Help with Romanian pronunciation

Bubulus
Help with Romanian pronunciation

Postby Bubulus » 2012-09-08, 22:10

I've started to study a little Romanian, but as usual, my materials are very inadequate at teaching morphophonology. I don't quite understand how the various conjugations of a verb affect where stress goes.

These are my guesses on how to pronounce the inflections of one example verb: a aduna. I'm guessing them by comparing the inflections with Latin/Spanish/French, but obviously you can't trust that. Can somebody tell me if I've made any mistakes? (Especially in the bolded eu/noi/voi conjugations.)

Present: adun [aˈdun] aduni [aˈduni] adună [aˈdunə] adunăm [aduˈnəm] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adună [aˈdunə]

Imperfect: adunam [aduˈnam] adunai [aduˈnaj] aduna [aduˈna] adunam [aduˈnam] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adunau [aduˈnaw]

Simple perfect: adunai [aduˈnaj] adunaşi [aduˈnaʃʲ] adună [aduˈnə] adunarăm [adunaˈrəm] adunarăţi [adunaˈrətsʲ] adunară [aduˈnarə]

Pluperfect: adunasem [aduˈnasem] adunaseşi [aduˈnaseʃʲ] adunase [adu"nase] adunaserăm [adunaseˈrəm] adunaseraţi [adunaseˈratsʲ] adunaseră [adu"naser@]

Subjunctive present: adun [aˈdun] aduni [aˈdunʲ] adune [aˈdune] adunăm [aduˈnəm] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adune [aˈdune]

Imperative: adună [aˈdunə] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ]

Gerund: adunând [aduˈnɨnd]

Participle: adunat [aduˈnat]

AdiJapan

Re: Help with Romanian pronunciation

Postby AdiJapan » 2012-09-10, 8:36

Serafín wrote:Present: adun [aˈdun] aduni [aˈduni] adună [aˈdunə] adunăm [aduˈnəm] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adună [aˈdunə]

Imperfect: adunam [aduˈnam] adunai [aduˈnaj] aduna [aduˈna] adunam [aduˈnam] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adunau [aduˈnaw]

Simple perfect: adunai [aduˈnaj] adunaşi [aduˈnaʃʲ] adună [aduˈnə] adunarăm [adunaˈrəm] adunarăţi [adunaˈrətsʲ] adunară [aduˈnarə]

Pluperfect: adunasem [aduˈnasem] adunaseşi [aduˈnaseʃʲ] adunase [adu"nase] adunaserăm [adunaseˈrəm] adunaseraţi [adunaseˈratsʲ] adunaseră [adu"naser@]

Subjunctive present: adun [aˈdun] aduni [aˈdunʲ] adune [aˈdune] adunăm [aduˈnəm] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ] adune [aˈdune]

Imperative: adună [aˈdunə] adunaţi [aduˈnatsʲ]

Gerund: adunând [aduˈnɨnd]

Participle: adunat [aduˈnat]

Everything is right, except:

- present: tu aduni is pronounced [aˈdunʲ], not [aˈduni];

- simple perfect: noi adunarăm is stressed [aduˈnarəm] and voi adunarăți is stressed [aduˈnarətsʲ];

- pluperfect: noi adunaserăm is stressed [aduˈnaserəm], voi adunaserăți is spelled like this and pronounced [aduˈnaserətsʲ], and ei adunaseră is pronounced [aduˈnaserə];

You can find such information on DEXonline. Look up the verb, for instance aduna, then click ▷ conjugări. The conjugation table will be displayed (only the important forms, not all), which looks like this. The bolded vowels show the stress position.
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-09-12, 18:48

Thanks!
(only the important forms, not all)
...Even though they still assume I have some knowledge I don't. :(

AdiJapan

Postby AdiJapan » 2012-09-17, 14:17

Serafín wrote:Even though they still assume I have some knowledge I don't. :(

At a first glance it looks like their conjugation table contains all the forms you need to recover the full paradigm (assuming you know how). Is anything missing? If so, please let me know and I will contact the people who maintain the site.
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

Radu

Postby Radu » 2012-10-24, 11:37

The romanian language is very dificulty!

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-10-25, 4:40

AdiJapan wrote:
Serafín wrote:Even though they still assume I have some knowledge I don't. :(

At a first glance it looks like their conjugation table contains all the forms you need to recover the full paradigm (assuming you know how). Is anything missing? If so, please let me know and I will contact the people who maintain the site.
I think it's fine. It'd be awesome if they gave the whole paradigm, but it's really good as it is.
Radu wrote:The romanian language is very dificulty!
You tell me a language that's easy.

Return to “Romanian (Română)”