Can someone translate this to Romanian for me?

Tabris
Can someone translate this to Romanian for me?

Postby Tabris » 2017-02-09, 17:03

I have a Romanian girlfriend and I really want to surprise her on Dragobete, which she doesn't think I'm aware of, can I get an accurate translation please?

Thank you in advance :)

"To *insert name here*

I have always admired you from afar, but I can't be with you today, but you will always be with me in my heart.

I pray you feel the same.

- A secret admirer"

ioansuhov

Re: Can someone translate this to Romanian for me?

Postby ioansuhov » 2017-02-09, 18:03

Hi!
Here you go, from a native speaker :) :

"Dragă * insert name here *,
Te-am admirat mereu de peste mări și țări și, din păcate, chiar nu pot fi alături de tine cu această ocazie... Inima mea te simte mereu aproape.
Sper ca și tu să simți la fel,
Un admirator secret.".

Few changes: "to" is translated to Romanian with "către", but this is way too formal. A Romanian would always say "Dragă" - "Dear", even if he/she intends to write an anonymous message or not.

"from afar" is translated by "de departe". Again, literal translation might tend to suggest a stalker way of perceiving / a formal context, so it is highly not recommended. So, I suggest you a very common idiomatic expression with the same meaning "de peste mări și țări" which means "from many sees and countries afar" (literal translation, I know that sounds weird in English) that simply means "from a distance".
"you will always be with me in my heart." is translated literally "Vei fi mereu în inima mea". This is used in Romanian to express feelings over a dead person - NOT recommended. "Inima mea te simte mereu aproape'' is better, which means ''My heart is always close to yours'' and the meaning is similar.

ioansuhov

Re: Can someone translate this to Romanian for me?

Postby ioansuhov » 2017-02-09, 18:08

Pay attention to the fact that Valentine's Day is equally popular in Romania (I know, we do celebrate Love twice).
And also, on the 1st of March, we have Mărțișor, which is also very important : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%83r%C8%9Bi%C8%99or
Also, on the 8th of March, we celebrate "International Women's Day", occasion on which should also send a message.
Sorry if you already know this information.
Cheers!

Return to “Romanian (Română)”