Romanian = Hardest Latin language

joancarles
Re: Romanian = Hardest Latin language

Postby joancarles » 2013-10-07, 19:43

mōdgethanc wrote:This "Which Romance language has the biggest dick??" contest is growing tiresome. Why do you care which Romance language is closest to Latin or hardest for foreigners? Why can't we just like them for what they are instead of comparing them to each other? That just takes all the fun out of languages.

So true!! The fact that a language is more complex makes its speakers smarter, wiser, dumber, taller, happier, better, worst...?

Plus, comparing Romanian to Spanish just because Spanish is known to more people is not really fair. The same happens with these "most difficult language of the world" rankings where only the popular languages are compared. It's like inviting the athletes of just the G20 countries to the Olympic games.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-10-07, 19:49

joancarles wrote:The same happens with these "most difficult language of the world" rankings where only the popular languages are compared. It's like inviting the athletes of just the G20 countries to the Olympic games.

So what's the linguistic equivalent of the Jamaican national bobsleigh team?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

joancarles

Postby joancarles » 2013-10-07, 20:01

linguoboy wrote:So what's the linguistic equivalent of the Jamaican national bobsleigh team?

Hmmm...maybe Taushiro ?

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-10-07, 21:08

Cornerstone wrote:Let me ask you a simple question, please. If Romanian has the hardest grammar amongst Romance langauges, does it make it better or worse? What are you actually trying to prove?

No, it's just a topic.
If it's harder than it only means that it's harder, and that's it.
It's just a simple topic on difficulty, not trying to prove anything else.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-10-07, 21:11

Levente wrote:
Cornerstone wrote:Let me ask you a simple question, please. If Romanian has the hardest grammar amongst Romance langauges, does it make it better or worse? What are you actually trying to prove?

No, it's just a topic.
If it's harder than it only means that it's harder, and that's it.

But why even ask? Why not ask which language is taller or more green?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 3:45

mōdgethanc wrote:Romanian is conservative in the same way that Middle English is. I find it difficult to say a language is close to its parent when half its lexicon has been replaced with that of another family.

Are you kidding??Before XIX-century romanian lexis used to have around 75% latin heritage they needed to modernise the language and they realised that they are different from the neighbours and that's it...do you want a proof then check out Neacsu's letter from 1521 from 190 of words 175 are of latin origin excluding repetitons!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-10-08, 11:41

How can you say that it's conservative when more than 10% of the vocab is Slavic.

And even Latin words have changed a lot,
for example a big part of the masculine/neutre nouns have lost the vowel endings.

And also the subjunctive is very different both in the way it looks and the way it's used.

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 12:22

Levente wrote:How can you say that it's conservative when more than 10% of the vocab is Slavic.

And even Latin words have changed a lot,
for example a big part of the masculine/neutre nouns have lost the vowel endings.

And also the subjunctive is very different both in the way it looks and the way it's used.

It is NOT an obligation to use subjuctive aslong as the infinitive in romanian was NOT lost but it is used more in Moldova and Muntenia vreau a scrie vreau scriere are used dialectal.and no i dont think ou get it these words were really INHERITED in romanian in the period of 106-271 but latinity continued until 610's but the latinity continues even now in other Romance languages because latin is the cult language don't you realise that most of the words were actually reintroduced in the period of late latin Medieval Latin contemporary latin but our language remained archaic even rhaeto-romasch is conservative but it's words changed even mora than Romanian just compare Latin.incipere ro.înepe ret.enschaiver.romanian has Slavic vocabulary ?oh yes and other Romance languages has Germanic and Arabic vocabulary like tasse/tazza cup Guerre/guerra war buscar to find liste/listo ready and so on even if they have substrata and abstrata they still remain romance!and yes romanian is conservative due it's arhaic vocabulary from isolato. And so on!romanian has lost the final vowel but it is kept in Aromanian asking with the infinitive that it seems to me I are ere ere ire but they keep ignorin these things and they put the infinitive form as ved instead of vedeari ...
Last edited by Zarcu Mihai on 2013-10-08, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.
Ego Civis Macedono-Romanicvs Svm!

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-10-08, 12:37

linguoboy wrote: Why not ask which language is taller or more green?

More green? Why not "greener"?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-08, 12:37

Well you have compared Romanian to Spanish and come to the conclusion that since Romanian is harder that Spanish, then it's the hardest of the Romance languages. Wtf? :)

I'm now going to show you that Ladin is actually the hardest of the Romance languages.

Amongst the other things Ladin has:

- more than 40 ways to form plurals

- 26 subject pronouns (i.e: I, you, he etc etc). Divided in tonic, non-tonic proclitic and non-tonic enclitic.

- 24 direct ojbect pronouns, divided in tonic and non-tonic.

- 28 indirect object pronouns, same as above.

- 4 conjugations, but some of them are divided in 2 subgroups, so in practice they become 6. Indeed we have Ia, Ib, II, III, IVa, IVb. The problem is that the verbs of Ia/Ib and IVa/IVb, have the same endings in the infinitive, so you can't really know to which conjugations they belong.

- all verbs have a reversed enclitic form; (he goes) al va---> val , (they bring) eles porta ---> pòrteles, (he stays) al sta---> stal . And you don't get to choose either one, there are precise rules as to when use one or the other.

- verbs are quite irregular.
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2013-10-08, 18:38, edited 4 times in total.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2013-10-08, 12:40

I really love the Ladin language. I have to study it!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-10-08, 12:46

Massimiliano B wrote:I really love the Ladin language. I have to study it!

:)

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 12:53

Massimiliano B wrote:I really love the Ladin language. I have to study it!

Do you like rhaeto-Romansh ?:)

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 12:57

IpseDixit wrote:Well you have compared Romanian to Spanish and come to the conclusion that since Romanian is harder that Spanish, then it's the hardest of the Romance languages. Wtf? :)

I'm now going to show you that Ladin is actually the hardest of the Romance languages.

Amongst the other things Ladin has:

- more than 40 ways to form plurals

- 26 subject pronouns (i.e: I, you, he etc etc). Divided in tonic, non-tonic proclitic and non-tonic enclitic.

- 24 direct ojbect pronouns, divided in tonic and non-tonic.

- 28 indirect object pronouns, same as above.

- 4 conjugations, but some of them are divided in 2 subgroups, so in practice they become 6. Indeed we have Ia, Ib, II, III, IVa, IVb. The problem is that the verbs of Ia/Ib and IVa/IVb, have the same endings, so you can't really know to which conjugations they belong.

- all verbs have a reversed enclitic form; (he goes) al va---> val , (they bring) eles porta ---> pòrteles, (he stays) al sta---> stal . And you don't get to choose either one, there are precise rules as to when use one or the other.

- verbs are quite irregular.

Latin is not a Romance language but italic yet romance languages are descending from latin.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2013-10-08, 13:37

Zarcu Mihai wrote:Latin is not a Romance language but italic yet romance languages are descending from latin.

Ladin is not Latin.

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limba_ladin%C4%83
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 14:05

Psi-Lord wrote:
Zarcu Mihai wrote:Latin is not a Romance language but italic yet romance languages are descending from latin.

Ladin is not Latin.

Lol i tough she/he said latin sorry xD

Zarcu Mihai

Postby Zarcu Mihai » 2013-10-08, 14:08

Psi-Lord wrote:

Ladin is not Latin.

Yet there is a mistake ladin does NOT descends from gallo-liberian but it is an isolate or mostly Common gallo-romance related to french occitan or north italian dialects

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-10-08, 14:21

Zarcu Mihai wrote:Yet there is a mistake ladin does NOT descends from gallo-liberian but it is an isolate or mostly Common gallo-romance related to french occitan or north italian dialects

And you point is that ...

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-10-08, 14:31

How can you say that it's conservative when more than 10% of the vocab is Slavic.
Just 10%? Looking at samples of it, I'd think it were more like 30-40%.

There's no point arguing with someone who is emotionally attached to an issue. He's already made up his mind and is refusing to hear evidence to the contrary; this is called confirmation bias.
linguoboy wrote:So what's the linguistic equivalent of the Jamaican national bobsleigh team?
Jamaican Creole, duh.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-10-08, 14:47

mōdgethanc wrote:Just 10%? Looking at samples of it, I'd think it were more like 30-40%.
To be more exact 14,17%. Or at least that's the official percentage. :)

Return to “Romanian (Română)”