How to Name Folders

Moderator:Naava

Eioaioai
How to Name Folders

Postby Eioaioai » 2016-07-30, 10:28

Terve, kaikki!

So my question is two fold: basically I'm going to start to (try to) translate Finnish songs as practice to learn some vocabulary. Well I went to make a folder that would be called "Finnish Song Lyrics" in English but I wanted to name it in Finnish. That's my first question, how do you translate "Finnish Song Lyrics"? I'm guessing "Suomen laulujen sanoja" or maybe sanat? I don't know what case to use since it's a header... and not in a sentence; any help?

Second question, I asked my classmates the same question, obviously no one knows (which is why I came here). Is there are marked difference between (laulu)lyriikka and sanat? Do you prefer one over the other? Is one wrong? Are there other words I should know when it comes to lyrics?

Kiitos etukäteen!
English, Italiano, Suomi, Türkçe, 中文, العربية

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: How to Name Folders

Postby Naava » 2016-07-30, 17:11

You can name it suomalaisten laulujen sanoja ("Finnish songs") or suomenkielisten laulujen sanoja / sanat ("songs in Finnish") or laulujen sanoja if you don't need that Finnish-part in it, or suomenkieliset laulut if you think you can do without the lyrics-part.
The difference between sanoja and sanat is that the first one refers to "some song lyrics", an unspecific amount of lyrics, and the second one refers to some definite set of lyrics. It's somewhat similar to "song lyrics" vs "the song lyrics" in English in this case.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talking about lyriikka unless when referring to poems, but it sounds like a loan from English so I wouldn't be surprised if there were people using it. I'd say it's your own choice which word you prefer. I've mostly heard (and used myself) either (laulun)sanat or sanoitus.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”