Palun, aidake mind

Moderator:aaakknu

Lumekuninganna
Palun, aidake mind

Postby Lumekuninganna » 2010-10-06, 2:02

Tere, I've been studying Estonian for a while now. I love to practice by translating songs, but it's hard to find help with the language. So, I have a growing list of words and phrases I don't understand, and I'm hoping someone can help me with some of them here. =) If anyone can at least answer the first couple of things here, I'd be grateful.

What do these words/phrases mean: "mul on kama", "surra-murra", "nii ei või", "sulavaha" ?

With imperatives... is there a strict pattern between a regular negated verb, and a positive compound verb? Like: "ära joo" - is this "don't drink!", or could it also be "drink up!" from ära jooma? Or... would the latter always have ära following the verb?

I've heard some words with the regular 'a' in them, pronounced as though it's "ai." Whenever I hear "kallis", it sounds like "kaillis." Are there any pronounciation rules pertaining to that?

And then, some song verses/lines that I can't understand...

Mis mõttega sul lasen ma oja end puutuda
Vaid bemmiga võid kutsuda oja mind kohtama
Mis mõttega sa üritad oja mind paluda
Vaid tantsima võid kutsuda oja mind rõõmuga

The only thing that is completely messing me up there is the word "oja." Does it have another meaning besides "stream"...?

"Siis kui soovid sa, tikkin koon ja keedan" - oh goodness. What on earth does this really say? I keep reading, "then if you want, I'll stitch a muzzle and boil it."

Sinuga tunnen end
Ja püüan tunda sind
Kui olen su kaisus ma,
Vabakas olen saand

"With you, I feel myself"? and "I'm your cuddle"? And what is "saand"?

Kas oled see keda näitad sa? - And again... I'm confused on this one.

Arvi

Re: Palun, aidake mind

Postby Arvi » 2010-10-07, 13:03

Lumekuninganna wrote:What do these words/phrases mean: "mul on kama"

The meaning is 'I don't care'
The expression originates from another one - 'üks kama kõik' - a possible translation 'who cares'.
('Kama' is a national meal-like product made from various cereals - the list is quite long)

, "surra-murra"

A meaningless blabber in rhyme - I think it originates from some kids song.

"nii ei või"

'you can't do it!' (a colloquial expression)

"sulavaha" ?

Literally 'melted wax'. Figuratively is used to describe someone extremly yelding

With imperatives... is there a strict pattern between a regular negated verb, and a positive compound verb? Like: "ära joo" - is this "don't drink!", or could it also be "drink up!" from ära jooma? Or... would the latter always have ära following the verb?

'ära joo' - don't drink
'joo ära' - drink up
'ära' has here 2 different meanings. Before verb, it is negation (ära mine, ärge minge). After the verb, it expands the verb and indicates a finished action. (And then it has a direct meaning 'away' too).
I've heard some words with the regular 'a' in them, pronounced as though it's "ai." Whenever I hear "kallis", it sounds like "kaillis." Are there any pronounciation rules pertaining to that?

A sloppy pronouncion probably. Or were you confused with palatalized 'l' there?

And then, some song verses/lines that I can't understand...

Who can?! Most of those "lyrics" are written by monkeys in zoo surely :mrgreen:

Mis mõttega sul lasen ma oja end puutuda
Vaid bemmiga võid kutsuda oja mind kohtama
Mis mõttega sa üritad oja mind paluda
Vaid tantsima võid kutsuda oja mind rõõmuga

The only thing that is completely messing me up there is the word "oja." Does it have another meaning besides "stream"...?

Maybe it must be 'oo-jaa' or 'oh-jaa' :hmm:

"Siis kui soovid sa, tikkin koon ja keedan" - oh goodness. What on earth does this really say? I keep reading, "then if you want, I'll stitch a muzzle and boil it."

'tikkima' - embroider, stich
(mina) tikin

'kuduma' - knit, weave
(mina) koon

Sinuga tunnen end
Ja püüan tunda sind
Kui olen su kaisus ma,
Vabakas olen saand

"With you, I feel myself"? and "I'm your cuddle"? And what is "saand"?

'saand' = saanud
(kellegi) kaisus - in (someones) embrance

I too!

Lumekuninganna

Postby Lumekuninganna » 2010-10-08, 18:56

SUUR aitäh! XD I learned some new words from this.

A sloppy pronouncion probably. Or were you confused with palatalized 'l' there?

I thought it was just happening before L, which I guess is just the palatalized L, like you said. But like in the song "sul on kõige kaunim kann" (just ignore how ridiculous that phrase is), they pronounce "kann" as "kain." I can't think of more examples at the moment.

Who can?! Most of those "lyrics" are written by monkeys in zoo surely :mrgreen:

:D

Maybe it must be 'oo-jaa' or 'oh-jaa' :hmm:

"Oh-jaa" - that's just the way it sounds when she sings it!

'tikkima' - embroider, stich
(mina) tikin

'kuduma' - knit, weave
(mina) koon

I laughed soooo hard when I read that. I'm glad it finally makes sense. :D This is why my TEA eesti keele rahvasõnaraamat needs to come FAST.

I too!

:mrgreen:

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2010-10-11, 19:42

"Sul on kõige kaunim kann" - kann, genitive kanni with palatalized n means 'you have the most beautiful ass'. :D Comes from "kannikad" - 'buns'. Kann, genitive kannu 'ewer, pot, cup'.

"ära joo" can theoretically also mean 'drink it up' in poetical language where the word order in the sentence is looser.

nomore

Postby nomore » 2010-10-17, 21:13

Hey!
I occasionally translate some stuff from english to estonian and over the years, I have used mostly this dictionary: http://dukelupus.com/dict
Possible that its just a matter of taste, but it has helped me alot. :)

Kas oled see keda näitad sa?
If you are still interested in that one, it means something like 'Are you like that for real or are you just pretending?'. Probably just another way to say that you're too good to be true. :ohwell:

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2010-10-19, 18:16

nomore wrote:Kas oled see keda näitad sa?
If you are still interested in that one, it means something like 'Are you like that for real or are you just pretending?'. Probably just another way to say that you're too good to be true. :ohwell:

I would translate it: "Are you the one that you show?" It's word by word. So, basically your interpretations are both correct.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”