What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Moderator: OldBoring

Yaojia
Posts: 3
Joined: 2016-02-23, 16:27
Real Name: YaojiaC
Gender: female

What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Yaojia » 2016-02-25, 1:51

Hello, everybody!
I joined in this forum yesterday. I would like to know what kind of Chinese you'd like to learn!

First, I'd like to know when you started to learn Chinese.
Second, how do you learn Chinese?
Third, what do you learn Chinese for, interest, work or something else?
Fourth, do you like Chinese, or maybe you don't like it since you are forced to learn it?
Fifth, what do you think is the most difficult part to learn Chinese?
Sixth, are you happy with your Chinese studies now, such as the way you learn it, your level, your Chinese teacher, etc...

At last, if you had a choice, what kind of Chinese would you like to learn, basic Chinese, everyday speech, business Chinese...and how do you want to learn it?

Thank you for your time, I'm looking forward to your answers^^I hope we could help each other to learn!

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19798
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-25, 2:33

When you asked "what kind of Chinese?" I thought you meant what variety, e.g. Standard Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Jiaoliao, etc.

I chose to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional script. My teacher was from Nantong (南通) by immigrated to Taiwan before coming to the USA.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yaojia
Posts: 3
Joined: 2016-02-23, 16:27
Real Name: YaojiaC
Gender: female

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Yaojia » 2016-02-25, 3:07

linguoboy wrote:When you asked "what kind of Chinese?" I thought you meant what variety, e.g. Standard Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Jiaoliao, etc.

I chose to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional script. My teacher was from Nantong (南通) by immigrated to Taiwan before coming to the USA.


Thank you, I see now, I should have said what kind of “Mandarin Chinese” would you like to learn~~~~(>_<)~~~~
And thanks for your answer, traditional characters are nice, too bad we couldn't use it in daily life here in mainland China.

User avatar
Yasna
Posts: 1651
Joined: 2011-09-12, 1:17
Gender: male
Location: Boston
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Yasna » 2016-02-25, 15:45

I am learning Chinese mostly out of personal interest, but I hope it will be useful professionally at some point too. My goal is to become proficient enough to read newspapers and sophisticated books smoothly, understand all sorts of media, and have in-depth conversations on most topics I would be comfortable speaking about in English. Listening comprehension has proven to be the most difficult aspect, but I continue to improve so I think I'm on the right path.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yaojia
Posts: 3
Joined: 2016-02-23, 16:27
Real Name: YaojiaC
Gender: female

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Yaojia » 2016-02-26, 3:11

Yasna wrote:I am learning Chinese mostly out of personal interest, but I hope it will be useful professionally at some point too. My goal is to become proficient enough to read newspapers and sophisticated books smoothly, understand all sorts of media, and have in-depth conversations on most topics I would be comfortable speaking about in English. Listening comprehension has proven to be the most difficult aspect, but I continue to improve so I think I'm on the right path.


Thank you Yasna, thank you for your answers in details. :) In my opinion, interest is the most important thing when you learn a foreign language, especially when this language has nothing in common with your native language.

User avatar
Núria Harket
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 1469
Joined: 2007-01-31, 15:04
Real Name: Núria Harket
Gender: female
Location: Catalunya, Tarragona
Country: ES Spain (España)
Contact:

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Núria Harket » 2016-10-15, 15:35

How to Learn Chinese While Remaining Sensitive to Regional Languages and Dialects


http://www.digmandarin.com/how-to-learn-chinese-regional-dialects.html

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10299
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Real Name: Μέγας Αλέξανδρος
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-10-15, 23:20

linguoboy wrote:When you asked "what kind of Chinese?" I thought you meant what variety, e.g. Standard Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, Jiaoliao, etc.

I chose to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional script. My teacher was from Nantong (南通) by immigrated to Taiwan before coming to the USA.
Same to all of the above, except I think she was from Taipei.
First, I'd like to know when you started to learn Chinese.
Second, how do you learn Chinese?
Third, what do you learn Chinese for, interest, work or something else?
Fourth, do you like Chinese, or maybe you don't like it since you are forced to learn it?
Fifth, what do you think is the most difficult part to learn Chinese?
Sixth, are you happy with your Chinese studies now, such as the way you learn it, your level, your Chinese teacher, etc...

1) 2010
2) I'm taking a break from it, but I started with a tutor for about a year and I also took a year-long university course in it.
3) Mainly interest and because there is a huge Chinese population in Toronto and Canada in general.
4) Of course I like it. I wouldn't learn it if I didn't.
5) The script. I love it, but it just takes forever and involves a lot of memorization by repetition.
6) No, I wish I'd kept it up, but the need to learn other subjects is more pressing lately. I was happy with my teacher, but she moved out of town and I haven't found a new one. One-on-one tutoring with a native speaker for $5 an dollar was pretty sweet.
At last, if you had a choice, what kind of Chinese would you like to learn, basic Chinese, everyday speech, business Chinese...and how do you want to learn it?
Everyday Chinese, I guess. Enough to read a paper, watch a movie and have simple conversations. I don't want to write a PhD thesis in it.

As for which variety, I guess my favourite is Taiwanese Mandarin. I don't like the Beijing accent. The only other variety I would learn besides Mandarin is Cantonese, but I doubt I ever will.

User avatar
Meera
Global Moderator
Posts: 8699
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Meera » 2017-01-07, 20:21

I would like to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional charecters, but I don't think that is too practical so I think if I was to learn Chinese I'd learn simplified.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love:  (hi)
TAC 2017:  (hi)  (ja)  (ko)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 19798
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby linguoboy » 2017-01-07, 21:23

Meera wrote:I would like to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional charecters, but I don't think that is too practical so I think if I was to learn Chinese I'd learn simplified.

What makes you think it's not practical? That's exactly what I did in preparation for our trip to China.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Meera
Global Moderator
Posts: 8699
Joined: 2008-05-27, 22:01
Real Name: Meera
Gender: female
Location: Philadelphia
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby Meera » 2017-01-08, 0:02

linguoboy wrote:
Meera wrote:I would like to learn Taiwanese Mandarin in traditional charecters, but I don't think that is too practical so I think if I was to learn Chinese I'd learn simplified.

What makes you think it's not practical? That's exactly what I did in preparation for our trip to China.


I was thinking that maybe traditional wouldn't be used much or that course books wouldn't have it?
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love:  (hi)
TAC 2017:  (hi)  (ja)  (ko)

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10299
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Real Name: Μέγας Αλέξανδρος
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-01-10, 5:01

Meera wrote:I was thinking that maybe traditional wouldn't be used much or that course books wouldn't have it?
It isn't used much in the PRC, but there are plenty of books that teach it and knowing it would still help you read simplified since there's a lot of overlap. I learned traditional and found I could read simplified fairly well without having to look a lot of characters up. It's inevitable that you'll pick up some of both, really.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 15508
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-28, 16:23

mōdgethanc wrote:
Meera wrote:I was thinking that maybe traditional wouldn't be used much or that course books wouldn't have it?
It isn't used much in the PRC, but there are plenty of books that teach it and knowing it would still help you read simplified since there's a lot of overlap. I learned traditional and found I could read simplified fairly well without having to look a lot of characters up. It's inevitable that you'll pick up some of both, really.

Yeah. Simplified is just traditional with some of the characters changed, after all. :P In college, everyone in my Chinese classes had to be able to read both but also had to pick which one they wanted to write in. Most chose to write in traditional Chinese. I would expect other North American universities to be similar.

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10299
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Real Name: Μέγας Αλέξανδρος
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-02-25, 23:57

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah. Simplified is just traditional with some of the characters changed, after all. :P In college, everyone in my Chinese classes had to be able to read both but also had to pick which one they wanted to write in. Most chose to write in traditional Chinese. I would expect other North American universities to be similar.
You're lucky. Mine only taught shitplified.

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5347
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby OldBoring » 2017-05-15, 20:50

Why do the laowai want to learn the feudal capitalist traditional characters. Simplified characters belong to the proletariat.

User avatar
mōdgethanc
Posts: 10299
Joined: 2010-03-20, 5:27
Real Name: Μέγας Αλέξανδρος
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: What kind of Chinese would you like to learn?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-05-16, 2:53

OldBoring wrote:Why do the laowai want to learn the feudal capitalist traditional characters. Simplified characters belong to the proletariat.
Because that shit is ugly, and feudal characters are still commonly used here.


Return to “Chinese (中文)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest