missä liigassa oikeasti mennään

Moderator:Naava

Gavril
missä liigassa oikeasti mennään

Postby Gavril » 2015-02-17, 16:49

Päivää taas,

Miten kääntäisitte ”mennä”-verbin tässä yhteydessä?

Pelaajia voi arvioida aidosti vain näkemällä heitä paikan päällä. Vähintään televisiossa. Ja useita kertoja. Suhteessa NHL:ään arvioida voi, mikäli on kartalla siitä, missä kolmen kirjaimen liigassa oikeasti mennään.

”One can only really evalute players by seeing them in action, at the very least on TV, and several times. When it comes to the NHL, one can evaluate [them], as long as one is clear about which three-letter league really [??]

Kiitos vielä kerran

Vlürch

Re: missä liigassa oikeasti mennään

Postby Vlürch » 2015-02-17, 18:27

That's a bit of a weirdly worded paragraph, especially out of context, but here's how I'd translate it, not entirely literally:

Players can only be truly evaluated by seeing them in action. At least on TV, and a lot of times. In relation to the NHL you can consider whether you're up to speed about which three-letter league they're really playing in.

Literally, the last part is "in which three-letter league we're really going", but Finnish has this way of using the first-person plural to indicate... uh... something. Sometimes sarcasm, othertimes emphasis, but I'm not really sure what all the contexts it can be used in are even though I'm a native speaker. To me, the vibe that paragraph gives off is a bit condescending towards the readers, implying that they're belittling the players.

Varislintu

Re: missä liigassa oikeasti mennään

Postby Varislintu » 2015-02-18, 8:28

Gavril wrote:Päivää taas,

Miten kääntäisitte ”mennä”-verbin tässä yhteydessä?

Pelaajia voi arvioida aidosti vain näkemällä heitä paikan päällä. Vähintään televisiossa. Ja useita kertoja. Suhteessa NHL:ään arvioida voi, mikäli on kartalla siitä, missä kolmen kirjaimen liigassa oikeasti mennään.

”One can only really evalute players by seeing them in action, at the very least on TV, and several times. When it comes to the NHL, one can evaluate [them], as long as one is clear about which three-letter league really [??]

Kiitos vielä kerran

"Missä mennään" is a phrase that means roughly "what's going on" or "what the situation is currently". Literally you can understand it as "where the going is being done (in the context of X)".

So here it means "as long as one is aware of what is truly going on in/with the three letter league".

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”