Chinese Sentences - sample Dr. House

Moderator:OldBoring

הענט
Chinese Sentences - sample Dr. House

Postby הענט » 2015-04-17, 10:37

Ni hao, guys.

So basically I'm gonna read a couple of sentences in Chinese I learned by listening only and I would appreciate if you gave me some feedback on what to improve. (that is if they're comprehensible at all)

https://soundcloud.com/samuraisolo/chinese1

הענט

Re: Chinese Sentences - sample Dr. House

Postby הענט » 2015-04-17, 14:34

1.今天天气不错
2.我不是有钱人
3. 这个包包好重
4. 这些包包好重
5. 你看, 那是我的朋友
6. Wo han wo gege dou hen hui da wanqiu.
7. Tade mama zai jia. Ta zai xuexiao.
8. Tade xiaohai zai xuexiao.
9. Wo shi jichengche siji.
10. Wo meimei shi hushi.
11.Ta ganmao, ta tang zai chuangshang.
12.Wo bu e, dan wo haoke.
13. Ta nianji hen da le. Ta 98 sui le.
14. Zhe xie yizi bu piaoliang, dan hen shufu.
15. Jintian tianqi wennuan you qinglang.
16. Ni chidao. Meiyou, wo meiyou chidao. Wo zaodao.
17. Ta bu zai jia. Ta zai gongzuo.
18. Zhe shi nide waitao.
19. Ni jiao sheme mingzi?
20. Wo jiao Ailun (Alan).
21. Ni cong nali lai?
22. Wo laizi Niuyue.
23. Ni ji sui?
24. Wo 20 sui.
25. Ni congshi sheme gongzuo.
26. Wo shi laoshi.
27. Ni zui xihuan sheme yanse?
28. Wo zui xihuan de yanse shi lanse.
29. Ni dui sheme you xingqu.
30. Wo dui yinyue you xingqu.
31. Jintian hao re. (Didn't really listen to this sentence...)
Last edited by הענט on 2015-04-26, 9:35, edited 2 times in total.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-04-26, 9:17

I don't really care for a full analysis of these sentences, but could you at least point me in the right direction? (i.e. You mispronounce the j sound. Your tones are off. etc. ) Thanks. I can't go on learning new sentences if these sound like total rubbish.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-04-29, 11:55

Unfrotunately soundcloud doesn't work for me.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-04-30, 18:24

Okay. I'll reupload it somewhere else, when I'm back at home.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-05-01, 10:46

Okay, so here it is.

http://uloz.to/x8Gbysye/chinese1-wav

You can download it here. (Tell me if this site works for you.)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-02, 1:25

Neither. :(

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-05-02, 7:58

Youngfun wrote:Neither. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3BqDMBGqH8

I uploaded it on YouTube, because you've said in the past, that you know a way how to bypass the restrictions and maybe download the video. If this doesn't work, you can give me some tips where to upload it.

gin22135

Postby gin22135 » 2015-05-03, 18:49

Hahaha interesting!
Somehow your accent in Chinese sounds very similar to the Indonesian accent in Chinese. I've never expected that, I mean, I didn't find any similarity between Czech and Indonesian (I mean the language).

So...in my opinion, I think there are some points you might be able to further look at:
- For me you seemed to mix "zh" and "ch" quite often, as well as "z" and "c".
- And you sounded like pronouncing a "t" as a "d" to me.
- For the 2 tone, if it is at the end of sentence, you sounded like the first tone.
- And for the 3 tone, I know it's a bit hard, and sometimes you do pronounce it right while some other times you mixed with 2 tone or 4 tone.
- But you're generally fine with the 1 tone & 4 tone :)

Haha well done, I think I understood most of the sentences without looking at your transcript.
Since it takes time for me to read in pinyin (we don't use that in Taiwan, I can understand it but not so familiar) and I was too lazy, I went directly to the sound track and found it quite well pronounced!
Keep going :D
--上有青冥之高天,下有淥水之波瀾。

Native: Chinese Mandarin (Traditional Character)[flag=]tw[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]
Fluent and walk the world with [flag=]en[/flag]
Understand 95% by listening but could barely order my meal in [flag=]tw[/flag] (Chinese Taiwanese)
Soooooo eager to learn [flag=]fr[/flag]
Picked up some [flag=]ja[/flag]
Able to pronounce but understand almost nothing in [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag]

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-04, 5:10

Well, to me it just sounds like a general foreigner accent, of a person that has lived in China for a while. :)

There are some little mistakes in your pinyin transcriptions.
什么 is shenme, not sheme.
Tennis is wangqiu, not wanqiu.

You have to exercize with the r sounds, and the üe vowel (in Niuyue) - bear in mind that this vowel is pronounced differently in Mainland and in Taiwan, and it seems like you are aiming for Taiwan Mandarin. In Mainland it's more like French u + schwa. In Taiwan it's more like French u + French oeu (more rounded).

And of course, 和 is he in Mainland but han in Taiwan.

You also confuse zi with ze, si and se, etc.

@gin22135: 我把他的拼音写成汉字了。你看懂简体字吗?

6. 我和(ㄏㄢˋ)我哥哥都很会打网球。
7. 他的妈妈在家。他在学校。
8. 他的小孩在学校。
9. 我是计程车司机。
10. 我妹妹是护士。
11. 他感冒,他躺在床上。
12. 我不饿,但我好渴。
13. 他年纪很大了。他98岁了。
14. 这些椅子不漂亮,但很舒服。
15. 今天天气温暖又晴朗。
16. 你迟到。没有,我没有迟到。我早到。
17. 他不在家。他在工作。
18. 这是你的外套。
19. 你叫什么名字?
20. 我叫艾伦(Alan)。
21. 你从哪里来?
22. 我来自纽约。
23. 你几岁?
24. 我20岁。
25. 你从事什么工作。
26. 我是老师。
27. 你最喜欢什么颜色?
28. 我最喜欢的颜色是蓝色。
29. 你对什么有兴趣。
30. 我对音乐有兴趣。
31. 今天好热。

gin22135

Postby gin22135 » 2015-05-04, 8:41

Youngfun wrote:Well, to me it just sounds like a general foreigner accent, of a person that has lived in China for a while. :)

Haha to me every foreigner got the accent from his/her own language and it's very interesting to see that. (Totally not in a bad way --I surely have accent too when speaking other languages -- just as someone who's interested in languages to observe this) Every language got its own problem entering another language.

To me the Vietnamese and Indonesian accent in Chinese sounds totally different. And I'd once taught a German Chinese, he has terrible problems in "j", "q" and "x" (he tended to pronounce like the English "ji" "chi" "shi") even until now I can't fix it.
Any I've met a bunch of Americans who had problems in zh, ch, sh & z,c,s, making it sound like 廁所 when they were actually saying 車子 (I really didn't know where did it come...maybe just the wrong mouth, hahaha)

Youngfun wrote:@gin22135: 我把他的拼音写成汉字了。你看懂简体字吗?

Bien sur! I read in simplified a lot as well, and they don't look that different after a short while :) And I'm actually ok to read pinyin, just more slowly.
Thanks though :D
--上有青冥之高天,下有淥水之波瀾。

Native: Chinese Mandarin (Traditional Character)[flag=]tw[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag]
Understand 95% by listening but could barely order my meal in [flag=]tw[/flag] (Chinese Taiwanese)
Able to pronounce but understand almost nothing in [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]tr[/flag]

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-04, 11:03

You're welcome.

Yeah, I'm not good at distinguishing the foreign accents in Chinese. All the 欧美人 sound the same to me. While Koreans and Vietnamese sound different. For example, Vietnamese pronounce q as j, and c as z. While Europeans and North/South Americans are more likely to do the opposite.
For me, it's easier to guess in which part of China they studied Chinese. Foreigners that learned Chinese in Northern China sound different than in Southern China or Taiwan.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum! :D
I'm happy there's one more native Chinese speaker. They are so few....

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-05-04, 18:12

Thank you very much.

Yeah, I was going for the Taiwanese Mandarin accent, because the other one was Beijinghua and it seemed more difficult to me. Especially the vowel sounds. Also the Beijinghua j sounded a little different. It reminded me of the Korean ㅈ sound. Even though I've heard at least two distinct pronunciation of that letter.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

P.S. Isn't sheme the way Taiwanese pronounce shenme? Just like : Ni shi shei? / Ni shi shui?
Oh and of course I meant to type wangqiu. :)

Indonesian has many sounds similar to Czech ones. :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-05, 0:47

Yes, but "she" is not listed as a valid pronunciation of 什 in any dictionary. The -n is assimilated to the next m, especially in Taiwanese Mandarin.

Wow, I've never noticed any difference in the pronunciation of "j".

gin22135

Postby gin22135 » 2015-05-05, 17:14

Youngfun wrote:For me, it's easier to guess in which part of China they studied Chinese. Foreigners that learned Chinese in Northern China sound different than in Southern China or Taiwan.

Hmm I could tell if this person is from the north or the south, but can't be as detailed as into provinces. My dad's good at that though, he'd had so much exposure to different Chinese accent when he was a kid.

Youngfun wrote:Oh by the way, welcome to the forum! :D
I'm happy there's one more native Chinese speaker. They are so few....

Haha thanks! I discovered this cool place because I'm seriously learning French. And just thought that I can also contribute some chinese.
And yeah I noticed, for a while you seemed to be the only active native...
And I've also noticed that ppl tend to ask questions in English here...a bit weird for me, especially compared to the French forum where everyone tried to used French to ask questions.
I mean, practice makes perfect, isn't it :) (But yeah, I strived so hard in the French forum and every question takes me 30 mins...)
--上有青冥之高天,下有淥水之波瀾。

gin22135

Postby gin22135 » 2015-05-05, 17:33

Dr. House wrote:Thank you very much.

Yeah, I was going for the Taiwanese Mandarin accent, because the other one was Beijinghua and it seemed more difficult to me.

No problem :) Kind of surprised me that someone specifically wants to learn Taiwanese accent :) But yeah, it is comparatively softer than the Beijing one.

Dr. House wrote:P.S. Isn't sheme the way Taiwanese pronounce shenme? Just like : Ni shi shei? / Ni shi shui?
Oh and of course I meant to type wangqiu. :)

Wow before Youngfun said it, I always thought "sheme" is a legitimate pronunciation...because that IS how we say it and even how we type it (using zhuyin). I thus googled it and indeed it's "shenme" even in Taiwanese dictionaries. But anyways, languages change with time.
As long as people understand you, accent is not a big deal, there's no "standard Chinese" as there's no "standard English".

Dr. House wrote:Indonesian has many sounds similar to Czech ones. :)

Wow I have a good ear then :D (*flattered*)
--上有青冥之高天,下有淥水之波瀾。

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-06, 8:18

FYI, "sheme" is also how I pronounce it. :D Or even "seme".
But I didn't imagine that it was used in the zhuyin.

gin22135

Postby gin22135 » 2015-05-06, 8:30

Haha when I was a kid, I remember I learned 什麼 as "sheme/ㄕㄜ/ ㄇㄜ." at school.
There's a group of Taiwanese professors working for the government to publish "standard pronunciation" of CHinese every several years. I think they at some point changed it to "shenme", but no one really pronounce like that in Taiwan :P
Maybe in a few years they'll change it back since they have to find something to do, hahahaha!
--上有青冥之高天,下有淥水之波瀾。

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-05-06, 8:48

I've always thought that at the beginning Taiwan was following very strictly the Beijing-based Standard Mandarin, and only recently some features of the regional accent have been accepted (like 风 fong).
Here in Mainland the stereotype is that Taiwanese pronounce 什么 as se3 mo. :mrgreen:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-02-20, 18:21

OldBoring wrote:I've always thought that at the beginning Taiwan was following very strictly the Beijing-based Standard Mandarin, and only recently some features of the regional accent have been accepted (like 风 fong).

There seem to be a lot of Taiwanese who try to imitate the Beijing accent, though, like the lead actor in 饮食男女.

Return to “Chinese (中文)”