Andrew:

You'll hear more Spanish, but in the countryside a bit more Basque.
Basque, unlike Català or Galego is very remote, liguistically speaking, from Spanish. So it is understandable to think that Basque won't expect foreigners to speak fluent Basque, etc... and will be much more prone to speak to you in Spanish/French
As funny as it may sound, you'll hear more Basque from extreme parts of the age tree. Old ppl and young ppl speak more Basque than the generation which is 35-55. Due to the "shame" of speaking Basque. But nowadays, the renewal of the language (which is partially state financed in France, eh oui !) is very active.

Zoroa :)
Deviens qui tu es !

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2007-03-04, 20:25

Zoroa wrote:nowadays, the renewal of the language (which is partially state financed in France, eh oui !) is very active.

Zoroa :)

Are you telling me that the French government actually encourages the use of Basque?

Mark

Ivan16

Postby Ivan16 » 2007-03-04, 20:29

Zoroa wrote:I frankly cannot fully answer... Maybe some Spaniards can tell us if they know ppl learning it.
I met many Spaniards learning Basque, either out of curiosity or because they were to move to the Basque country. But how many are they ? What are their exact level ? etc... would be interesting data to gather !

Zoroa ;)

I never met a Spanish person who is learning Basque...
They make a relation between Basque language and ETA.
Ελληνικά (Greek) + (Arabic) العربية + Русский (Russian) + Polski (Polish)

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2007-03-04, 20:54

Than you should go out :D :lol: I know many (and not only Spaniards living in EH). Moreover almost all ppl in Spanish EH learn it.

I do not have the number is mind (of Basque learners) but it is quite impressive.

That's such a childish shortcut. 90% of the Basque population do not support ETA... It's like saying that Spanish is related to Franco :(
Deviens qui tu es !

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2007-03-05, 13:54

Ivan16 wrote:
Zoroa wrote:I frankly cannot fully answer... Maybe some Spaniards can tell us if they know ppl learning it.

Zoroa ;)

I talked with my Spanish friends and one said that Basque language is connotated with the ETA.

Btw, my question hasn't been answered yet.
I thought the French government is one of the most intolerant ones towards minority/regional languages.

Mark

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2007-03-09, 3:50

Are you telling me that the French government actually encourages the use of Basque?

For everything which is not public (there are exceptions), yes.
Deviens qui tu es !

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2007-03-09, 16:04

merci pour la réponse. très informative.

Mark

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2007-03-22, 1:19

Go ahead, I am awaiting your questions !
Deviens qui tu es !

jaled

Gora

Postby jaled » 2007-03-31, 3:00

¡Gora, Euskadi!

Which of the political parties in Euskadi supports the Basque language with a high percentage of the budget? I am talking about gross figures of money destinated to enable Euskera as a REAL official language there in the minimum possible time.

Thanx

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2007-04-01, 17:54

Kaixo Jaled,

Here is an article in French. Tell me if you do not understand it!

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

elxiquet

Postby elxiquet » 2007-04-01, 19:21

I am interested about relation between people of EH in France and in Spain. Is there a fluent comunication between them? (i mean, they/you feel as one single comunity?)

Related to that question, how do spanish-speaking basques and french-speaking basques understand each other (if they don't speak basque, of course).

Thank you!

Return to “Basque (Euskara)”