Teach Yourself Estonian_Audios

Moderator:aaakknu

nhanvan
Teach Yourself Estonian_Audios

Postby nhanvan » 2014-09-15, 2:13

Hi all,
I am beginner to study Estonian. I love this language but it seems not much materials available in internet for my reference. I am struggling in finding the audios of Teach Yourself Estonian book or even dictionary of Estonian especially English-Estonian with available speaker . I really appreciate if someone could share it. Thank you

hashi

Re: Teach Yourself Estonian_Audios

Postby hashi » 2014-09-15, 4:30

The sharing of copyrighted material is prohibited by Unilang. There are places on the internet to find such resources, but unfortunately I cannot link to them here.

nhanvan

Postby nhanvan » 2014-09-16, 2:42

Thanks for your post reply, this is unfortunate, I have checked in Amazon for purchasing this kind of book. However, they don’t have to deliver to Vietnam. I tried to find some available resources throughout internet but I still haven’t seen it.
It’s hard study foreign language without audio or speaker for reference. Since we don’t know we pronounce it correct or not :(

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2014-09-16, 15:19

nhanvan wrote:... or even dictionary of Estonian especially English-Estonian with available speaker .
I guess Estonian is so small and little known language that even Google hasn't bothered to get an Estonian speech synthesizer for its translator.

But you can find one here: http://heli.eki.ee/koduleht/
There is a text box at the right side of the page, below which there is a choice of synthesizers, and a small clickable logo, which makes the text to be read out loud.

I'm not saying they are great, but some of these options can give a pretty good idea of how some words or phrases are pronounced.

NB: the synthesizers won't differentiate between different lengths of sounds (long/overlong) which are written the same way. For that you must use ÕS for example.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

hashi

Postby hashi » 2014-09-17, 6:46

You could also use forvo to find out how a word is pronounced. I searched for a couple of Estonian words and there were recordings for these. Unfortunately I'm not sure how many words for Estonian are available on that site - but it's worth a try :)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

nhanvan

Postby nhanvan » 2014-09-18, 3:08

Thanks for all you about sharing the resources. I am highly appreciated about it. I have to try and hope that would work for me. :)

h34

Postby h34 » 2014-12-30, 0:57

Hello nhanvan,
I found a very interesting website recently which offers free (downloadable) audio recordings of basic sentences used in everyday situations in many language combinations including Estonian. As I am new here I don't really know whether or not it's permitted to add a direct link to the site...
...:hmm: but you might find it if you google "50 languages"...

hashi

Postby hashi » 2015-01-07, 23:41

h34 wrote:Hello nhanvan,
I found a very interesting website recently which offers free (downloadable) audio recordings of basic sentences used in everyday situations in many language combinations including Estonian. As I am new here I don't really know whether or not it's permitted to add a direct link to the site...

As long as it's not pirated, and from it's original source, then it's fine :)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

h34

Postby h34 » 2015-01-09, 5:43

hashi wrote:
h34 wrote:Hello nhanvan,

As long as it's not pirated, and from it's original source, then it's fine :)

OK :) I'll just go ahead and add the link: http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”