Need help with a translation for my father

Moderator:Naava

thirdgenfin
Need help with a translation for my father

Postby thirdgenfin » 2016-09-23, 18:33

Hello, I am looking for a translation from English to Finnish. I'm a little wary of Google translate... Can anyone help me translate "for Dad" ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sarah

Kalkalash

Re: Need help with a translation for my father

Postby Kalkalash » 2016-09-24, 9:37

I think this needs a bit more context.

Which one of these do you mean:

- Are you giving something to him? eg. "This cake is for dad". In this case it would "isälle"
- Are you doing something for him? "I'm making this cake for dad". Would be the same as above
- Are you doing something in his stead? "My dad broke his leg, so I'm mowing the lawn for him". Here it would be "isän puolesta"
- Are you doing something for him in a more poetic sense? "I'm doing this for my dad". Would be "isän vuoksi", "for my father's sake" literally.

I assume you mean the first one, but it's hard to tell outside context.

Hope this helps :)

thirdgenfin

Postby thirdgenfin » 2016-09-26, 17:04

Thanks for replying! In more context, I'd like to commemorate my father's life (he recently passed away) in form of a tattoo that would mean "for my dad." His side of the family is from Finland but I have no way to contact my relatives over there.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-11-03, 12:32

thirdgenfin wrote:Thanks for replying! In more context, I'd like to commemorate my father's life (he recently passed away) in form of a tattoo that would mean "for my dad." His side of the family is from Finland but I have no way to contact my relatives over there.

That would best be expressed by "isälle". You could say "isälleni" (for my father), but this makes it sound a bit stiff, since personal possesive suffixes are rarely used in colloqial speech.

thirdgenfin

Postby thirdgenfin » 2016-11-03, 17:53

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated :)

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”