Shh and Psst

Moderator:aaakknu

littlepond
Shh and Psst

Postby littlepond » 2016-05-15, 6:13

How can one say something like "Shhh..." and "Pssst..." in Estonian (if it is possible)? In English, "Shh" is used when you ask the other person to be silent: for example, "Shhh... don’t speak".

"Shhh" is used in spoken English as well. As for "psst", which is used to catch someone's attention when it is already quiet, I have only seen it in comics, and I am not sure if people do actually use it in spoken English (maybe they do).

In Estonian, are there similar forms for conversational Estonian and for comics? So, in Estonian, would there be something like "{Estonian for Shhh} ... ära/ärge räagi/rääkige !"

Thanks a lot in advance!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

ainurakne

Re: Shh and Psst

Postby ainurakne » 2016-05-16, 10:00

I don't think there would be any misunderstandings when you use either of them when addressing Estonians.

For "Shhh..." in Estonian, you can also say either "Kuss!" (with very palatalized "s"; probably similar to English "Shush!" or "Hush!") or "Tasa!".
They are both already kind of like commands, so there is no need to add additional "ära räägi", "ärge rääkige" or anything similar. Although you can do that if you want.

For "Pssst...", I would probably whisper "Kuule!", which is singular-you imperative of "kuulma" (to hear), but actually used a lot when requesting the attention of others or just starting to speak and giving others enough time to focus on you. When addressing multiple people or a group or being polite (to a stranger), you can also use plural-you imperative "Kuulge!".

But in very formal situations, "Vabandust!" or "Vabandage!" is of course way better and more polite.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2016-05-16, 12:19

Thanks a lot, ainurakne, for your so helpful reply! I like to learn Estonian through creating stories out of what I know (it's more fun and gives me more of a feel for the language), so I encounter such strange questions in my mind (lest you be wondering ...).

By the way, you mentioned "Kulge" when one is to be polite, but you also put stranger in bracket. But shouldn't then one use the "-ge" form of verbs when one talks to someone one knows very well but has to be polite (say, an employee talking to a director who is like five positions up above him or her)?

Also, is there any form favoured in comics, for "shh" or "psst", which may not be that used in actual speech?
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-05-16, 14:07

You are welcome!

In my experience, the plural-you forms are mostly used when addressing people you don't know, for example a total stranger on the street. Although not always. One usually does not say "teie" to a child or a person of a lot younger age. I think young people at about the same age don't do it either. Actually some people don't do it at all - so it all depends on the individuals and the exact situations.
In formal situations and when addressing individuals with higher status (although then it usually goes both ways anyway), then of course, plural-you forms are used, unless it is previously agreed to say "sina" to each other - which is actually quite common in my experience.

But I think, to a boss whom I "teietan" (address with "teie"), I would never say "Kuulge!".

(PS: it's "Kuulge!", not "Kulge!"; "kulge" is singular-you imperative of "kulgema" ~ to move forth, to reach, to develop)

littlepond wrote:Also, is there any form favoured in comics, for "shh" or "psst", which may not be that used in actual speech?
I have no idea! I don't even remember when did I last saw a comic in Estonian.

But I think, the ones translated from English, do use "shh" and "psst".
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2016-05-16, 16:44

Thanks again so much!

ainurakne wrote:But I think, to a boss whom I "teietan" (address with "teie"), I would never say "Kuulge!".

So, do you mean that you would use "vabandage" or "vabandust" with that kind of a boss?

ainurakne wrote:(PS: it's "Kuulge!", not "Kulge!"; "kulge" is singular-you imperative of "kulgema" ~ to move forth, to reach, to develop)

Oops, my bad! Thanks for pointing this out!

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-05-17, 11:35

You are welcome!

littlepond wrote:So, do you mean that you would use "vabandage" or "vabandust" with that kind of a boss?
Yes, I guess so. Or whatever else is most fitting in the specific situation.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-17, 13:49

littlepond wrote:How can one say something like "Shhh..." and "Pssst..." in Estonian (if it is possible)?"

I'm not sure how common these are, but I've seen:
Kusss = shhh
Tssss = pssst

Other "sound words" from comic books:
Näm näm: munch munch
Nom nom: yum yum
Krõmps: crunch
Viuhhti: whoosh
Võeh: ufff
Aiii: owww
Urrr: roar
Röh: oink
Tsiu tsiu / Tsiuts tsiuts / Tsirr tsirr: chirp chirp

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2016-09-17, 16:54

Thanks so much, Linguaphile!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-17, 19:45

littlepond wrote:Thanks so much, Linguaphile!

Pole tänu väärt!

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-19, 10:09

Linguaphile wrote:Nom nom: yum yum
Is "nom nom" really used in Estonian?
At least I don't remember it from my childhood. If it is really used, then it's probably a very recent loan from English (or whatever internet slang).

Also, I have usually seen "näm näm" as "nämm-nämm". If the final sound is long then it is usually also written as so.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-19, 13:10

ainurakne wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Nom nom: yum yum
Is "nom nom" really used in Estonian?
At least I don't remember it from my childhood. If it is really used, then it's probably a very recent loan from English (or whatever internet slang).

Also, I have usually seen "näm näm" as "nämm-nämm". If the final sound is long then it is usually also written as so.

Good to know. The words I listed are just how they were written in the comic book I had in front of me, called Kuldpuu kroonikad. The author Maarika Martins writes comic books in English too (and I think maybe also Japanese?) so she's probably influenced by that. I'm certain I've seen nämm-nämm used in Estonian, too.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”