Verb stress

0stsee
Verb stress

Postby 0stsee » 2008-09-03, 11:59

Salut!

Are the infinitives in Romanian always stressed on the last syllable?

like a citi, a tacea, a face, a cînta, a coborî, a hotärî?

Multsumesc!
Ini tandatanganku.

andrei

Re: Verb stress

Postby andrei » 2008-09-03, 15:04

No. A face is stressed on the first syllable.
Same for a duce, a spune, a ţine etc.
Last edited by andrei on 2008-09-04, 6:08, edited 2 times in total.

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2008-09-03, 18:59

0stsee wrote:Are the infinitives in Romanian always stressed on the last syllable?

like a citi, a tăcea, a face, a cânta, a coborî, a se hotărî?

Mulțumesc!

Salut, Ostsee, I just gave you some minor corrections above (mostly spelling and diacritics); don't worry too much about them. What andrei said is correct, and I'm going to attempt to make a rule by saying that if the verb ends in the vowel 'e', then the second to last syllable is stressed, though at the moment, I cannot think of any verbs that end in 'e' and are more than two syllables. Otherwise, if they end in 'a' (a fura, a pupa), 'ea' (a tăcea), 'i' (a socoti, a cotcodăci), or 'î' (a omorî, a urî), they are always stressed on the last syllable.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

andrei

Postby andrei » 2008-09-04, 6:32

It seems to be a valid rule. I can't think of any verb that ends in other vowel than e having the first syllable stressed. You can use the similarity to know what syllable is stressed:
a ţine / a menţine / a conţine
a pune / a presupune
a duce / a aduce / a reduce / a produce / a traduce / a conduce
etc.
I think it can be a rule to stress the last but one syllable in case of verbs ending in e:
a ascunde

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2008-09-06, 16:00

Multsumesc foarte mult!! :)
Ini tandatanganku.

AdiJapan

Postby AdiJapan » 2008-10-08, 10:51

andrei wrote:I think it can be a rule to stress the last but one syllable in case of verbs ending in e:
a ascunde

Yes, Andrei, it's a rule. You can think of it this way: The infinitive endings have their own stress, except for -e. The general rule in Romanian is that when you combine two or more morphemes into a word, the stress will always be on the last stressed morpheme. Since the ending -e is not stressed, the verb root will keep its stress. Now, it so happens that all verbs in this conjugation group have their stress on the last syllable of the root; with the ending attached, they all become paroxytone (stress on the penultimate syllable).
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

Return to “Romanian (Română)”