Refreshing my First Language

abcdcubed
Refreshing my First Language

Postby abcdcubed » 2015-09-17, 12:23

Hello, I am just wondering about my first language, Japanese. Actually, I used to live in Japan for 10 years since birth. So, i used to speak Japanese fluently but when I came to the Philippines (I've been here for 12 years now due to my parents' work), my fluency in Japanese slowly became rusty and learned to speak English fluently unlike before (since Philippine schools use English as medium of instruction.). I would also like to share that my english grammar, I think, is not that perfect yet. Don't know. What do you think? Haha.

Anyway, my question is In what way I can regain or refresh my fluency in Japanese? I am still able to understand Japanese (in terms of listening like watching anime, etc.) but when it comes to speaking, it takes some time to construct single sentence like I'm a beginner. I also forgot some of the Kanji I used to know way back Grade School. Thanks! :D

Yasna

Re: Refreshing my First Language

Postby Yasna » 2015-09-17, 14:31

abcdcubed wrote:Anyway, my question is In what way I can regain or refresh my fluency in Japanese? I am still able to understand Japanese (in terms of listening like watching anime, etc.) but when it comes to speaking, it takes some time to construct single sentence like I'm a beginner. I also forgot some of the Kanji I used to know way back Grade School. Thanks! :D

You could try reading online material like news sites and blogs every day for 20 minutes or so with the help of a pop-up dictionary like rikaikun. That should fill in some vocabulary and kanji gaps. Reading longer formats like novels or non-fiction books would also undoubtedly help, but I don't know how much time and effort you wish to dedicate.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”