Suomi - Iván

Moderator:Naava

Iván
Language Forum Moderator
Suomi - Iván

Postby Iván » 2012-10-23, 21:44

I've just started learning Finnish. This summer I travelled to Finland. I stayed at my friend's home and I fall in love with Finland. When I'm older, I'd really love to move there but, as you may know, I should learn the language if I want to become a part of the group who love sauna, beer and silence! :)

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself in Finnish:

Moi! Minun nimeni on Iván. Minä olen 16 vuotta vanha. Minä assun Barcelonassa. Minä opiskelen suomea kotona. Minä puhun espanjaa, katalaanii, englantia, raskaa ja saksaa. Minä haluan oppia suomea, koska minusta Suomi on paras maa. Minä haluan asua Suomessa.

Secondly, I think I do know when to use partitive, plural with -t or genitive.

Partitive - The action hasn't finished yet. Something you're still doing (the present continous) When talking about things you can't count. Negative forms. After number bigger than 1.

Plural (-t) - When you specify the number of things you've done. When you ask about something (all the thing) which is not countable. When using the imperative but when we specify the number of the things. Something at all.

Genitive - When something has been finished and completed. When you're doing something but you know you will complete it. It's used with "varmasti". When you're buying and know that you will buy just one thing. When you know just "one thing" of a group.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Varislintu

Re: Suomi - Iván

Postby Varislintu » 2012-10-26, 10:12

Kiva, että pidät Suomesta! :)

Nice that you like Finland! :)

Your questions are a bit hard to provide more rules for -- I think even many advanced learners don't always know for sure when to use partitive, for example. It's one of the trickier parts of this language :).

Ytan

Postby Ytan » 2012-11-08, 22:10

First of all I'd like to correct you so that you can learn something new.

Moi! Minun nimeni on Iván. Minä olen 16 vuotta vanha/vuotias. Minä asun Barcelonassa. Minä opiskelen suomea kotona. Minä puhun espanjaa, katalaania, englantia, ranskaa ja saksaa. Minä haluan oppia suomea, koska minusta Suomi on paras maa. Minä haluan asua Suomessa.
FÅR RÄTTAS

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2012-11-09, 8:16

Iván wrote:Genitive - When something has been finished and completed. When you're doing something but you know you will complete it. It's used with "varmasti". When you're buying and know that you will buy just one thing. When you know just "one thing" of a group.

I have to say that I have never studied grammar things except some brief lessons at school, but here's something wrong now.
Genitive is used when someone owns something: koiran lelu, minun kirjani, Suomen joet...
There's another case that looks very much like genitive; accusative. Actually the only difference between genitive and accusative, as far as I know, is in personal pronouns: minun (gen.), minut (acc.), sinun (gen.), sinut (acc). and so on. I guess you confused them because of this similarity? :)

Then I'm not very sure what you meant with that "it's used with 'varmasti'". As I said, I haven't studied this kind of things much so you might be right. Anyway, could you give an example of how the accusative is used with "varmasti"? (Anyone else can do this too, I just can't make any sentence that would work like that.)

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2012-11-09, 14:29

Naava wrote:I have to say that I have never studied grammar things except some brief lessons at school, but here's something wrong now.

Genitive is used when someone owns something: koiran lelu, minun kirjani, Suomen joet...
There's another case that looks very much like genitive; accusative. Actually the only difference between genitive and accusative, as far as I know, is in personal pronouns: minun (gen.), minut (acc.), sinun (gen.), sinut (acc). and so on. I guess you confused them because of this similarity? :)

Then I'm not very sure what you meant with that "it's used with 'varmasti'". As I said, I haven't studied this kind of things much so you might be right. Anyway, could you give an example of how the accusative is used with "varmasti"? (Anyone else can do this too, I just can't make any sentence that would work like that.)

Yes, I know. I wrote about the object, because of that I didn't say the other use of Genitive case :)

The sentence you asked for: Katson varmasti säätiedotuksen. I read that you use the genitive when you say you will do something completely. But I'm not sure...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2012-11-11, 15:08

Iván wrote:The sentence you asked for: Katson varmasti säätiedotuksen. I read that you use the genitive when you say you will do something completely. But I'm not sure...

Ah, I see. Well, the n-accusative is not really dependent on the word "varmasti". But what you say about "when you say you will do something completely" is correct. That is the "spirit" of the usage of the n-accusative.

In your example, the n-accusative is used to signify that you (will) watch the whole weather report to the end. You can say the same thing with partitive and the word "varmasti", to mean that you are sure you will be watching it, but you don't want to indicate that you will watch the whole report:

Katson varmasti säätiedotusta huomenna.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2013-02-17, 12:14

Moi!

Tänään on sunnuntai. On aurinkoinen päivä ja minun ei tarvitse opiskella koska huomenna minulla ei ole koetta. Eilen menin pubiin minun ystävien kanssa. Harrastamme tanssimista, siksi tanssimme siellä. Menin kotiin kolmelta ja olen nukkunut kunnes kahdeltatoista.

Sen lisäksi, tänään äitini sanoi minulle, että kesällä pääsen taas Suomeen. En tiennyt, voisinko päästä sinne, koska lentoliput olivat kalliita.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”