日本語の雑談 (Japanese Language Discussion)

Meera
Re: 日本語の雑談 (Japanese Language Discussion)

Postby Meera » 2015-07-06, 19:01

Does 魔法 しょうじょ literally mean Magic Girl? Is しょうじょ (I think it might be 少女 in Kanji) a synonym for 女の子? Or do the imply different meanings?
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-07-07, 0:20

Meera wrote:Does 魔法 しょうじょ literally mean Magic Girl? Is しょうじょ (I think it might be 少女 in Kanji) a synonym for 女の子? Or do the imply different meanings?

魔法少女 does indeed mean "magic girl". 少女 is used for girls around the ages of 7-18. 女の子 can be used for all girls.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-07-07, 5:36

Yasna wrote:
Meera wrote:Does 魔法 しょうじょ literally mean Magic Girl? Is しょうじょ (I think it might be 少女 in Kanji) a synonym for 女の子? Or do the imply different meanings?

魔法少女 does indeed mean "magic girl". 少女 is used for girls around the ages of 7-18. 女の子 can be used for all girls.

Thank you Yasna!
अहिंसा/เจ

TommyZamora2

Postby TommyZamora2 » 2015-09-05, 20:54

Hello everyone! Im looking for a good place to start studying 日本語!
Now, I'm looking for a place that will help me study the language, so phrase learning resources won't help. I'd also like to learn with Hiragana and Katakana not Romaji, and I would like to start from basic grammar and what not(From the ground up)
Thanks so much for the help, i just didn't now where to start! Perhaps one of you has a course? Btw sorry if i posted this in the wrong place and sorry if I'm going off topic, ill be gone quick.
どうもありがとう!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-05, 21:02

What specifically are you looking for?
Websites? Textbooks? Grammars?

I know Tae Kim's website tends to be highly recommended by others. (I'm sure someone can get a link if you want.)

As for books, of the ones I've personally seen that don't use romaji heavily, Genki is the clear winner. I've also used Living Language Japanese before, and liked it a good deal, but it uses romaji throughout and takes learning the kana and kanji far to slowly for what I can guess your after.

TommyZamora2

Postby TommyZamora2 » 2015-09-05, 21:16

Oh, hey there Ksiezycowy! Thanks for helping me...again :D !
Anything is fine honestly, although websites and Grammars would be ideal but i could still order a book.
Hmmm Tae Kim's you say? Thats atleast the second or so time I've hard that, i might actually have to go check it out. Btw i hear someone named Daniel on this site has a short course? I may have read wrong tough...
but it uses romaji throughout and takes learning the kana and kanji far to slowly for what I can guess your after.

Yeah, I've been learning the Kana at a decent rate already using memrise. But ill still check it out. Thank you so much, you are always so helpful!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-05, 21:26

Living Language has a tooooon of audio support. Of course I mean the older 2004 edition, but as I understand it, the newer edition is quite similar. Not that I've personally seen the newer version.

But, as I've said elsewhere, I'm a shameless Genki supporter. :P

Anywho, glad I could help. And I'm sure some of the others will stop by and give another resource or two to check out.

EDIT:
Here's that link btw: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/

TommyZamora2

Postby TommyZamora2 » 2015-09-06, 13:28

As for Kanji, I downloaded an app called Anki that shows them on flash cards and tells you how to pronounce them through kana. Its also pretty cool because at the bottom it shows it in examples or forming similar words.
Just thought I'd share my find this morning.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-09-28, 6:07

księżycowy wrote:But, as I've said elsewhere, I'm a shameless Genki supporter. :P

I am part of the Genki cult too :oops:
अहिंसा/เจ

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-09-28, 12:26

Meera wrote:I am part of the Genki cult too :oops:

Join the PARTAY! :partyhat:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-20, 2:55

Can Japanese people actually write Kanji?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNxPRBvRQg

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-12-20, 3:53

The first girl couldn't write like anything :P
अहिंसा/เจ

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-12-20, 20:45

Nowadays they rarely handwrite anything, but their names, right? One only needs to read kanji.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-22, 6:58

While the waapuro-baka syndrome also exists in China, in Japan it's a lot more widespread than I thought.

Yea, the first girl that wrote sentou (戦闘) as 戦"" made me crack. :lol: How can sugar have to do with battle? :P

Another thing that I suspect is that the Japanese don't learn the Kanji according to the meaning and logic, but according to pronunciation? Some of them use homophone kanji that have nothing to with the meaning.

Like "bribe" wairo (賄賂) written as 絡路 (net-road) or 絡露(net-expose)? A Chinese would at least have guessed the 貝 radical which had to do with money.

Another reason may be that for more complex and less used kanji, they can always resort to hiragana, so learning to write those kanji by hand is not strictly necessarily.

Another reason may be that Japanese kana are harder than Chinese kana, they have so many different pronunciations and irregularities.

Another reason may be that some words are borrowed from Chinese. In Chinese many compounds make sense because they are formed according to Chinese logic, according to the Chinese meaning of each character.
E.g. Japanese 戦闘 comes from the Chinese 戰鬥. In Chinese 鬥 means "to fight", so it's a character that the Chinese know anyway and use in daily life, and not only as part of the word "battle".

Also, some characters in Chinese are are pronounced similar to their "phonetic part" (a part of the character). E.g. 賄賂 is hui lu. 賄 has a similar pronunciation with 有, while 賂 has a similar pronunciation with other hanzi that have the 各 part.
Last edited by OldBoring on 2015-12-27, 3:58, edited 1 time in total.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-12-27, 3:20

Dr. House wrote:Nowadays they rarely handwrite anything, but their names, right? One only needs to read kanji.

Yeah and the keyboards are usually laid out in romaji/hiragana.
अहिंसा/เจ

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-12-27, 13:55

Meera wrote:
Dr. House wrote:Nowadays they rarely handwrite anything, but their names, right? One only needs to read kanji.

Yeah and the keyboards are usually laid out in romaji/hiragana.

True. On the other hand, handwriting the language looks so cool. :D

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-27, 14:02

Damn, we should teach these Japanese how to write Kanji. :twisted:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-12-28, 15:27

Anyone who is still a student gets plenty of practice writing kanji from taking notes.

OldBoring wrote:Another reason may be that some words are borrowed from Chinese. In Chinese many compounds make sense because they are formed according to Chinese logic, according to the Chinese meaning of each character.
E.g. Japanese 戦闘 comes from the Chinese 戰鬥. In Chinese 鬥 means "to fight", so it's a character that the Chinese know anyway and use in daily life, and not only as part of the word "battle".

Japanese uses similar logic. The word たたかう (to fight) can actually be written either 戦う, or less commonly 闘う. And 闘 can be found in other relatively common words that have to do with fighting like 格闘 and 闘争.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-29, 12:48

OK, but people like the first girl of the video would write it kana, right?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-12-29, 15:47

OldBoring wrote:OK, but people like the first girl of the video would write it kana, right?

She would probably write たたかう in kana, unless she was typing.

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”