Questions about Finnish / Kysymyksiä suomen kielestä

Moderator:Naava

Virankannos
Re: Questions about Finnish / Kysymyksiä suomen kielestä

Postby Virankannos » 2015-05-05, 9:48

Qing wrote:Hi, can someone explain what means "" ei kurjuutta kummempaa". Thank you!

Varislintu's translation is the literal one, but I've heard this phrase used as a humorous answer to questions like "Mitä kuuluu?" ("How are you?").

KiR

Postby KiR » 2015-07-16, 14:37

Hi there folks,
a finnish guy that I worked with for some time a few years ago liked to recall and explain anecdotes about the finnish language at work; I am native german, so we could entertain ourselves fairly well jabbering about how weird these languages are. Anyway he liked to recall a finnish saying, that by his own account translates like "Shit always rolls downhill." referring to the annoying mechanisms of hierachies passing on shitty tasks to subordinates of course. I think that its also a fairly common metaphor in the english speaking world. So, I cant find any information on this, but I would really like to hear its Finnish version. :D

Cheers and kiitos!

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-04, 4:39

Virankannos wrote:
Qing wrote:Hi, can someone explain what means "" ei kurjuutta kummempaa". Thank you!

Varislintu's translation is the literal one, but I've heard this phrase used as a humorous answer to questions like "Mitä kuuluu?" ("How are you?").

This, or, in a more general sense, it could be said to mean that "things could be worse" without the humour or sarcasm.
KiR wrote:"Shit always rolls downhill."

I think the most common way to say that in Finnish is "paska valuu aina alaspäin", which means "shit always slides/oozes/drips downwards".

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2015-12-17, 12:56

Mikä olisi hyvä suomennos fraasille "to be there for someone" (tarjota emotionaalista tukea tms.)?
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-12-27, 21:43

suruvaippa wrote:Mikä olisi hyvä suomennos fraasille "to be there for someone" (tarjota emotionaalista tukea tms.)?

Joissain yhteyksissä "olla läsnä" voisi toimia hyvin. Tai sitten "olla tukena" tai "tukea".

electroniq

Postby electroniq » 2016-03-28, 17:03

Hi there! I'd like to ask you one question. While I was reading Finnish poetry, I've found this fragment from Eino Leino's poem "Pyhä synnyinmaa":
Sun korpies kuisketta kuulimme lasna,
Sitä unhota emme me harmajahasna.
I speak Finnish a little, opiskelen suomea nyt, käytän sanakirjaja, mutta en löytänyt mitään sanoista "lasna" ja "harmajahasna". How should I translate them into English correctly? Kuinka voin kääntää näitä sanoja englanniksi oikein?

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-03-28, 20:30

electroniq wrote:Hi there! I'd like to ask you one question. While I was reading Finnish poetry, I've found this fragment from Eino Leino's poem "Pyhä synnyinmaa":
I speak Finnish a little, opiskelen suomea nyt, käytän sanakirjaja, mutta en löytänyt mitään sanoista "lasna" ja "harmajahasna". How should I translate them into English correctly? Kuinka voin kääntää näitä sanoja englanniksi oikein?

Hi! 'Lasna' is a poetic version of 'lapsena', i.e. "as a child". 'Harmajahasna' is a poetic version of 'harmaana', i.e. "when grey". Grey as in old, that is. :)

electroniq

Postby electroniq » 2016-03-29, 2:02

Kiitoksia kauhean paljon! Sinä autoit minua :D

maeng

Postby maeng » 2016-05-13, 19:43

Varislintu wrote:
electroniq wrote:Hi there! I'd like to ask you one question. While I was reading Finnish poetry, I've found this fragment from Eino Leino's poem "Pyhä synnyinmaa":

Hi! 'Lasna' is a poetic version of 'lapsena', i.e. "as a child". 'Harmajahasna' is a poetic version of 'harmaana', i.e. "when grey". Grey as in old, that is. :)

A small correction: harmajahasna = harmaahapsena, hapsi 'hair (poetic)'

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-05-15, 17:46

maeng wrote:
Varislintu wrote:

A small correction: harmajahasna = harmaahapsena, hapsi 'hair (poetic)'

Thanks for the correction -- I didn't know that and learned something new! :)

Tm.rzeka

Postby Tm.rzeka » 2017-01-31, 21:22

Moi! Olen puolalainen ja opin suomen kielen viime viikosta. Minä haluan että puhun paremmin ensi ajassa. Aloin oppiminen koska pidän hänen ääni. Ymmärrättekö mitään minun?

Please correct my mistakes and tell me what I need to improve :)

Leopejo

Postby Leopejo » 2017-02-03, 12:13

Tm.rzeka wrote:Moi! Olen puolalainen ja opin suomen kielen viime viikosta. Minä haluan että puhun paremmin ensi ajassa. Aloin oppiminen koska pidän hänen ääni. Ymmärrättekö mitään minun?

Moi! Olen puolalainen ja opiskelen suomen kieltä viime viikosta lähtien. Haluaisin puhua paremmin mitä nopeimmin (ensi ajassa? co miałeś/-aś na myśli?). Aloitin (suomen kielen) opiskelun koska pidän siitä, miten se soi. Ymmärrättekö mitään, siitä mitä kirjoitin? (tai: ymmärrättekö minua ollenkaan?)

Very good for a week of learning (really?!)! Are you sure you haven't been studying a couple of years? A couple of general things:
- the object (kogo? co?) is difficult for beginners in Finnish. It is often in the partitiivi case (suomea, kieltä, minua). Partitiivi is for example often used when you'd use niedokonany in Polish: przeczytam książkę = luen kirjan (akkusatiivi); czytam książkę = luen kirjaa (partitiivi), but this is not a rule. It is also used for such verbs like to love, to hate, to think.
- don't use minä, sinä, me, te as a subject if not required by context (as in, "It was me, not you!"). You have to use hän, he, se, ne though. So: 'haluan', but 'hän haluaa'.

Virankannos

Postby Virankannos » 2017-02-04, 18:53

A couple of improvements:
Leopejo wrote:Moi! Olen puolalainen ja opiskelen olen opiskellut suomen kieltä viime viikosta lähtien. Haluaisin puhua (suomea) paremmin mitä nopeimmin (did you mean 'in the future'? In that case: tulevaisuudessa). Aloitin (suomen kielen) opiskelun koska pidän siitä, miten se soi miltä se kuulostaa/...koska pidän sen soinnista. Ymmärrättekö mitään (siitä), mitä kirjoitin? (tai: ymmärrättekö minua ollenkaan?)
Notes:
  • olen opiskellut is better here, because from what I gather, you began studying last week and it is still ongoing.
  • miltä se kuulostaa translates to "what it sounds like"; sointi means a ring, a sound and it is connected with the verb the verb soida that Leopejo used, but it is too poetic here, I feel. It mostly refers to musical instruments and phones.

Leopejo

Postby Leopejo » 2017-02-05, 11:26

Virankannos wrote:A couple of improvements:
Leopejo wrote:Moi! Olen puolalainen ja opiskelen olen opiskellut suomen kieltä viime viikosta lähtien. Haluaisin puhua (suomea) paremmin mitä nopeimmin (did you mean 'in the future'? In that case: tulevaisuudessa). Aloitin (suomen kielen) opiskelun koska pidän siitä, miten se soi miltä se kuulostaa/...koska pidän sen soinnista. Ymmärrättekö mitään (siitä), mitä kirjoitin? (tai: ymmärrättekö minua ollenkaan?)
Notes:
  • olen opiskellut is better here, because from what I gather, you began studying last week and it is still ongoing.
  • miltä se kuulostaa translates to "what it sounds like"; sointi means a ring, a sound and it is connected with the verb the verb soida that Leopejo used, but it is too poetic here, I feel. It mostly refers to musical instruments and phones.

And to think I am a native speaker!

Or better, I was :oops:
Thanks, Virankannos. I chose soida as I took it as literally the sound of the language, while kuulostaa to me is too banal/generic.

wheesper

Postby wheesper » 2017-04-05, 9:31

Hi, I would like to transate 3 citations from Moomins from finnish to english.
Translation doesnt need to be very accurate. I will appreciate your help.

1. "Maailmassa ei ole mitään mukavampaa kuin viihtyminen, eikä mikään ole helpompaa"
2. "Kummakos on olla rohkea, jollei pelkää"
3. "Huomenna on uusi päivä. Aivan jokaisen oma alusta loppuun. Se on hauska ajatus"

Thank you :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-04-06, 8:34

wheesper wrote:Hi, I would like to transate 3 citations from Moomins from finnish to english.
Translation doesnt need to be very accurate. I will appreciate your help.

1. "Maailmassa ei ole mitään mukavampaa kuin viihtyminen, eikä mikään ole helpompaa"
2. "Kummakos on olla rohkea, jollei pelkää"
3. "Huomenna on uusi päivä. Aivan jokaisen oma alusta loppuun. Se on hauska ajatus"

Thank you :)

1. There's nothing more pleasant in the world than having a good time (/"liking it where you currently are"), and nothing easier either.

2. It's not a great feat to be brave, if you aren't afraid.

3. It's a new day tomorrow. A day that's everone's own, from beginning to end. That's a fun thought.

:)

wheesper

Postby wheesper » 2017-04-10, 9:06

Thank you very much Varislintu !!

Regards :)

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-05-08, 14:35

Hello,

How would you translate the verb katsoa in the following context (from lab instructions)?

Katso kaavakkeesta 10 kokeessa käytettävä sekoitusnopeus.

"From form 10, [?] the mixing speed used in the experiment."

If katsoa simply meant "look at", then I would expect a partial-object case form (sekoitusnopeutta), rather than the total-object form that appears here.

Thanks for any help

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-08, 17:14

Gavril wrote:Hello,

How would you translate the verb katsoa in the following context (from lab instructions)?

Katso kaavakkeesta 10 kokeessa käytettävä sekoitusnopeus.

"From form 10, [?] the mixing speed used in the experiment."

If katsoa simply meant "look at", then I would expect a partial-object case form (sekoitusnopeutta), rather than the total-object form that appears here.

Thanks for any help

It's because it's referring to a specific speed, i.e. the mixing speed used in the test. And 'katso' here essentially means 'look up'. You are not "looking at" something, you are "looking up" a specific speed. :)

Gavril

Postby Gavril » 2017-05-09, 15:59

Hi Varislintu,

Thanks for answering.

The relevant fact seems to be that katsoa doesn't mean "look at" in this context, but "look up, retrieve (information)" -- and since that action has a defined end-point, the verb can take a total object (in this case, sekoitusnopeus).

(As an aside, I don't understand how the specificity of the object noun is relevant here -- e.g. it seems quite possible to say Katso sekoitusnopeutta, where the object is equally specific, but the action is different (one is just *looking* at the information on the page, rather than noting it down, mentally or otherwise), and therefore the case of the object is different.)

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”