CoolJugator - Estonian Verb Conjugator

Moderator:aaakknu

lyzazel
CoolJugator - Estonian Verb Conjugator

Postby lyzazel » 2011-07-29, 23:37

Hi there.

I'm running a site called Cooljugator which allows you to type in any verb online and have it conjugated in the main different forms and put in a straightforward way. I had a Lithuanian conjugator already, then I released a Latvian one and now I've released an Estonian one:

http://cooljugator.com/ee/

The Estonian one recognizes both da and ma infinitives.

Unlike the Lithuanian one, with over a 1000 verbs and the Latvian one with over 200, the Estonian conjugator only does about 50 verbs at this point.

However, there is a gap and error reporting system so whenever you type in a verb it does not recognize yet, you can submit an inclusion request for that verb and have it included shortly.

There is also a suggestion feature so for example try typing "ta" and see what words come up.

Now from my experience with the other two CoolJugators, I learned to double check the word conjugations before adding them. That's what I did for Estonian and now I think it should be pretty reliable in most cases.

However, apart from that, there is also a mistake reporting system so if you see any, you can just click at the bottom of the page and have the particular word submitted for review. That's how I plan to fix all the glitches and add new words.

Since it's still brand new, I plan to be adding many new words in the near future. The best thing you could do would be to use it and submit missing words so that I know which words to add.

Also, I'd like you to let me know what your thoughts on this are. Any suggestions or critique is always welcome!

Thanks.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

lyzazel

Re: CoolJugator - Estonian Verb Conjugator

Postby lyzazel » 2011-08-02, 11:59

I have worked on adding new words and now the Estonian CoolJugator has over 300 verbs that it can conjugate! Some of the words are frequency-adjusted too so you should be able to find a lot of the useful ones.

And this is not the end! I'll keep adding more words.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2011-08-05, 13:39

Hi!

Some questions: where are presesent perfect (ma olen olnud) and past perfect (ma olin olnud)? Where is conjunctive (ma olevat 'I am said to be')? Then, imperative has also 1. person pl. (olgem!). And all the modes have all tenses (except imperative of course). For instance: me oleksime olnud 'we would have been', nad olevat varastanud 'they are said to have stolen'.

And you have forgotten the impersonal: ollakse 'one is', oldi 'one was', on oldud 'one has been' and oli oldud 'one had been'. And its modes: conditional: oldaks 'one would be' and oldaks oldud 'one would have been'; imperative: oldagu! 'one should be'.

lyzazel

Postby lyzazel » 2011-08-07, 15:10

Hello Loiks,

You're right! I don't have any of those and I guess you are asking a very legitimate question.

My answer to this is that I choose not to include them due to a few reasons, the most important of which being that I want to keep CoolJugator minimal for now.

The purpose of CoolJugator is to provide you with the most common forms. I checked a couple of other conjugators in other languages and they very often have a lot of forms, compound verbs, etc. While this does enable you to form the sentences you want, it takes time, it's not intuitive and you may get overwhelmed with all of the forms.

To avoid overwhelming the user, I include just a couple of the most basic forms which are essential to speech.

My philosophy is even stronger in the case of the compound forms which are essentially olen forms + participle and which are usually pretty regular.

I was thinking of introducing the "past participle" but I hate concepts like "past participle" and I think you are able to form it in most cases from the basic forms anyway.

Do you think I should really introduce something else, though?
Last edited by lyzazel on 2011-08-12, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2011-08-12, 14:02

Fair enough explanation, I didn't know your concept :). Just thought some forms were missing.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”