Turkey in the EU

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Should Turkey be admitted into the EU?

Turkey is suitable to be admitted now
14%
Turkey is not suitable at the present, but will be in the future
48%
Turkey should not be admitted now or in the future (explain your reasons)
38%

Total votes: 126

Levo
Re: Turkey in the EU

Postby Levo » 2013-06-27, 13:47

linguoboy wrote:
Levo wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Levo wrote:As far as i'm concerned in the USA such things exist as nationwide minimum salary?

There is a minimum hourly wage (currently $7.25).

So it actually does exist

Um, no. A wage is not a salary. If you're an hourly employee working twenty hours one week and five ours the next, you get paid for twenty-five hours. If you're salaried, you get paid the same semimonthly stipend no matter how many hours you worked. There's no minimum number of hours an employee needs to be given and, therefore, no minimum monthly or yearly earnings.

Levo wrote:
linguoboy wrote:[The median household income of Maryland is over $67,000. In Mississippi, it barely tops $39,000.

I understand what you would like to point at, comparing it to our situation. But here the difference is around X4 between EU-15 and EU-newer Central-European states.

Here's the difference: Maryland and Mississippi have been part of the same federal union for just shy of 200 years; the gap has shrunk enormously, but it still persists. Hungary hasn't even been part of the EU for ten. I suspect people's expectations of the benefits of accession (and the speed with which they would be delivered) were less than realistic.

Who told you we had expectations like that?
I mentioned already in this topic that I'm bringing it up here only, because Turkey would face similar problems (just with even worse standards than in my example) and we still have so big differences within EU already. And being called an "equal citizen" in EU, then, no matter how embarrasing it is for more developed states, I have the right to stand for these rights :) Not if I wasn't happy the way I am already. But in theory, I could vie for the implementation of these rights, don't I? :wink: Like minorities for minority rights or women for equal pay. (And I don't even want an equal pay, just an equal purchase power locally for the same job).
If someone wants another 80 million people like that, then face this factor.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-06-27, 14:26

Levo wrote:(And I don't even want an equal pay, just an equal purchase power locally for the same job).

This is a prime example of American-European culture clash. I don't think many Americans would agree that you have a "right" to that. In this country, if you don't like the market conditions where you are, you move.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-06-27, 16:49

Croatia will be entering the EU in 4 day's time.
Say welcome to EU's Puerto Rico. :rotfl:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2013-06-28, 12:42

TeneReef wrote:Croatia will be entering the EU in 4 day's time.
Say welcome to EU's Puerto Rico. :rotfl:

I did :D

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-07-01, 0:22

TeneReef wrote:Say welcome to EU's Puerto Rico. :rotfl:

Culturally, economically or what else?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-07-02, 18:17

IpseDixit wrote:
TeneReef wrote:Say welcome to EU's Puerto Rico. :rotfl:

Culturally, economically or what else?

Musically! Turbo folk--it's the salsa of Europe.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-03, 8:39

linguoboy wrote:Musically! Turbo folk--it's the salsa of Europe.
As long as it's not the reggaetón.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-02-16, 17:20

I've already voted against Turkey joining the EU, and I'll explain my reason with more details:

Turkey is a country where many locals hate foreigners, especially non-Muslims. It praises Daesh, a bunch of terrorists whose hobby is beheading people. I've never been hostile, but always been friendly to foreigners I saw. I hate Turkey being a radical Islamic country nowadays. I'm not a Muslim and I'm against the hostility against people. By the way, even 100 years passed from the genocide, Turkey still denies the Armenian genocide and condemns the countries which recognise these events as genocide. I agree that 1.5 million Armenians were really killed by the Ottoman Empire (present-day Turkey). Because of that, I'll never vote yes to Turkey's accession to the EU. Turkey can only enter the EU if they recognise the Armenian genocide, stop supporting and funding terrorism, and make Christianity the official religion of the country.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-02-16, 17:47

Elaine wrote:and make Christianity the official religion of the country.

What? That doesn't make any sense. Not even half of the country is Christian, why would they do that?

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2016-02-16, 18:04

Levike wrote:

What? That doesn't make any sense. Not even half of the country is Christian, why would they do that?

But Turkey's soil is historically Christian. The first churches were built in Anatolia.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-02-16, 18:10

Elaine wrote:But Turkey's soil is historically Christian. The first churches were built in Anatolia.

And Greece's soil historically belongs to Zeus and his fellow gods.

Following your logic you'd also have to erase Turkish as the official language.

The "soil" belongs to the people living on it (to those who "own" it).

And according to Wikipedia the majority of Turkey's population is Muslim (>90%), that is you'd have to force 70+ million people change their culture or at least accept another religion as their country's new official religion.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-16, 20:52

Levike wrote:

Not only is this an extremely illiberal policy, it flies in the face of trends in the EU (and the Western world in general). The only remaining EU countries with a state religion are England, Finland, Denmark (and its dependencies), Iceland, Malta, and Greece. Sweden disestablished its official church five years after joining and Iceland's Ásatrúarfélagið recently got permission to build a temple to the Norse gods in the capital.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-02-16, 21:26

linguoboy wrote:Denmark (and its dependencies)

Neither the Faroes nor Greenland are members of the EU, so they don't really need to be mentioned here ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-02-16, 21:41

Johanna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Denmark (and its dependencies)

Neither the Faroes nor Greenland are members of the EU, so they don't really need to be mentioned here ;)

Argh! I just read a summary of the political history of Greenland recently, but clearly I misunderstood this crucial point.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2016-02-17, 6:44

linguoboy wrote:Argh! I just read a summary of the political history of Greenland recently, but clearly I misunderstood this crucial point.

Well, they were a member, they became one when Denmark proper did since they were still an integrated part of it back then. However, a few years after they were granted home rule they opted to leave the union.

The Faroes have had home rule since the 1940's, so they've never been part of the EU.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2016-02-17, 12:44

Iceland isn't a member either, nor will it become one (unless they change their mind again at some point in the future). They withdrew their application last year.

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2016-04-15, 15:14

… Exactly what would the benefit of joining the E.U. be say I … after reading threw the entire front of it and still nah, yeah something might be a benefit if ones already a member. But as a non member state it's literally not as if one couldn't just copy better laws and do things better.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-24, 15:40

Is it too late to vote for the second option now? :para:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-10-24, 17:07

vijayjohn wrote:Is it too late to vote for the second option now? :para:

Is it too late to abstain? :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-24, 19:50

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Is it too late to vote for the second option now? :para:

Is it too late to abstain? :lol:

Is it ever?? I mean, provided you didn't already vote, of course. :D I still haven't.

I read over what you said (six years ago!) about your opinion, and...I mean, I get that Europe isn't doing so well, but is the Near East or whatever doing any better? :hmm: And does Turkey have a bad reputation there now?

Return to “Politics and Religion”