Correct my mistakes

Moderator:aaakknu

isusbellus
Correct my mistakes

Postby isusbellus » 2016-08-31, 19:33

34. How has learning languages impacted your life?

Võin vaadata filmid ja tv- seeriad ilma subtiitrid. Oskan lugeda tekstid nüüd eesti keeles. Ja Tumblr <3

35. Do you have any big travel plans for the future?

Ei veel. Ma tahan reisida Riikasse

36. What’s your least favorite language? Why? Favorite?

Taani keel (vabandage) Tahan õppida Gröönimaa keel aga peaaegu kõik materjal on Taani keeles. Ma ei sa kõik aru ja mind ärritab.

37. Do you know any obscure/useless words in your target language(s)?

Kingapaelad

38. Was there ever a word you pronounced incorrectly until someone corrected you?

Korvatuplat - > Korvatulpat (Soome keel)

39. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you while studying your target language(s)?

Telefoniga räägimine on piinlik. Praktikal intervjuu läks valesti kunagi.

40. Have you ever eavesdropped on people speaking your target language(s) in public?

Jah

41. Have you ever had a negative experience with a native?

Internetis jah. “Vitun hurri”

42. What’s the most positive experience you’ve had with a native?

Kunagi üks mees oli kade minust. (koha?)

43. Tell me about your best friend in your target language(s)

meh

44. Have you ever put sticky notes all over your house before?

Ei

45. Do you ever think in your target language(s)?

Vahetevahel

46. Are there any cognates between your native and target language(s)?

Ei

47. Have you ever met a stranger in public with whom you spoke your target language(s)?

Asun Soomes aga ma ei räägi soome keelt iga päev.

48. Have you ever had an “I understand it now!” moment with your target language(s)?

Jah

49. Do you have any language pet peeves?

Ma on väsinud õhtuti ja en oska mitu keeled (in the evenings)

50. Is there a language that you’ve tried to learn but could never stick with it or just weren’t interested?

Vaata 36.
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Correct my mistakes

Postby Naava » 2016-09-01, 8:02

-> ma olen väsinud
-> ei oska

Kunagi üks mees oli kade minust.

I'm quite sure it should be something else, but I'm not quite sure what. :D Maybe "kade minu peale"? I also found a verb "kadestama", so I think you could also say "ta kadestas mind".

(Maybe you were thinking about "olla kade jostakin" in Finnish; to envy something. With people it should be "olla kade jollekin", to envy someone. I don't know how it works in Estonian, but since you're living in Finland, you might want to know this anyway. :P)

But how is it a positive experience when someone envies you? :hmm:

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-01, 8:12

Aitäh!

Hän oli kateellinen koska osaan enemmän kuin yksi kieli (Englantia)
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-09-01, 9:36

isusbellus wrote:Hän oli kateellinen koska osaan enemmän kuin yksi kieli (Englantia)

--> ...enemmän kuin yhtä kieltä. :)

I wonder how to say that in Estonian - ta oli kade, sest ma oskan rääkida rohkem kui üht keelt?

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-01, 10:16

https://www.facebook.com/groups/flest/

Thats me asking.. I have problem beeing anonymous :D Join the group

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-01, 19:35

Võin vaadata filme ja telesarju ilma subtiitriteta. Oskan lugeda tekste nüüd eesti keeles.
More natural would be "Oskan nüüd eestikeelseid tekste lugeda."
Ei veel. Ma tahan reisida Riiasse/Riiga
More neutral would be "Veel mitte."
Taani keel (vabandage). Tahan õppida gröönimaa keelt, aga peaaegu kõik materjalid (/kogu materjal) on taani keeles. Ma ei saa kõigest aru ja see ärritab.

Telefoniga rääkimine on piinlik. Praktikal intervjuu läks valesti kunagi.
More natural would be "Praktikal läks kunagi intervjuu valesti." or "Kunagi läks praktikal intervjuu valesti."
Kunagi üks mees oli kade minu peale.
More natural would be "Kunagi oli üks mees minu peale kade."
Asun Soomes, aga ma ei räägi soome keelt iga päev.
If you meant that you live in Finland then "Elan Soomes ...";
"Asun Soomes" is more like "I am in Finland" or "I am located in Finland"
Ma olen väsinud õhtuti ja ei oska mitut keelt.
What exactly do you mean by this sentence. Should there be some kind of connection between the two parts of the sentence or are you just naming two different things?
Also, "ei oska mitut keelt" translates mostly to "can't speak more than one language" (mitu - more than one, many), but you have said that you do speak more than one language. :hmm:

Although, it could also mean that "there are many languages that you don't speak". Is that what you meant?
If so, then better would be to use plural "ei oska mitmeid keeli" or even better and less ambiguous "on keeli, mida ma ei oska".

Naava wrote:I wonder how to say that in Estonian - ta oli kade, sest ma oskan rääkida rohkem kui üht keelt?
Yes.
Or "ta oli kade, kuna oskan rohkem kui üht(e) keelt."
Or "ta oli kade, kuna räägin rohkem kui üht(e) keelt."
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-02, 12:04

well.. I think I have to read my grammar book, page by page and not skipping anything

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-09-03, 16:19

ainurakne wrote:Or "ta oli kade, kuna oskan rohkem kui üht(e) keelt."
Or "ta oli kade, kuna räägin rohkem kui üht(e) keelt."

What is this (e) here? When is it used? Is it more common to say ühte than üht? Is it used everywhere in Estonia or is it a dialect feature or something like that?

isusbellus wrote:well.. I think I have to read my grammar book, page by page and not skipping anything

Imo you did well! At least much better than I did after 8 years of studying Swedish... :mrgreen: Not that grammar would be useless to anyone, but you tried and that's important.

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2016-09-03, 18:43

well.. I think I have to read my grammar book, page by page and not skipping anything[/quote]
Imo you did well! At least much better than I did after 8 years of studying Swedish... :mrgreen: Not that grammar would be useless to anyone, but you tried and that's important

Aitäh, Thanks :)

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-04, 16:19

Naava wrote:What is this (e) here? When is it used? Is it more common to say ühte than üht? Is it used everywhere in Estonia or is it a dialect feature or something like that?
According to "ÕS", ühte is used as emphasized partitive, so it must be a Standard-Estonian thing.
The same thing also applies to kaks: kaht and kahte.

I think, I mostly use ühte and kahte, especially when speaking, although it depends on the context. Sometimes üht and kaht sounds better.
On the other hand, short illatives of these words are also ühte and kahte, so I guess using üht and kaht would be better to avoid confusion.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-17, 6:50

This is my first post and I'd greatly appreciate feedback from native or fluent speakers regarding my suggestions!

isusbellus wrote:34. How has learning languages impacted your life?

Võin vaadata filmid ja tv- seeriad ilma subtiitrid. Oskan lugeda tekstid nüüd eesti keeles.

Saan filme ja tv-sarju ilma subtiitriteta. Oskan eestikeelseid tekste lugeda. / Oskan tekste eesti keeles nüüd lugeda.

Sarju (nom. sari) and seeriaid (nom. seeria) are synonyms here (sari and seeria both mean "series"), but I think tv-sarju is more common than tv-seeriaid. Or as was already mentioned, you can also use telesarju.
Use the abessive/ilmaütlev case for subtiitrid, and use the partitive/osastav plural for filme, sarju (or seeriaid) and tekste. They are unknown quantities ("some" or "some of the" films and tv series) since you are not watching ALL of them or talking about specific ones. Partitive plural is one of the more difficult cases (üks raskemaid käändeid)....

isusbellus wrote:
35. Do you have any big travel plans for the future?

Ei veel. Ma tahan reisida Riikasse

Not much to add to the previous suggestions: Veel mitte. Ma tahan Riiasse reisida. Riga is "Riia" in Estonian and it's one of those cities that has both a long illative and short illative form, so you can say Riiasse (long form) or you can say Riiga (short form), but not Riikasse nor Riigasse.

isusbellus wrote:
36. What’s your least favorite language? Why? Favorite?

Taani keel (vabandage) Tahan õppida Gröönimaa keel aga peaaegu kõik materjal on Taani keeles. Ma ei sa kõik aru ja mind ärritab.

Don't capitalize names of languages in Estonian (taani keel, grööni keel). Not much to add to the previous comments, but if taani keel is your least favorite language and irritates you because you don't understand everything, what is your favorite language? This part of the question is missing from your answer and I'm curious. :-)

isusbellus wrote:39. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you while studying your target language(s)?

Telefoniga räägimine on piinlik.

I think it might sound better to say "Mul on piinlik telefoniga rääkida" but since I'm not a native speaker, maybe someone else can give their opinion on that. :-) Slight difference in meaning though: "Talking (rääkimine not räägimine) on the telephone is embarrassing" versus "For me it's embarrassing to talk on the phone."

isusbellus wrote:
49. Do you have any language pet peeves?

Õhtuti olen väsinud = I am tired in the evenings. For the second part, definitely "ei oska" rather than "en oska", but otherwise I'm not sure. A question for ainurakne or other fluent speakers: Can "ma ei oska paljusid keeli" be used similarly to "ma ei oska mitmeid keeli" for "I don't speak many languages?"

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-19, 10:03

Linguaphile wrote:Saan filme ja tv-sarju ilma subtiitriteta.
You forgot the verb "vaatama". :wink:
Saan filme ja tv-sarju ilma subtiitriteta vaadata. or Saan filme ja tv-sarju vaadata ilma subtiitriteta. or Saan vaadata filme ja tv-sarju ilma subtiitriteta.

Linguaphile wrote:Sarju (nom. sari) and seeriaid (nom. seeria) are synonyms here (sari and seeria both mean "series"), ...
Not quite. For some reason in the context of movies, more often than not, "seeria" refers to one episode/part of a series (number 2. in EKSS).
But of course it always means series when talking about a series of something:
filmiseeria, filmide seeria; also seeriafilm (=sari)

Linguaphile wrote:I think it might sound better to say "Mul on piinlik telefoniga rääkida" but since I'm not a native speaker, maybe someone else can give their opinion on that. :-) Slight difference in meaning though: "Talking (rääkimine not räägimine) on the telephone is embarrassing" versus "For me it's embarrassing to talk on the phone."
Yes, you can of course say it like that, but in may opinion there is no need to specifically emphasize the person since the context is already given in the question. Especially, if you imagine that the sentence "Telefoniga rääkimine on piinlik." could have also included "minu jaoks" somewhere in there, which was removed as being redundant.

Linguaphile wrote:A question for ainurakne or other fluent speakers: Can "ma ei oska paljusid keeli" be used similarly to "ma ei oska mitmeid keeli" for "I don't speak many languages?"
If you mean as "there are many languages that I don't speak", then, yes (or "paljusid keeli ma ei oska").
But if you mean plain "I don't speak many languages.", then "ma ei oska (eriti) palju keeli".

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-20, 23:44

ainurakne wrote:Not quite. For some reason in the context of movies, more often than not, "seeria" refers to one episode/part of a series (number 2. in EKSS).
But of course it always means series when talking about a series of something:
filmiseeria, filmide seeria; also seeriafilm (=sari)

Cool, I hadn't picked up on that. I usually use telesaade so I guess I've avoided the whole seeria/sari distinction until now. My dictionary says "television broadcast" for "telesaade" but in practice it seems to be used much more often than we say "television broadcast," i.e. where we would say "tv show" in English. This word (tv saade or telesaade) is correct to use whether the show is a series or a one-time show, right? So now you've got me wondering... should telesaade be used when talking about a seeria (episode) or sari (series) or both? I've been using it for both (which seems right if it has a more general meaning the way I'm thinking it does), but I'm not sure.
Ette tänades!
Linguaphile

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-21, 13:33

I think telesaade originally meant (and was used as) television broadcast (also saade derives from saatma which means to send in its various meanings). Relevant examples from EKSS: Kell 18.30 läheb saatesse uus telelavastus. Stuudio annab päevas 12 tundi saadet.
But nowadays the usage has indeed shifted towards tv show.

I think there is no problem in calling both a series and a one-time show as telesaade. In case of series, I think you can even use it for both the entire series (with all of its episodes) and one episode (if you think of it as a slice of broadcasting time).

But I personally mostly use telesaade (or usually just saade) for shows that take place in studios or where there are hosts and guests and stuff like that, or just some kind of documentaries. I almost never use saade for movies. A movie is always film in my book, not saade.
And a series that depicts made up events like non-documentary movies do, is either sari or seriaal (although I hardly ever use the second one).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-21, 14:28

ainurakne wrote:I think telesaade originally meant (and was used as) television broadcast (also saade derives from saatma which means to send in its various meanings). Relevant examples from EKSS: Kell 18.30 läheb saatesse uus telelavastus. Stuudio annab päevas 12 tundi saadet.
But nowadays the usage has indeed shifted towards tv show.

I think there is no problem in calling both a series and a one-time show as telesaade. In case of series, I think you can even use it for both the entire series (with all of its episodes) and one episode (if you think of it as a slice of broadcasting time).

But I personally mostly use telesaade (or usually just saade) for shows that take place in studios or where there are hosts and guests and stuff like that, or just some kind of documentaries. I almost never use saade for movies. A movie is always film in my book, not saade.
And a series that depicts made up events like non-documentary movies do, is either sari or seriaal (although I hardly ever use the second one).

Suur aitäh! Now from your EKSS example I'm wondering how you would translate telelavastus. From EKSS teatri- ja filmikunsti vahendeil põhinev lavastus televisioonis. "Made-for-tv film production", "television drama"...? I know that lavastus can be "production, staging," but the meaning of telelavastus seems to be more specific to theater/film than "television production" in English, which can be anything produced on tv.

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-21, 19:02

For me, lavastus associates foremost with theater. It's kind of like a play, although play is usually translated into Estonian as etendus which is an individual enactment of lavastus to the audience.

Telelavastus is the same thing, just made for television. So, it can be anything that isn't a documentary or spontaneously created show. Anything that involves the work of lavastaja (~director/choreographer).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-23, 0:54

Aitäh!

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-09-23, 9:02

Where does this word come from? Do you also have -stus for altering the meaning* and lava for 'stage'? Can it also mean the stage setting or does it only mean 'a play'? Do you have a verb lavastama or something similar?

* Can't find a good word for this in English. :hmm: I have a feeling I've seen it somewhere but I can't remember it now.

Virankannos

Postby Virankannos » 2016-09-23, 9:31

I believe it's lava > lava+stama > lava+st+us. It's partly a false friend with the Finnish lavastaa, which means exclusively 'to stage(-manage)', figuratively also 'to frame' (like in a sentence "He was framed for murder" = Hänet lavastettiin syylliseksi murhaan). The Estonian word has a wider range of meanings, at least according to Eesti keele seletav sõnaraamat: "lavateost etendamiseks ette valmistama, lavale tooma; (filmikunstis:) stsenaariumi filmiteostust looma ning juhtima."

Interesting enough, Eesti etümoloogiasõnaraamat claims the Finnish verb was loaned from Estonian, not the other way round.

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-23, 10:37

Looking at Finnish lavastaa in Wiktionary, its meaning seems pretty similar to its Estonian counterpart. Except for number 2. to create a stage in theatre. This meaning I have never noticed in Estonian. Although, it feels kind of logical when thinking about it.

I think, in Estonian, verbs that end with -s+tama (when the s is not part of the stem), usually mean (or have probably originally meant) to put into/onto or to put into the state of. Compare, for example pildistama (to photograph) - to put into picture; salvestama (to store, to record, to save) - to put into this place or thingy where stuff is stored (don't know how is it in English); etc...

So, it's the same with lavastama - to put onto stage. And here I don't mean to take some physical object and lift it onto the stage, but to take some abstract concept and put it into a form or state that it can be presented on a stage. This has of course broadened, so the stage doesn't have to be a literal stage anymore, thus lavastus could be any staged event/situation (or the preparing of such) that is presentable to some "audience".

EDIT: and of course "Ta lavastati süüdi mõrvas." is used in Estonian too.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”