Translation requests / 翻译请求 / 翻譯請求

Moderator: OldBoring

User avatar
Lada
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: 2003-08-10, 15:23
Real Name: Anna
Gender: female
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Translation requests / 翻译请求 / 翻譯請求

Postby Lada » 2014-03-20, 11:19

Hi everyone!

I'm preparing a present for a girl who learns Chinese, would be anyone so kind to translate this for me?

Sasha, let endless inspiration be your integral part!

With best wishes,


Thank you in advance! :)
Last edited by OldBoring on 2014-04-14, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Short translation

Postby Pangu » 2014-03-20, 21:49

Lada wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm preparing a present for a girl who learns Chinese, would be anyone so kind to translate this for me?

Sasha, let endless inspiration be your integral part!

With best wishes,


Thank you in advance! :)

薩沙,願無盡的靈感是妳不可分割的一部分!

最好的祝愿,

萨沙,愿无尽的灵感是妳不可分割的一部分!

最好的祝愿,

Sàshā, yuàn wújìn de línggǎn shì nǐ bùkě fēngē de yībùfèn!

Zuì hǎo de zhùyuàn,

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5346
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Short translation

Postby OldBoring » 2014-03-21, 13:14

Pangu wrote:萨沙,愿无尽的灵感是不可分割的一部分!

Perfect translation!
Maybe you should have told Lada that the first 2 lines are traditional Chinese, and the latter 2 simplified Chinese.
In simplified characters, 你 is used for both male and female.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Short translation

Postby Pangu » 2014-03-21, 15:11

hāozigǎnr wrote:In simplified characters, 你 is used for both male and female.

Oh wow, I had no idea there is no 妳 in Simplified Chinese. I assume it's the same with 她.

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5346
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Short translation

Postby OldBoring » 2014-03-21, 15:23

Weirdly, simplified Chinese has only one form of 你, but does distinguish 他、她、它 (so it's similar to English: only one form of you, but he/she/it).
它 is used for both animals and objects, so it also covers the traditional 牠.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Short translation

Postby Pangu » 2014-03-21, 19:01

hāozigǎnr wrote:Weirdly, simplified Chinese has only one form of 你, but does distinguish 他、她、它 (so it's similar to English: only one form of you, but he/she/it).
它 is used for both animals and objects, so it also covers the traditional 牠.

That makes sense.

If you're using "你", the person you're speaking to should know his or her own gender. Whereas if you are using "他/她", it may not be obvious.

User avatar
Lada
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 4299
Joined: 2003-08-10, 15:23
Real Name: Anna
Gender: female
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: Short translation

Postby Lada » 2014-03-22, 6:30

Guys, thanks a lot! You made me happy! :D

yggdrasil
Posts: 50
Joined: 2005-06-08, 14:18
Real Name: Михаил
Gender: male
Location: Москва
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: Short translation

Postby yggdrasil » 2014-04-10, 18:24

Hello, everyone!

I need your help with the translation of the following sentence:

凡事随缘皆有运

I would translate it this way:

If one will follow his destiny, he'll always be fotunate.

What do you think?

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5346
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Short translation

Postby OldBoring » 2014-04-14, 14:10

It's more like:

Anything that follows its destiny will always be fortunate.

yggdrasil
Posts: 50
Joined: 2005-06-08, 14:18
Real Name: Михаил
Gender: male
Location: Москва
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: Translations

Postby yggdrasil » 2014-04-14, 14:49

Thank you very much! Has this sentence some relation to Buddhism?

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5346
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Translations

Postby OldBoring » 2014-04-20, 11:55

I''m not an ekspert of Buddhism, but most likely no.

Suvi
Posts: 12
Joined: 2012-09-23, 7:12
Gender: male
Country: EE Estonia (Eesti)

Re: Translations

Postby Suvi » 2014-06-06, 14:13

Last edited by OldBoring on 2014-06-06, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link

User avatar
Tobias
Posts: 141
Joined: 2009-04-10, 21:17
Gender: male
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: Translations

Postby Tobias » 2014-09-02, 19:09

I need help in translation of this part of a sentence:

如果可以的话, ...

I would translate with: in case of possibility...

Is it correct? Why is only 如果可以,... not valid?
Please correct my mistakes - auch in Deutsch.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Translations

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-03, 3:00

Tobias wrote:I need help in translation of this part of a sentence:

如果可以的话, ...

I would translate with: in case of possibility...

Is it correct? Why is only 如果可以,... not valid?

I would translate it as "If it's possible..." or "If it's all right..." kind of depends on the context.

Hmm... it's time like this I wish my Chinese teaching skills were better. It's difficult for me to say why only 如果可以 is invalid but it is lol Sorry.

User avatar
azhong
Posts: 556
Joined: 2008-11-18, 9:06
Gender: male
Location: ZhangHua
Country: TW Taiwan (臺灣)

Re: Translations

Postby azhong » 2014-09-03, 4:30

Pangu said:
"Hmm... it's time like this I wish my Chinese teaching skills were better. It's difficult for me to say why only 如果可以 is invalid but it is lol Sorry."


Hi Pangu:

Do you really think "如果可以", without "的話" combined together, in invalid?
I do not think so. For me, it is still a correct expression in Chinese. A better one for me, I will say, valid for both writing and daily conversation.

"如果可以","如果可以的話", and "可以的話" are all correct phrases. Try google these three terms and will find them equally used.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Translations

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-03, 5:01

azhong wrote:
Pangu said:
"Hmm... it's time like this I wish my Chinese teaching skills were better. It's difficult for me to say why only 如果可以 is invalid but it is lol Sorry."


Hi Pangu:

Do you really think "如果可以", without "的話" combined together, in invalid?
I do not think so. For me, it is still a correct expression in Chinese. A better one for me, I will say, valid for both writing and daily conversation.

"如果可以","如果可以的話", and "可以的話" are all correct phrases. Try google these three terms and will find them equally used.

After thinking about it some more, you are right. I don't know why I thought it's invalid in the first place. If anything, without 的話 it's actually less colloquial.

User avatar
azhong
Posts: 556
Joined: 2008-11-18, 9:06
Gender: male
Location: ZhangHua
Country: TW Taiwan (臺灣)

Re: Translations

Postby azhong » 2014-09-03, 6:04

less colloquial, true.
(很高興有了共識,話說沒了盤古可就沒人開天闢地......我要怎麼在這裡繼續混下去...
我知道為什麼啦,你人在異邦,中文越讀越少,越用越稀?)

User avatar
Tobias
Posts: 141
Joined: 2009-04-10, 21:17
Gender: male
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: Translations

Postby Tobias » 2014-09-12, 20:12

谢谢!
In the next sentence I have a problem with the 吓 (xià):
..., 他们都被背面的汉字吓到了呢!
Background: they all see the chinese characters on the back side of the postcard she has got. 吓 means amongst others frighten, threaten. But this is senselessly in this sentence. And I don't know a connection with 到.
Please correct my mistakes - auch in Deutsch.

User avatar
Pangu
Posts: 429
Joined: 2010-05-05, 11:23
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Translations

Postby Pangu » 2014-09-13, 20:25

Tobias wrote:谢谢!
In the next sentence I have a problem with the 吓 (xià):
..., 他们都被背面的汉字吓到了呢!
Background: they all see the chinese characters on the back side of the postcard she has got. 吓 means amongst others frighten, threaten. But this is senselessly in this sentence. And I don't know a connection with 到.

The translation would be "They were scared/frightened by the Hanzi on the backside."

I assume the context would be that "they" are learning Chinese and the "backside" is filled with Hanzi they don't understand so they were scared/frightened?

The 到 here indicates that the verb 吓 (to scare, to frighten) was successful.

User avatar
Tobias
Posts: 141
Joined: 2009-04-10, 21:17
Gender: male
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Re: Translations

Postby Tobias » 2014-09-15, 14:06

The background is not completely. The addressee of the postcard is a Chinese. So I would expect words like 惊异 not 吓. And "they" are the family of her.
And it's a friendly postcard.
Please correct my mistakes - auch in Deutsch.


Return to “Chinese (中文)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest