Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

JamieInamoto
Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby JamieInamoto » 2012-08-06, 15:40

Hi there,

I originally posted this in the Translations section but thought I might get more luck here. I've also just posted it in the Hungarian section, just in case you see it floating about.

I have a very loaded question that I would love if someone could answer. Basically, I would like to marry my Romanian girlfriend but before I ask her, I would like to ask her parents for their blessing. Unfortunatly her father is Romanian and her mother is Hungarian (they understand both languages). I've been thinking long and hard, and I think what I'd like to do is switch between languages as I ask.

I've written a short paragraph in English that I'd like to say and I've used my novice skills, my dictionaries and translator software to come up with a translation. If anyone who can speak either or both languages, I'd love some input.

ENGLISH PARAGRAPH:

"As you know, I love your daughter very much. She is the most beautiful, intelligent and loving woman a man could ever ask for. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else but her. I would like to ask her to marry me and I'm here today to ask you for your blessing.

Please may I ask that you keep this a secret as I'd love to suprise her."

MY IMPERFECT TRANSLATIONS:

-Sofie is very beautiful, intelligent and caring.
Sofie este foarte frumos, inteligent şi grijuliu. (Romanian)

-I love her
Szeretem őt (Hungarian)

-I can't imagine my life without her
Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa mea fără ca ea (Romanian)

-I would like to ask for her hand in marriage
Szeretném kérni a kezét a házasság (Hungarian)

-I am here today to ask your blessing
Sunt aici astăzi pentru a cere binecuvântarea ta (Romanian)

-Please, may I ask you to keep this secret, I would like to surprise her.
Kérjük, ha szabad kérdeznem, hogy megtartsa ezt a titkot, ahogy szeretném őt meglepetés. (Hungarian)

MY FULL PARAGRAPH SO FAR:

"Sofie este foarte frumos, inteligent şi grijuliu. Szeretem őt. Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa mea fără ca ea. Szeretném kérni a kezét a házasság. Sunt aici astăzi pentru a cere binecuvântarea ta.

Kérjük, ha szabad kérdeznem, hogy megtartsa ezt a titkot, ahogy szeretném őt meglepetés."

For anyone interested in helping, my translation seems quite stuttered, so I'd love it to flow more. I also don't know for sure how well they will understand it so a better translation of sections or the whole thing might help. Also, as I don't know the culture well, I don't know if I'm using the correct words/terms to convey what I'm thinking. Basically any help would be marvolous

Thanks
Jamie

Solfrid Cristin

Re: Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby Solfrid Cristin » 2012-08-20, 16:25

What a wonderful idea! I am afraid I cannot speak either language, so I cannot help you, but I am sure there are lots of people here who know at least one of the languages.

zgooly

Re: Propose to my Romanian/Hungarian GFs Parents

Postby zgooly » 2012-10-21, 20:03

JamieInamoto wrote:MY IMPERFECT TRANSLATIONS:

-Sofie is very beautiful, intelligent and caring.
Sofie este foarte frumos, inteligent şi grijuliu. (Romanian)

-I love her
Szeretem őt (Hungarian)

-I can't imagine my life without her
Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa mea fără ca ea (Romanian)

-I would like to ask for her hand in marriage
Szeretném kérni a kezét a házasság (Hungarian)

-I am here today to ask your blessing
Sunt aici astăzi pentru a cere binecuvântarea ta (Romanian)

Hello Jamie,

Probably you no longer need that translation after so many months after your initial post. But here are the Romanian corrections.

Sofie is very beautiful, intelligent and caring. --> Sofie este foarte frumoasă, inteligentă și grijulie.
- all the adjectives need to be written with the feminine form ; in your phrase they were masculine.
- not sure whether you know how to spell the "ă" letters

I can't imagine my life without her. --> Nu îmi pot imagina viaţa fără ea .
- removed the word "cu"
- "mea" sounds redundant

I would like to ask for her hand in marriage --> Aș dori să îi cer mâna.
OR : Aș dori să mă căsătoresc cu ea.

I am here today to ask your blessing. --> Sunt aici astăzi pentru a vă cere binecuvântarea.
- in Romanian we have different words for "you" : tu (singular "you") , voi (plural "you"), dumneavoastră (extremely polite and formal "you") , dumneata (a polite but less formal "you" , singular).
- using "ta" or "tu" is wrong in this context. It is too informal, too direct (some people may even find it rude).
- so here is a little trick : "vă" is at the same time the dative form of "dumneavoastră" (polite and extremely formal) and of "voi" (the plural of "you"). So the phrase will sound polite and simple : literally it means "i am here from asking the blessing from you" (thus avoiding to use the exagerately formal 'dumneavoastră' ) .

Return to “Romanian (Română)”