Sean of the Dead - Italian

Moderator:OldBoring

Sean of the Dead
Sean of the Dead - Italian

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-21, 18:13

I checked through the entire forum, and was surprised that there was no topic about this. :shock:

Anyways, I would like to ask all you learners and speakers out there: what books can you recommend for learning Italian? Now, I'm not looking for just any book, but one that teaches you a lot of grammar, not just touristy phrases like Teach Yourself or Colloquial for Italian. I will not be a tourist to Italy when I go, but a visitor. :D I'm looking for something that of course teaches you a lot of grammar, has many examples and exercises, and preferably has audio, so I can get a good pronunciation.

I hope there are books for learning Italian out there for real linguists and language learners. :? Since so many people learn Italian just to go be tourists in Italy, and because all of the idiot Yankees think places like Italy, France, Japan, and China are so amazing and magical, that most book publishers don't make books for people that learn languages seriously, and instead go the route of eggheaded tourists so they can make more money. So, here's me hoping somewhere out there there is a good book for learning Italian, even if it is in Italian. :silly: Also, I'd accept anything in German too. :wink:
Last edited by Sean of the Dead on 2010-03-25, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

ILuvEire

Re: Books for learning Italian

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-03-22, 2:48

You're learning Italian? Awesome!
Imparari l'italiano? Fantastico!

If I'm correct, Italian will be the most popular language you've learned. When you get into more popular languages, it's tough, because you have to sift through a loooooot of shit. But don't worry, there's a lot of good stuff around too, you just have to look a little bit. I've never used Teach Yourself, but it's probably not very good. A lot of the more popular resources have the goal of getting tourists ready to go to Italy.
Se ho ragione, l'italiano sarà la più popolare lingua che hai imparato. Quando ti ficchi più populari lingue, é duro, perché hai bisogno di cercare tante stronzate. Ma non ti preoccupa, c'è anche molte cose attorno, hai solo bisogno di guardarti attorno. Non ho mai usato Teach Yourself, ma non è probabilmente davvero buono. Molte populare risorse ha lo scopo di preparsi le turiste per andare nell'Italia. (Gesù, il mio italiano è spaventoso, mi dispiace ><)

Here's some pretty good stuff I've used:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Italian ... 408&sr=8-7
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Italian- ... 498&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/501-Italian-Verbs ... 522&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Stories-D ... 08&sr=8-13
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Hannahanneke

Postby Hannahanneke » 2010-03-22, 10:24

Hi!

I would personally recommend the books from the "Zanichelli" publisher.

http://dizionari.zanichelli.it/index.ph ... atalogo/30
a dictionary that gives an explanation and not a translation for each entry

http://www.zanichelli.it/f_catalog.asp? ... 6TITOLO%3D
la nuova grammatica della lingua italiana
indice: metodi e percorsi della linguistica, la situazione linguistica italiana, la frase semplice, l'articolo, il nome, l'aggettivo, il pronome, il verbo, l'avverbio, la preposizione, la congiunzione e l'interiezione, la sintassi della frase complessa, l'ordine delle parole e dei constituenti, il testo, la formazione delle parole, il lessico, la fonologia, la retorica, poesia e metrica, la parola esatta
I like this book to search and check some things, not to learn it completely by heart.

My basic grammar and vocabulary books are in Dutch, so i suppose you can easily find a good book to learn the basics.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-03-23, 1:24

Ooh, I might have to check that out myself, thank you! Another awesome online resource is Wordreference, I was amazed when I visited the other language's dictionaries on that site, and they weren't absolutely amazing. The Italian one is just great. :]
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-25, 18:49

Well, we decided were going to learn it in the same way as we are Esperanto, that is, using a reader along with practicing writing and reading a lot. :)

So, I was wondering, if anyone knows of any forums with a lot of Italian speakers? I'd prefer it to be a forum about languages, but also even an off-topic forum with lots of posters would be great to be able to practice writing and reading in. :partyhat:

Also, could someone please translate my signature into Italian? It reads (pretty much) "Please correct all of my mistakes."

ILuvEire

Re: Sean of the Dead - Italian

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-03-25, 21:55

"Correggete tutto i miei errori, per favore."

Also, we actually have a thread about other Italian forums: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=29639

Giovanni

Postby Giovanni » 2010-03-25, 23:23

Spy on some university course: there you'll find the best texts.
Memento Audere Semper

Giovanni

Postby Giovanni » 2010-03-25, 23:25

ILuvEire wrote:"Correggete tuttoi i miei errori, per favore."
Memento Audere Semper

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-03-25, 23:40

Thanks. :)

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-04-03, 18:54

Could any native please record themselves reading this text out loud (in Italian of course :P )? I'd really like to have it, to help with my pronunciation of such a beautiful language. ;)

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”