Gender thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

What is your gender identity?

Agender
4%
Aliagender
No votes
Ambigender
No votes
Androgyne
No votes
Bigender
No votes
Cis man
52%
Cis woman
11%
Demiboy
2%
Demigirl
4%
Demienby
No votes
Feminine-of-Center
4%
Genderfluid
No votes
Genderless
2%
Genderqueer
4%
Masculine-of-Center
No votes
Multigender
No votes
Neutrois
4%
Pangender
No votes
Polygender
No votes
Third gender
No votes
(Trans) feminine
4%
Trans man
No votes
(Trans) masculine
No votes
Trans woman
4%
Trigender
No votes
Other/not listed
9%

Total votes: 56

Lauren
Gender thread [PRS]

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-16, 19:22

Let me preface this by saying that no bigotry, hate or discrimination based on gender is acceptable in this thread. If you are bigoted, hateful and discriminatory, you are not welcome here and will be reported. This is meant to be a safe space for talk about gender.

----------

I've been posting gender-related stuff in the "Romance, sexuality, and such" thread but thought I'd like to open a thread specifically meant for discussion of gender by anyone, whether they're trans/non-binary or not (and as long as they don't police others' identities).

Select all that describe you! If you need definitions, see here.

I wish I could include pronouns too, but there isn't enough space, and this forum doesn't allow for multiple polls in one thread. :/

----------

I myself am currently not entirely sure of which label(s) suit(s) me. I am AMAB (assigned male at birth) and have identified as a trans woman for about two and a half years now. But, just using "woman" or "trans woman" has never really felt like a complete definition of my gender. I definitely feel feminine in some way, but again I am questioning what exactly that means to me. I feel like I identify with women, but not as a woman. Meaning, I feel feminine, but I don't feel like simply a woman. I've been thinking about it recently, and I think neutrois might feel right for me, maybe feminine neutrois or something. I like being read as a woman by others, but have never really felt comfortable with people using the pronouns she/her/hers for me. But at the same time they/them/their(s) doesn't feel comfortable either, and neither does my name. I don't know, shit's complicated.

As for my gender expression, I don't know of a fitting label. I prefer presenting as what some might call "androgynous", but I will not use that word for myself since I am not male/masculine in any way. Sometimes I do like presenting somewhat feminine, though.
Last edited by Lauren on 2015-05-16, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

TeneReef

Re: Gender thread

Postby TeneReef » 2015-05-16, 21:59

I'm a ghost, so I voted for agender. :D
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2015-05-16, 22:09

Male, never questioned this fact nor tried to change it. :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-05-16, 22:16

Don't you think this is a bit too much? Personally I don't care about gender, I have no issues ticking a box stating my sex, but I also don't feel like it has any more meaning than that and I don't see why somebody should frame their life according to some social construct even if you expand the number of boxes from 2 to 25

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-16, 22:41

I think cis people thinking trans lives and identities don't matter is too much.
Trans woman  Image

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-05-16, 22:43

I identify as a sevengender demigod and feel discriminated you didn't put that option in there.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-05-16, 22:44

How am I not surprised that haters are a-hatin'

Well, back on the serious topic, I have marked myself as a cis man because that's what I identify as.

There are some options that I don't understand or have ever heard about but then again I acknowledge I'm quite ignorant in this topic and open to learn so I'll be checking the discussion.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-16, 22:55

TheStrayCat wrote:Male, never questioned this fact nor tried to change it. :)

Well it doesn't hurt to be introspective and find out why you think that way. :) Maybe you'll find out something about yourself that you didn't know before.

loqu wrote:Well, back on the serious topic, I have marked myself as a cis man because that's what I identify as.

There are some options that I don't understand or have ever heard about but then again I acknowledge I'm quite ignorant in this topic and open to learn so I'll be checking the discussion.

Well I did include a list of definitions in the link in my first post. ;)
Trans woman  Image

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-05-16, 23:10

I have a penis therefore I'm male. Case closed. :mrgreen:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-05-16, 23:13

Lauren wrote:I think cis people thinking trans lives and identities don't matter is too much.

I see that "let's get butthurt" month at Unilang continues. I am not the one making poll that doesn't provide "other" as an option

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-16, 23:23

Levike wrote:I have a penis therefore I'm male. Case closed. :mrgreen:

I have a penis but I am not male at all. Case re-opened.
Sol Invictus wrote:
Lauren wrote:I think cis people thinking trans lives and identities don't matter is too much.

I see that "let's get butthurt" month at Unilang continues. I am not the one making poll that doesn't provide "other" as an option

You're right, that should be an option and that is an oversight on my part. I added an "Other/not listen" option to the poll. That has nothing to do with you erasing trans identities though. Please refrain from posting in this thread if that is your only motive.
Trans woman  Image

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2015-05-16, 23:24

Lauren wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:Male, never questioned this fact nor tried to change it. :)

Well it doesn't hurt to be introspective and find out why you think that way. :) Maybe you'll find out something about yourself that you didn't know before.

Thanks, but here I'm firm in my beliefs. Plus, I've found some more interesting and less apparent things about myself just by living on my own, however, this doesn't belong to the topic. ;)

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2015-05-16, 23:28

admin

I must remind you all of the forum policy regarding how you treat other members. That is mocking members due to their self-identity will not be tolerated at all and will result you being privately warned or banned by a forum moderation team member. Please be respectful of the others and make the forum a welcoming place for all. Otherwise, I suggest to ignore this thread and that shouldn't be difficult. Thank you for your cooperation.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-05-16, 23:32

I identify as cis male. I've never felt like any other gender.

Also, I think that by adding that 26th option, it deleted previous votes in the poll. 'Cause before the addition, there was TeneReef's agender vote and another cis man.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-05-16, 23:47

Lauren wrote:That has nothing to do with you erasing trans identities though. Please refrain from posting in this thread if that is your only motive.

If you don't want to hear about other people's thoughts on the matter that differ from your own ideas then maybe you're the one who shouldn't post questions like this on public forums. I didn't erase anything, I only was trying to point out to you that your seemingly super inclusive poll that tries to encompass every shade of gender identity still had no option for me, because judging by definition you posted I either must be a woman, a man or want to cut my genitals off

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-05-17, 0:30

Lauren wrote:

Well that's you and this is me and I always knew what my gender is based on how my body looks.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-17, 0:33

Levike wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Well that's you and this is me and I always knew what my gender is.

The problem is that you implied that if you have a penis you must be a man. While that is true for you, for many, like me, it is not.

@Koko: Yes, unfortunately editing poll options erases votes.

@Sol Invictus:
I already apologized for not having an "Other" option and amended that. And the maximum number of options one can have is 28, so I couldn't fit more than 2 more if I wanted to. You are encouraged to talk about your gender identity here if you want to. I would love to hear about what you identify as if you'd feel comfortable telling me.

Also, not all trans people want surgery that changes their genitalia. I certainly do not, for one. And there are many options in the poll that have nothing to do with the binary genders of man and woman.
Trans woman  Image

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-05-17, 0:46

Lauren wrote:I already apologized for not having an "Other" option and amended that. And the maximum number of options one can have is 28, so I couldn't fit more than 2 more if I wanted to. You are encouraged to talk about your gender identity here if you want to. I would love to hear about what you identify as if you'd feel comfortable telling me.

I did tell you about my identity, that was the point of my initial post here, which you sadly misinterpreted as a personal attack

Also, not all trans people want surgery that changes their genitalia. I certainly do not, for one. And there are many options in the poll that have nothing to do with the binary genders of man and woman.

I know, but non-man/woman options still seem to imply having some level of gender dysphoria

EDIT: Actually I could rephrase my first post. In everyday life I do identify with my sex, both because it is practical and because I really dislike reactions I had to people online learning that I am female. However on a personal level I do not feel like a woman, I like masculine things better and maybe I would be happier, if I had been born a male, but given that I was not, claiming to be a man just feels false to me. I looked up definitions of options listed that seemed not to imply being a man or a woman, but all of those seemed to also imply either not being happy with one's body and wanting to have no biological sex or having some different gender identity. Considering that I don't understand why we should put a label on everything and make such a big deal out of it - if normally we have 2-3 categories, now we have a ton more and they still are not relevant. Why can't we all just be humans with different attitudes to life not determinated by our bodies (whatever they are like and what we might want them to be)?
Last edited by Sol Invictus on 2015-05-17, 7:32, edited 1 time in total.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-05-17, 7:21

I read that glossary and I learned a few useful terms, but I don't get the difference between agender and genderless. Anyway, I'm a cis man. Sometimes I feel like I want to experience what it's like to be a woman, but that's kind of pointless because there's no way for me to ever truly know without becoming one, and I can't do that. (chorus to "Running Up That Hill" starts playing)
there is no such thing as a "female body" or a "male body".
If we are using male and female as biological terms, there is. But if we're talking about gender, we're talking about psychology, not biology, so it's moot here.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-05-17, 7:27

Koko wrote:I identify as cis male. I've never felt like any other gender.

Also, I think that by adding that 26th option, it deleted previous votes in the poll. 'Cause before the addition, there was TeneReef's agender vote and another cis man.

I guess the additional cis man of yesterday was me, I've voted again.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Return to “Politics and Religion”