How do you say this in esperanto?

Silent_Shadow100
How do you say this in esperanto?

Postby Silent_Shadow100 » 2012-03-22, 3:13

How do you say "esperantist" in Esperanto? Basically, what is the Esperanto word for "someone who hopes"?
Native: [flag]us-en[/flag]
Studying with foundation: [flag]es[/flag]
Beginning: [flag]eo[/flag]
With Interest: Malay

Mutusen

Re: How do you say this in esperanto?

Postby Mutusen » 2012-03-22, 22:25

Silent_Shadow100 wrote:How do you say "esperantist" in Esperanto?

Esperantisto.

Silent_Shadow100 wrote:Basically, what is the Esperanto word for "someone who hopes"?

Esperanto.
„Koľko jazykov vieš, toľkokrát si človekom.“

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2013-12-24, 18:35

To avoid ambiguity, I usually use Espo for the language itself.
Well, that was a thing.
speak: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag]
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

Jezebel41

Postby Jezebel41 » 2014-01-04, 15:32

Jes, "espo" forigas la ambiguecon, kaj oni povas ankaŭ simple diri (kvankam pli longe) "la lingvo(n) internacia(n)".
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. I am here to learn.
Primary: Canadian English (en-CA) [flag=Acadian (Nova Scotian French)]fr-ac[/flag] Esperanto (eo) German (de)
Future Study: Latvian (lv) Japanese (ja) Persian (fa) Italian (it) Inuktitut (iu)

Swalf

Postby Swalf » 2014-04-17, 19:36

The actual language name comes directly from "Doktoro Esperanto", "the doctor who hopes", the signature that Zamenhoff leaved on Unua Libro, first book on "Lingvo Internacia".

Ambiguity in real use is very rare, but if you need explicit distinction use Esperanto (Capitalized) for language and esperanto (non-capitalized) for a person who hopes.

La nuna nomo de la lingvo idas rekte el "Doktoro Esperanto", la subskribo lasita de Zamenhoff sur la Unua Libro.

Dubsenco dum reala uzo tre maloftas, sed se oni bezonas precizaĵon, oni uzu tion, Esperanto (Majuskle) por la lingvo aŭ tion, esperanto (Malmajuskle) por ulo kiu esperas.
(it)★★★★ (eo)★★★ (en)★★★ (lmo)★★
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
(Nelson Mandela)

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-17, 20:31

Well, yes, but if you use "Espo", then it's kinda neat how it ties in to "espero", because then "espero" means "piece/core thing/unit of Esperanto", ie. the whole principal of "hope".
Well, that was a thing.
learning: [flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ru[/flag][flag=]pt[/flag][flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ro[/flag][flag=]art-jbo[/flag]
hiatus: [flag=]fi[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]la[/flag][flag=]wa[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]zh.Hans[/flag][flag=]is[/flag]
want to learn: [flag=]fo[/flag][flag=]be[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]sw[/flag][flag=]hi[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]cy[/flag][flag=]hu[/flag]

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-17, 20:39

Every time I see "Espo", I think someone's misspelled the name of Finland's second city.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

JuxtapositionQMan

Postby JuxtapositionQMan » 2014-04-17, 23:45

linguoboy wrote:Every time I see "Espo", I think someone's misspelled the name of Finland's second (largest?) city.
:lol:
I think it's Esboŭ' in Esperanto, but it's not always the endonym (hence Ĥinio), so i'm not sure. Either way, that's great. :)
Well, that was a thing.

Return to “Esperanto”