Random Religion Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Religion?

Catholicism
11%
Protestantism
11%
Eastern Orthodox
5%
Judaism
3%
Sunni Islam
3%
Shiite Islam
1%
European Neo-Pagan
4%
Tribal Religion
1%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
5%
Shinto
No votes
Atheism
33%
Agnostic
10%
Other (specify)
12%
Mormon
0%
Scientologist
No votes

Total votes: 232

Vlürch
Re: Random Religion Thread

Postby Vlürch » 2017-04-04, 12:45

Varislintu wrote:I've also noticed Alfa TV, but I haven't noticed that it would be anti-evolution. They ran a series of German (!?) mini-documentaries about vaccines that were pro-vaccine so they are not completely anti-science, at least. At first the channel also triggered my spidey-sense, because it has very religiously themed programs, but I've warmed up to it a little bit. I don't think they're batshit crazy fundies behind it. I've even watched some of it, like a docu on Doctors without Borders.

Hmm, so I got them mixed up. Annoyingly, though, I noticed that TV7 is back and there was a so-called "documentary" that bluntly stated in the description something like "There is a global conspiracy by scientists to hide evidence of creationism, and even high-ranking Israeli archaeologists are involved! We also have solid proof that Jews militarily conquered Egypt during Moses' time, and thus Egypt rightfully belongs to Israel!" and cringed pretty hard. I didn't watch it since I have no interest in losing brain cells, but Jesus fucking Christ. :roll:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-04-06, 6:47

Vlürch wrote:Hmm, so I got them mixed up. Annoyingly, though, I noticed that TV7 is back and there was a so-called "documentary" that bluntly stated in the description something like "There is a global conspiracy by scientists to hide evidence of creationism, and even high-ranking Israeli archaeologists are involved! We also have solid proof that Jews militarily conquered Egypt during Moses' time, and thus Egypt rightfully belongs to Israel!" and cringed pretty hard. I didn't watch it since I have no interest in losing brain cells, but Jesus fucking Christ. :roll:

Yeah, TV7 is... creepy.

It's embarrassing, but the founder of TV7 is actually a relative of mine. :para: Basically that religious section of the extended family has cut itself off from the rest of us on their own accord a couple of generations ago, I guess because they were too busy with their evangelism to associate with unbelieving relatives.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-07, 23:46

Varislintu wrote:It's embarrassing, but the founder of TV7 is actually a relative of mine. :para:

Then you know how I feel about some of my maternal cousins. :P
Basically that religious section of the extended family has cut itself off from the rest of us on their own accord a couple of generations ago, I guess because they were too busy with their evangelism to associate with unbelieving relatives.

Then you know how my mom's entire family feels about one of said cousins.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-05-13, 2:22

All those people going to see the Pope made me wonder how many people in this country are still pretty religious after all these years. I had the feeling that half of Catholics here are only so on paper. :hmm:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-05-13, 2:27

Prowler wrote:All those people going to see the Pope made me wonder how many people in this country are still pretty religious after all these years. I had the feeling that half of Catholics here are only so on paper. :hmm:

Do you have to be religious to go see the Pope? I mean, how many would go to see the Queen of England if she came?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2017-05-13, 2:36

linguoboy wrote:
Prowler wrote:All those people going to see the Pope made me wonder how many people in this country are still pretty religious after all these years. I had the feeling that half of Catholics here are only so on paper. :hmm:

Do you have to be religious to go see the Pope? I mean, how many would go to see the Queen of England if she came?

Several people travelled long distances, though. Not to mention many went on peregrination by foot. It's not like the Pope came to the capital city where most people live. Usually people don't care much about the Pope if they're not religious, I'd say.

And tbh, many people go to Fátima once or twice a year. The Pope doesn't need to come here for people to flock there. I think my uncle went there several times in the last 5-6 years, per example.

I don't think it's easy to go see the Queen of England since I assume her security team would block the view. At best you could see her car passing by or something.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2017-11-01, 12:34

Update: still atheist with secular European neo-"pagan" interests, I guess... Maybe I just wish I could have a cultural background for myself that wasn't Christian/Muslim, which is interesting, since I wasn't even raised that...
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-12-31, 14:23

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-31, 19:48

Okay, I'm too curious not to ask: What bothers you about that video?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-01-01, 20:25

vijayjohn wrote:Okay, I'm too curious not to ask: What bothers you about that video?

Niqabs and niqab apologia bother me. Even that would be fine, but religious fanaticism masking itself as "feminism" is hard for me to stomach.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 20:37

How is it religious fanaticism?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-01-01, 22:40

vijayjohn wrote:How is it religious fanaticism?

Why do you think people wear the niqab?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 23:24

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:How is it religious fanaticism?

Why do you think people wear the niqab?

I can't pretend I'm any sort of authority on that, so I looked it up, and I guess I see what you mean now.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-02-10, 18:56

I've honestly stopped breaking my head open trying to think of a meaning/purpose for all existence. For all I know and care, the universe and life just exist for the sake of it and no important reason in particular. And one's day to day life is usually busy enough to prevent you from getting lost in such thoughts, anyway. It's best just to try and enjoy our time left as we're still healthy.

However, it'd be nice if there was some sort of afterlife and that going to a better place when we die was a thing, but I just can't bring myself to believe that. It seems illogical for me. I have read some descriptions about people who've been clinically dead for some minutes at some point in their lives and they basically described feeling nothing and just seeing everything black, although they found it to be a peaceful sensation... that kind of matches what I've always imagined to feel like.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-26, 15:48

Another interesting survey of religious attitudes and behaviours in Europe, this one focused on young adults: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/21/christianity-non-christian-europe-young-people-survey-religion.

(The full report is available here: https://www.stmarys.ac.uk/research/centres/benedict-xvi/docs/2018-mar-europe-young-people-report-eng.pdf.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-08-17, 17:29

(deleted, wrong thread)
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-09-29, 19:52

Sometimes I wonder why people abandoned the ancient religions. When I was in school I used to read a lot about Roman mythology, and I used to know a lot of stories about gods and people. Someway they seem to me “more related” to human beings. They were in love, they were jealous, they had the same feelings as us. Whereas in the actual monotheistic religions, at least in the one that I know better, almost everything related to human characteristics it’s a sin :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-29, 23:37

Antea wrote:Sometimes I wonder why people abandoned the ancient religions.

Because they were forced to?

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-09-30, 0:57

The early christians weren't forced to convert. They weren't persecuted either, as long as they paid lip service to the Roman gods (because not doing so would mean disrespecting the emperor by not recognising him as a god). From what I remember from Latin class, some of those early converts to christianity did so because they saw it as a more attractive, hands-on religion rather than distant gods who were only ever out for their own benefit anyway.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-30, 1:38

True, a lot of people were not forced to convert to a monotheistic religion, and there are a variety of reasons why people did (and still do). But I'm not sure there has ever been a situation where all the members of a (polytheistic?) religion converted to a monotheistic one without the use of force.

Of course, it's also not the case that everyone has completely abandoned ancient religions. I think it's fair to say that you can find plenty of examples of people continuing to practice ancient religions in India (just as an example).

Return to “Politics and Religion”