日本語の雑談 (Japanese Language Discussion)

הענט
Re: 日本語の雑談 (Japanese Language Discussion)

Postby הענט » 2014-12-05, 19:42

暇なとき何をしていますか。

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-12-08, 3:19

Koko wrote:What titles can you use with pets? San, kun, chan? I assume these are possible, but are there any titles specific to use with pets?

I'm not an expert on this so take my answer with a grain of salt but my Japanese teacher callled Hello Kitty, Kitty chan and when I told her about my dog she always asked me "how is Priya chan?"
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-12-08, 7:35

Hmm, so if I understand correctly, you're suggesting it's possible and probably preferrable to use the familiar titles with pets? Yay! Time to start calling my cat Supuukii-chan :mrgreen: .

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-12-08, 10:13

Meera wrote:
Koko wrote:What titles can you use with pets? San, kun, chan? I assume these are possible, but are there any titles specific to use with pets?

I'm not an expert on this so take my answer with a grain of salt but my Japanese teacher callled Hello Kitty, Kitty chan and when I told her about my dog she always asked me "how is Priya chan?"

Your dog has an Indian name? Sounds nice. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-01-04, 7:33

Koko wrote:Hmm, so if I understand correctly, you're suggesting it's possible and probably preferrable to use the familiar titles with pets? Yay! Time to start calling my cat Supuukii-chan :mrgreen: .

haha I'm not sure its just what my teacher called pets maybe its only her I'm not sure lol But after she said it I now call my dog "Priya chan" all the time :P

Dr. House wrote:Your dog has an Indian name? Sounds nice. :)

Yeah its one of my favorite Indian names :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-24, 21:24

Is the difference between an agglutinated noun phrase (adjective+noun) and an adjective simply modifying a noun like the difference between "red wine" (a type of wine) from a wine that is merely red? (akai tsuki = a moon of a red colour VS akatsuki = a crimson moon (seen as a noun itself))
Last edited by Koko on 2015-01-25, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2015-03-31, 15:49

Does anyone here know how people with Asperger's (or just socially awkward outsiders) in Japan feel about/cope with the elaborate Japanese system of politeness and formality? Based on the descriptions I'd imagine they find it much harder to function than their equivalents who use languages where such distictions are relatively minimal (like English).
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-03-31, 16:33

pittmirg wrote:Does anyone here know how people with Asperger's (or just socially awkward outsiders) in Japan feel about/cope with the elaborate Japanese system of politeness and formality? Based on the descriptions I'd imagine they find it much harder to function than their equivalents who use languages where such distictions are relatively minimal (like English).

I don't know, but this book may answer your question.

The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2015-04-01, 8:48

Skimmed through it and sadly it appears that no, not really. It's too unspecific language-wise and I'm rather looking for stuff from more high-functioning autism spectrum people (or just outsiders who find it difficult to fit in and read social cues because of e.g. isolation), the sort that might attempt to live a non-disabled life, say, pursue a 'normal' career at a company etc.
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-18, 4:23

Does anyone know why Hatsune Miku uses boku? I thought it could only be used by males, just like ore. Or is there some added significance when a female uses boku?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-06-18, 15:38

Koko wrote:Does anyone know why Hatsune Miku uses boku? I thought it could only be used by males, just like ore. Or is there some added significance when a female uses boku?

First of all, many female singers do this, not just Hatsune Miku. There is loads of debate about it on the Japanese web, but the main reason seems to be that they are singing from a male perspective so that male fans can project themselves onto the song, and identify with it better (e.g. when singing along.) As you may know, males make up the vast majority of the fans of artists who do this like AKB48, Hatsune Miku, or Nana Mizuki. If the song is targeted at females, then you can expect to see "watashi" or "atashi". One of the first instances of a singer doing this seems to be in Ikue Sakakibara's 1978 song "夏のお嬢さん" where she sings "ぼくは君に首ったけなんだよ".

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-18, 22:33

Oh ok thank you ^^ . I've only noticed it in Hatsune Miku: I haven't heard many other female artists.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-24, 6:31

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=XyXJhHpoP3A

The very last two lines, am I right in saying they read (in hiragana (some kanji I know), so I don't have to add spaces)?:
はるいてきたにちのりふりかれば君がいる
行くみちは 【らがえ/がらえ?】たけれど。

I can't read kanji :blush: And I really can't even begin to figure out whether it's ragae, garae, gagae, or what. I just know it ends with an e.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-06-24, 14:03

Koko wrote:The very last two lines, am I right in saying they read (in hiragana (some kanji I know), so I don't have to add spaces)?:
はるいてきたにちのりふりかれば君がいる
行くみちは 【らがえ/がらえ?】たけれど。

I can't read kanji :blush: And I really can't even begin to figure out whether it's ragae, garae, gagae, or what. I just know it ends with an e.

歩いてきた道程 振り返れば君がいる
あるいてきたみちのり ふりかえればきみがいる

行く路は違えたけれど
いくみちはたがえたけれど

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-24, 17:03

Can't read kanji, remember ;) What's the kana?

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2015-06-24, 19:09

Koko wrote:Can't read kanji, remember ;) What's the kana?

Yasna wrote:歩いてきた道程 振り返れば君がいる
あるいてきたみちのり ふりかえればきみがいる

行く路は違えたけれど
いくみちはたがえたけれど

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-24, 19:16

Ignore my stupidity :whistle: Haha!

Thanks :blush: Hey! I didn't do too bad by trying to figure them out by listening ^^

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-30, 5:59

Another question for the same song: what does the kanji at 3:54-4:04 read? And is it possible that it is the same as the conlang[*] beside it?

I think the first line says: 辛いらな忘れてほしい。

Which then would translate to something like "I want to forget if it it hurts"?? I'm not sure what the 〜なら means. Wordreference was little help. I do recognize the "kimi o" of the next line, and after that, a kanji i don't recognize and "付けるだけの."

[*] I really want to know what it is. It looks so interesting and I won't believe it isn't a conlang :whistle:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2015-06-30, 12:48

Koko wrote:Another question for the same song: what does the kanji at 3:54-4:04 read? And is it possible that it is the same as the conlang[*] beside it?

I think the first line says: 辛いらな忘れてほしい。

Which then would translate to something like "I want to forget if it it hurts"?? I'm not sure what the 〜なら means. Wordreference was little help. I do recognize the "kimi o" of the next line, and after that, a kanji i don't recognize and "付けるだけの."

[*] I really want to know what it is. It looks so interesting and I won't believe it isn't a conlang :whistle:

辛いなら忘れてほしい
つらい なら わすれて ほしい

君を傷付けるだけの
きみ を きずつける だけ の

コノ存在ヲ!
この そんざい を!

"If it pains you, I want you to forget this presence of mine that does nothing but hurt you."

~なら means "if". I have no idea about the conlang. I probably know less about conlangs than anyone else on this forum.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-30, 18:07

Thanks Yasna!

And, yeah, that conlang's such a mystery I can't even find anything about :? .

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”