"Like" in Estonian

Moderator:aaakknu

ainurakne
Re: "Like" in Estonian

Postby ainurakne » 2016-11-05, 14:48

Now, I wasn't old enough by then to remember such details from that time, so I really can't tell. But I'm sure I had never left Estonian mainland before the reacquisition of independence.

As much (or as little) as I asked around, nobody remembered exactly. Although, the general consensus was that things were probably still approximately the same as before.

From the stories that I have heard, it was indeed somewhat possible to visit foreign countries (although I'm not sure starting from when exactly). There was some concept of tourism trips to "selected countries" in "supervised" groups, which meant that you could get this opportunity through your workplace or some other organization that you were part of and had to apply for some preselected destination. If you were deemed to be "safe" enough to be let out of the country (and to this specific destination), you got the permission.

Secondly, if you had some relative in another country and he/she sent you an invitation, then based on that invitation you had the opportunity to apply for a permission. Of course your "safeness" and whether you had a reason to return, was also taken into consideration when deciding whether to give you the permission or not.
The same applied to when you wanted to travel to Estonian islands, and even getting to mainland coastal areas was difficult or even impossible for non-locals. After all, the Soviet Union couldn't allow people to get to places where it's easier to flee the country. :para:
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-11-05, 21:25

Thank you so much Ainurakne for this answer :D I am grateful you took time to explain the situation to me!
That's true I cannot easily find information about "between the moment the Wall fell" and "when Estonia was free again".
It seems to have been quite a confusing time and I was wondering how population was dealing with this... But you know - this is again my obsessive research about ex-USSR countries and how they lived through liberation 8-)

Aitäh suur anyway :P
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-11-06, 7:00

Võta heaks! :)
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”