universally loved Suomi music/movies

Moderator:Naava

kman1
universally loved Suomi music/movies

Postby kman1 » 2011-05-26, 23:11

Definitively speaking, what would you all say is the five equivalent music artists (and their best album) and the five best movies of all time for Finnish media that all Finnish people know and love as I have inquired in the thread below:
http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32876#p669613

Varislintu

Re: universally loved Suomi music/movies

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 8:14

Oh, veeery very difficult question. But okay, I'll try to make a list, based on how known stuff is, not my subjective opinion.

Music Artists:

1. Eppu Normaali
2. Leevi and the Leavings
3. Juice Leskinen
4. HIM
5. Ultra Bra

(This list completely ignores the rather big schlager scene, though. Popular there would be Jari Sillanpää, Danny, Kirka, Katri Helena, Paula Koivuniemi, Kari Tapio, Virve Rosti, Frederik, Fredi etc.)

Their most popular/known/liked albums:

1. Eppu Normaali: Repullinen hittejä (a best of collection)
2. Leevi and the Leavings: Keskiviikko... 40 ensimmäistä hittiä (best of)
3. Juice Leskinen: Kautta aikain (best of)
4. HIM: Razorblade Romance
5. Ultra Bra: Kroketti

But really, a top five is too small to cover all genres.

Movies (I'm bad at this because I don't like Finnish movies), by how known they are:

1. Uuno Turhapuro armeijan leivissä (or any other Uuno Turhapuro movie)
2. Tuntematon sotilas (1955)
3. Mies vailla menneisyyttä (2002)
4. Kulkurin valssi (1945)
5. Pahat pojat (2003)

Or something.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2011-05-27, 8:22

Thank you, Varislintu but.... Isn't that only one genre? (rock) Perhaps that is the only big time genre in Finland? What about some traditional, folk, old time music that your parents/grandparents love? That is more what I'm interested in since there are very few Rock groups in English that I like. :( That's why I wanted to focus on the most popular songs of all time. I thought it would be the traditional/folk songs but maybe not...

You know, when I get to Finland (one day), I want to be able to pull out my guitar or sit at the piano and play some folk tunes that I can jam with the old timers. :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 8:34

kman1 wrote:Thank you, Varislintu but.... Isn't that only one genre? (rock) Perhaps that is the only big time genre in Finland? What about some traditional, folk, old time music that your parents/grandparents love? That is more what I'm interested in since there are very few Rock groups in English that I like. :( That's why I wanted to focus on the most popular songs of all time. I thought it would be the traditional/folk songs but maybe not...

You know, when I get to Finland (one day), I want to be able to pull out my guitar or sit at the piano and play some folk tunes that I can jam with the old timers. :)

Well, I'm going by what people know best. Your example American list also seemed to focus on that. I even left out Nightwish, because while they're know by everyone as a band, they play metal so most people haven't listened to / heard their songs. And people of today will know music of today. I guess Värttinä is our most famous folk music group, even know abroad a little.

EDIT: Furthermore there aren't readily availbale statistics of what my grandparents, or even parents, listened to. But I can try :).

Bryon

Postby Bryon » 2011-05-27, 8:45

Varislintu wrote:EDIT: Furthermore there aren't readily availbale statistics of what my grandparents, or even parents, listened to. But I can try :).

Mikko Alatalo, or what about Irwin Goodman? Just some ideas based off what I could see my dad liking. :D

Do you think Kaija Koo is one of the more popular schlager artists? She's the only other one I could think of out of the Finnish music I've been shown or found on my own.
Main: [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]es-mx[/flag]
Ole ystävällinen ja korjaa virheeni!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 8:51

Plus the thing about making records and people buying them en masse is actually a pretty new phenomena. But, here are two dance orchestras that were apparently highly popular in my grandparents' time:

Dallapé: One of their collection albums; a sample (Petsamo)
Kipparikvartetti: 20 Suosikkia / Saimaan valssi (collection album); a sample (Kaunis Veera)

And yes, I think this represent pretty well what kind of music people listened to back then :). Also, the most known of their songs are known even now.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 8:55

Bryon wrote:
Varislintu wrote:EDIT: Furthermore there aren't readily availbale statistics of what my grandparents, or even parents, listened to. But I can try :).

Mikko Alatalo, or what about Irwin Goodman? Just some ideas based off what I could see my dad liking. :D

Do you think Kaija Koo is one of the more popular schlager artists? She's the only other one I could think of out of the Finnish music I've been shown or found on my own.

Yup, all those are big names too :yep:. Kaija Koo has sold albums very well. Tuulen viemää is a prominent one.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 9:00

BTW, two other FInnish movie classics are:

Komisario Palmun erehdys (1940) (first in a series)
Niskavuoren naiset (1938) (first in a series)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 9:11

Here's a really classic song -- Kaksi vanhaa tukkijätkää -- which also illustrates how old music is difficult to attribute to any one person or group. This was created by a very productive and popular pair: Toivo Topi Kärki and Reino Repe Helismaa, but performed here by a group person ;) called Justeeri. Often the orchestras and the lead singers were also only loosely affiliated. So it's difficult to pick an 'artist' and combine them with an 'album' for a top list when it comes to older music :).

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2011-05-27, 9:35

Varislintu wrote:But, here are two dance orchestras that were apparently highly popular in my grandparents' time:

Dallapé: One of their collection albums; a sample (Petsamo)
Kipparikvartetti: 20 Suosikkia / Saimaan valssi (collection album); a sample (Kaunis Veera)

And yes, I think this represent pretty well what kind of music people listened to back then :). Also, the most known of their songs are known even now.

Bravo! I really liked that sample song you linked to above! If I can find that album online then I will purchase it and make a karaoke file out of it. That is sure to astonish my Finnish friends! :mrgreen:

I love music like that that has a meaning that is relevant to all the citizens of a country. Traditional songs that are classic and make one proud to belong that particular country!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-05-27, 10:07

kman1 wrote:Bravo! I really liked that sample song you linked to above! If I can find that album online then I will purchase it and make a karaoke file out of it. That is sure to astonish my Finnish friends! :mrgreen:

I love music like that that has a meaning that is relevant to all the citizens of a country. Traditional songs that are classic and make one proud to belong that particular country!

Good :)! Although I think you underestimate the status of Eppu Normaali, L&l and Juice Leskinen for the Finnish identity of anyone below 60 ;). They are the essence of today's identity :yep:.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2011-05-27, 10:26

Well, I haven't listened to them yet but I just automatically got a bad feeling when I read their names. I recalled them being rock bands and I know how much I dislike rock music for the most part in my own native language. I can only imagine it being worse in a foreign language. Nevertheless, I'll listen to them later regardless.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”