Romanian

Ron720
Romanian

Postby Ron720 » 2004-08-23, 12:04

Hello everyone
I'm new to the forum. I dont know any other language other than English. I just wanted some idea. How hard is it for a English speaker to learn Romanian?. It seems here where I live everone tells me to learn Spanish. I am also told that Finnish is very hard. I would like to know sence Spanish is a Latin based language. And most of Romanian is Latin would the learning curve be about the same.? Or is Romanian alot harder.
The reason why I am interested in learing Romanian. Is becuase I have friends that live there. Also some day I would like to go there and see the Country.
I cant seem to find many books or computer software for learning Romanian.
Other languages that interest me are German and Russian. Becasue my family comes from those countrys.
Thanks for any advice anyone might have about learning Romanian. I hope I picked a good language to learn. I do listen to some live Romanian radio over the internet. I love the sound of it. Even thou I cant understand a word of it :lol: (other than da wich I know is yes).

duko

Postby duko » 2004-08-23, 13:46

Hello and Welcome!

It's not that hard to learn to understand it, it's a little bit harder to learn to speak it correctly. Romanian has genders, cases, articles and other goodies :)
Don't worry, I had an Englishman work colleague who learned it (quite well, actually), so it's not at all impossible.

You might want to check out the newly founded Unilangs Romanian discussion group http://www.unilang.org/main/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3415
and the resources put together by our Unilang colleagues at http://www.unilang.org/main/bylanguage.php?lng=ro&showlinks=yes

spor!
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ron720

Postby Ron720 » 2004-08-23, 23:07

Thank you duko for the links.

duko

Postby duko » 2004-08-24, 9:03

Cu plăcere!
You're welcome!
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Geist

Postby Geist » 2004-08-26, 2:07

I think that Romanian is usually considered harder than Spanish, at least for native English speakers, because of the grammar, and, to a degree, because of the pronounciation (both of which are more complicated in Romanian). It is a beautiful language, though, and significantly different from the other Romance languages. Good luck!
Das ganze Meer verändert sich, wenn ein Stein hineingeworfen wird.
- Blaise Pascal

English, Deutsch, Español

Learning: Polski, Русский

eugen

Postby eugen » 2005-03-04, 21:57

You are not english as I am not chinese;you are making more mistakes in writing than me, who I am romanian.What is hapening!???

JackFrost

Re: Romanian

Postby JackFrost » 2005-03-05, 0:05

Romanian is considered the hardest and most complex Romance language because it stills holds the old cases found in Latin whereas they almost all disappeared in other Romance languages. Since Romania is close to Slavic-speaking countries, the language also has hints of Slavic words and expressions.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2005-03-05, 10:08

Having learned some Romanian, I'd say that Romanian is much more difficult than Italian. What stroke me was highly irregular Romanian conjugation. I think it can be even compared to West Slavic conjugations. Romanian is a real Romance-Slavic hybrid. Slavic languages use cases to indicate some syntactical relations. Romance languages other than Romanian use prepositions in the same function. Romanian uses both cases and prepositions and you have to learn when you should use cases and when you should use prepositions. Besides Romance and Slavic elements, Romanian also has many Balkanic features. In my opinion Romanian is not easy to learn, but it is extraordinarily interesting. I really enjoy learning it.
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-03-05, 12:15

Hello,

I'm a native Romanian speaker, and I find Romanian hard to explain to foreigners. This is because there are a lot of rules (4 classes of verbs, 3 genders for nouns, 5 cases and so forth). So, definitely, Romanian requires some effort in regards to grammar.
As for vocabulary, if you know either a slavic language or a romance one, you would usually understand lots of words. For instance: time in Romanian is either "vreme"(slavic) or "timp"(romance).
Romanian is very interesting because its etymologies are so mixed. An example, there are four words for shepherd in Romanian:
"cioban" << turk. "tçoban"
"pacurar" << lat. "peccorarius"
"baci" << hun. "bacs"
There are lots of other example, but usually Romanian could be described as a Romance language with Slavic feelings. Romanian is the only Romance language that did not retain "amare" for the verb "to love". Romanian for love is "iubire", and the verb is "a iubi", which are clearly slavic.
There is also one thing I found westerners have trouble with - the sound â, which is pronounced like german ü, but in the back of the throat. The sound is found in Slavic and Turkic languages, but not in Germanic or other Romance languages, so it can cause some trouble.[/list]

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-03-06, 12:22

bogororo wrote:Romanian is the only Romance language that did not retain "amare" for the verb "to love". Romanian for love is "iubire", and the verb is "a iubi", which are clearly slavic.

În primul rând, bine ai venit, bogoro! :) Este draguţ de avut alt român pe aici. Ai şi "dragoste" pentru "love", nu-i aşa? Cred că "dragoste" vine de la limba slavă veche.

@Fenek
Fenek wrote:Having learned some Romanian, I'd say that Romanian is much more difficult than Italian. What stroke [What struck..] me was [the]highly irregular Romanian conjugation. ...

:wink:
@eugen Bine ai venit şi ţie! :) Eşti de Timişoară. Ştiu că revoluţia română de 1989 a avut loc în acest oraş. De fapt, presupun că a avut loc prin tot România, dar a inceput acolo, nu-i aşa?

Vă rog, mi-corectaţi mesajele!

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2005-03-06, 13:11

Fenek wrote:Romanian uses both cases and prepositions and you have to learn when you should use cases and when you should use prepositions.

This sounds awfully similar to Faroese, so it probably should be too hard. Of course, the vocabulary is totally different.

bogororo wrote:There is also one thing I found westerners have trouble with - the sound â, which is pronounced like german ü, but in the back of the throat. The sound is found in Slavic and Turkic languages, but not in Germanic or other Romance languages, so it can cause some trouble.

My Russian book explains the sound ы (similar to â/î) as English "bloody". Maybe it isn't a clear [1] but it's very close.

Anyway, I also find Romanian totally cool.

As I've read there are 4 major dialects of Romanian. Are there huge differences between them?
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Postby Guest » 2005-03-09, 20:53

There are no big differences between Romanian "dialects". I don't think the word "dialect" is correct in this case. It is more a difference in how the same words sounds... Of course, there are some regional words, but they are very few and not very used in modern language. So if someone wants to learn Romanian, it will be no problems with dialects.

Postby Guest » 2005-03-10, 11:01

I beg to differ!

There are huge differences between Romanian dialects; in fact, they are not even mutually understandable! The thing that me and the above Guest poster are not talking about the same "dialects".
There are four main Romanian dialects, or rather idiolects:
1. Daco-Romanian
2. Aromanian or Macedo-Romanian
3. Megleno-Romanian
4. Istro-Romanian

1. Daco-Romanian is standard Romanian. It is spoken in Romania, the Republic of Moldova, the Bukovina region in Ukraine, the Timok Valley and in Vojvodina in Serbia and, of course in all the great cities of the Western World, where there are usually sizeable Romanian communities. Daco-Romanian has some regional variations (graiuri), which can be understood by all speakers of Romanian, but which have different accents and slightly different vocabularies:
a. Graiul muntenesc, spoken in Muntenia(Wallachia). It is the standard way of pronounciation and it is considered to have the standard vocabulary. Some peculiarities have emerged, though, throught the years. For instance, when speaking fast, the preposition pe(on) is pronounced pă.
b. Graiul moldovenesc, spoken in Moldavia and the Republic of Moldova. In Moldova, p is pronounced as k – piatră(stone, rock) becomes kiatră, č becomes ş – „ce faci?”(how`re you doing?) is pronounced „şe faşi”, final ă becomes î – „mămică!” (mother!) becomes „mămicî”. There are also some peculiar regionalisms, especially, but not only, of slavic origin: curechi for varză (cabbage), păpuşoi for porumb(corn), barabulă for cartof(potato);
c. Graiul ardelean, spoken in Ardeal. It also has a different pronounciation, mostly accents vary. Also, there are many loan-words of Hungarian, German or Slavic origin, such as tău for lac (lake), cucuruz for porumb(corn) etc.
d. Graiul bănăţean, spoken in Banat and Vojvodina. The most blatant peculiarity is the fact that t becomes č: frate is pronounced frace, minte is pronounced mince, frunte is pronounced frunce. Also, the oa diphtong is often contracted to the o sound: oală is pronounced olă; also there are peculiar verbal forms for the perfect compus time – „I’ve seen” is pronounce „Eu om văzut”, instead of „Eu am văzut”; there are also some regionalisms, but not so many as in other regions.
e. Graiul oltenesc, spoken in Oltenia (Below the Carpathians, left from the Argeş river). Pronounciation is the same as in Muntenia, but the perfect simplu time is used instead of perfect compus. These times have practically the same semantic value, Oltenia being the only place where perfectul simplu is used. I.e. instead of “Noi am fost la restaurant” – “Noi fuserăm la restaurant”. This time is genuinely peculiar for all other Romanian speakers who only learn about it in school.
It should be understood that these regional variations are within a continuum and are divided like this for the sake of making distinctions. The linguistic map of Romania is much more complex and the fault lines are hard to identify. Also, the grai`s have themselves variations, so this is not a definitive classification.

2. Aromanian, spoken in Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Serbia. It is hardly understandable by Romanians, because there are lots of differences. For instance, here is a poem in Aromanian, about which I can only guess what it means:

Floare galbinioara
dimand-a tutuloru
dimand-a feateloru
se vina se-ni me alumba
dumineca dimineata
si luni de catre seara
cu roaua se-ni-mi aduna
s-pre avra se-ni-mi poarta
pre iapa nifetata,
pre feata nemartata,
pre gione neinsuratu
s-pre cale necalcata.

3. Megleno-romanian, spoken in the Meglen Mountains area in Bulgaria. It is considered the closest dialect to Daco-Romanian. While Aromanian and Istro-Romanian are sometimes considered independent languages, Megleno-Romanian is almost always considered a dialect or Romanian.

4. Istro-Romanian, spoken by 1000 to 5000 speakers in the Istrian Peninsula, in Croatia. Actually its speakers live only in two villages Žejane (Jeiăn) and Šušnevica (Şiuşnieviţa). This idiom is most likely to be considered an independent language, although there are many clues that point to a common Romanian origin. Rhotacism (the transformation of intervocalic n in r) is a particular mark of this language: făină (flour) becomes farină in IR, albină is albire etc. Also, the vocabulary of Istro-Romanian is very different from Daco-Romanian, with many Italian, German and Croatian influences. For instance, IR has the verb “a fruştuca”, which is clearly the equivalent for the german frühstucken; the IR word for forest is not pădure or codru, but boşche (from Italian bosco) and bell is zvon in IR, and not clopot like in Daco-Romanian.

There are many hypotheses about the origins of these idioms, but this is another discussion. Many people in Romania, wrongly mistake the graiuri for dialects, which clearly they are not.

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-03-10, 11:19

The post above was done by me

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2005-03-10, 15:36

Anonymous wrote:4. Istro-Romanian, spoken by 1000 to 5000 speakers in the Istrian Peninsula, in Croatia.

I'm afraid there are even less than 1000 speakers. In the latest Census (2001) only 137 people from Istria and Primorje declared that their mother tongue is Romanian and 1 man declared that his mother tongue is Vlach. Unfortunately, that very interesting language is dying. Nonetheless, you can find mp3s by an Istro-Romanian band Zejanski Zvončari in the Internet.
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-03-10, 15:40

I know, the numbers seem to be a little out-dated. I am going to do an article in this month's Babel Babble on istro-romanian. I really want to go to Zejane and actually hear this language.

Ştiu, cifrele sunt un pic cam vechi. Voi scrie un articol în ediţia de luna aceasta a Babel Babble despre istro-română. Vreau chiar să merg în Jeiăn şi să aud pe viu această limbă.

Pips

Postby Pips » 2005-03-10, 18:03

parousia wrote:În primul rând, bine ai venit, bogoro! :) Este draguţ de avut alt român pe aici. Ai şi "dragoste" pentru "love", nu-i aşa? Cred că "dragoste" vine de la limba slavă veche.

While we're on this topic can someone tell me what "Dragostea din tei" means? Catchy song, but I hate not knowing what they're singing!

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-03-10, 18:12

OMG, I've been to many places all over Europe this summer and everyone asked me about the translations for "Dragostea din tei". It's not that interesting after you have translated it. But anyway, here it goes.

Alo, salut, sunt eu, un haiduc = Hello, it's me, a thief
Si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea. = And please, my love, receive the happiness

Alo, alo, sunt eu, Picasso = Hello, Hello, it's me, Picasso
Ti-am dat beep si sunt voinic = I beeped* you and I'm a strong guy
Dar sa stii, nu-ti cer nimic. = But you should know I don't demand anything from you

Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei = You want to go but you don't, you don't take me
Nu ma, nu ma iei, numa, nu ma, nu ma iei = You don't, you don't take me
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei = Your face and the love under the lime tree
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai. = Remind me of your eyes

Te sun sa-ti spun ce simt acum = I'm calling you to tell you what I feel now
Alo, iubirea mea sunt eu, fericirea. = Hello, my love, it's me, happiness.

Alo, alo, sunt iarasi eu, Picasso = Hello, Hello, it's me again, Picasso
Ti-am dat beep si sunt voinic = I beeped you and I'm a strong guy
Dar sa stii, nu-ti cer nimic.= But you should know I don't demand anything

*to beep (a bipui) is related in Romanian to a common thing done with cellphones. When someone does not want to pay for a call, they make a short call to the other person, allowing the phone to ring once and then close. The other person will supposedly return the call. It is also a very teen-agerish thing to do between lovers.

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2005-03-10, 18:15

Deviens qui tu es !
Nietzsche "Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra"

parousia

Postby parousia » 2005-03-12, 10:47

Anonymous wrote:I beg to differ!

There are huge differences between Romanian dialects....

Hmmm. M-am uitat o emisiune pe TVR care se a chemat "Îndelenicire". Oricum, acestă emisiune particulară a fost despre o persoane care făcea tapiţerie (acestă persoane se cheamă upholsterer în engleză - nu ştiu ce se cheamă pe româneşte). Şi a spus ştofă, dar se poate spune stofă la fel de bine după dicţionarul meu. Cred că el locuia la Bucureşti. Ştii dacă acest fel de substituţie este dialectal? [Hmmm. I saw a shown on TVR called "Îndelenicire". Anyway, this particular show was about a person who did upholstery (this person is called upholsterer in English. I don't know what he is called in Romanian). And he said ştofă, but according to my dictionary, you can also say stofă. I believe he lived in Bucurest. Do you know if this kind of substitution is dialectal?]

Return to “Romanian (Română)”