The Translation Challenge / Käännöshaaste

Moderator:Naava

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-05-31, 18:10

Better than I expected. Thanks for the ego boost! :oops:

Jobb, mint vártam. Köszi az egónövelést! :oops:
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Nendûr

Postby Nendûr » 2006-05-31, 19:34

:evil: i'm never here when you pot something to translate :evil:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-31, 19:50

Well how about this one:

- What have you got in that bag?

- Four fish!

- They smell! Why do you have four fish in your bag!?

- I bought them in the store.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-05-31, 20:17

- Mitä sinulla on kassissa?
- Neljä kalaa!
- Ne haisee! Miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa kassissasi?!
- Minä ostin niitä kaupassa.

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-31, 20:21

CoBB wrote:- Mitä sinulla on tuossa kassissa?
- Neljä kalaa!
- Ne haisevat! Miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa kassissasi?!
- Minä ostin ne kaupasta.

Though "ne haisee" is correct spoken language :).

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-05-31, 20:27

Indeed, I hardly ever hear the -vat/-vät form. And I completely overlooked the word 'that'. :roll:

Így van, nagyon ritkán hallom a -vat/-vät alakot. És a „that” teljesen elkerülte a figyelmem. :roll:

Nendûr

Postby Nendûr » 2006-05-31, 20:29

Varislintu wrote:Well how about this one:

- What have you got in that bag?

- Four fish!

- They smell! Why do you have four fish in your bag!?

- I bought them in the store.

*without looking at cobb's answers

-mitä sinulla kassissa on?

-neljä kalaa!

-he/ne haisevat!! (It was hard to find the correct verb...) miksi sinulla neljä kalaa kassissasi ovat?

-hankin nen kaupassa
Last edited by Nendûr on 2006-05-31, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-05-31, 20:31

I really have to ask: what was the fish story about? Was it some kind of childrens` rhymes or song, or have you invented it on your own? It seemed to me that it must be part of great Finnish culture. :P

I hope you won`t take this as an offense, I`m just interested. :? :oops:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-31, 20:33

No, why would I be offended :).

Hmm, it does sound like a children's loru, doesn't it, but it isn't, I just made it up.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-31, 20:37

Nendûr wrote:-mitä sinulla tuossa kassissa on?

-neljä kalaa!

-ne haisevat!! miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa kassissasi [s]ovat[/s]?

-hankin ne kaupasta

Nendûr

Postby Nendûr » 2006-05-31, 20:51

Varislintu wrote:
Nendûr wrote:-mitä sinulla tuossa kassissa on? in that

-neljä kalaa!

-nehe is for people, right? haisevat!(I had edited that before you corrected!)! miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa kassissasi [s]ovat[/s]? (isn't it like 'with you are 4 fish'?)

-hankin ne kaupasta (no accusative?)

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-05-31, 22:44

Oh! Varislintu! Post a text like the kingdome one and I'll try to do it without dictionary!
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Nendûr

Postby Nendûr » 2006-05-31, 22:47

I want that ¬¬* :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-06-01, 17:39

Nendûr wrote:
Varislintu wrote:
Nendûr wrote:-mitä sinulla tuossa kassissa on? in that

-neljä kalaa!

-nehe is for people, right? haisevat!(I had edited that before you corrected!)! miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa kassissasi [s]ovat[/s]? (isn't it like 'with you are 4 fish'?)

-hankin ne kaupasta (no accusative?)

-Yes, "he" is only for people.

-"-vat" is only used on subjects (the one performing the action). So when you say express "ownership" there is no need to use -vat; "Minulla on neljä kalaa".

-You can't put "ne" in accusative, no. But you are right in that there should be an accusative there, if it is possible.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-06-01, 18:03

Hope this isn't too hard :):

"Kuningas Eerikki ja kuningatar Lainetar eivät kuitenkaan olleet iloisia. Kansa pilkkasi heitä, sillä kuningas oli hyvin lyhyt mies, ja kuningatar oli hyvin lihava nainen. Kaupunkien kaduilla Eerikkiä kutsuttiin "pingviiniksi", ja Lainetarta "virtahevoksi". Tästä syystä kuningas ja kuningatar olivat kieltäneet kaikki pingviinit ja virtahevot koko kuningaskunnasta, myös eläintarhoista. Oli myös kiellettyä mainita näitä eläimiä ääneen. Se, joka rikkoi lakia, heitettiin vankilaan."

Vinaok

Postby Vinaok » 2006-06-01, 18:46

Mmhh, that´s challanging :D

I was in need to flick through my sanakirja as i never did before, but the kick was worth it :lol: i did improve my vocabulary

Kuningas Eerikki ja kuningatar Lainetar eivät kuitenkaan olleet iloisia. Kansa pilkkasi heitä, sillä kuningas oli hyvin lyhyt mies, ja kuningatar oli hyvin lihava nainen. Kaupunkien kaduilla Eerikkiä kutsuttiin "pingviiniksi", ja Lainetarta "virtahevoksi". Tästä syystä kuningas ja kuningatar olivat kieltäneet kaikki pingviinit ja virtahevot koko kuningaskunnasta, myös eläintarhoista. Oli myös kiellettyä mainita näitä eläimiä ääneen. Se, joka rikkoi lakia, heitettiin vankilaan

King Erik and princess Lainetar weren´t at all happy. The (whole) country mocked them as the king was a really short man and the princess very fat. Among country´s streets Erik was adressed as "penguin" and Lainetarta as "hyppopotamus". For this reason the king and the princess had banned all penguins and hyppopotamus from the whole country, even from zoo´s. It was prohibited to utter those animals´ name aloud as well. Who violated the law was imprisoned. ( I wasn´t able to track down that heitettiin though, i just grabbed the vankilaan part and then made it out :P )

Just a question, :)
since the construction used here for "kieltää" is the following
olivat kieltäneet kaikki pingviinit ja virtahevot koko kuningaskunnasta
therefore would my sentence involving personal pronouns be correct:

Olen kieltänyt katsomista televisiota sinusta
The idea of a geocentric universe makes you sexually-aroused, doesn't it!?

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-06-01, 19:23

However, King Eerikki and Queen Lainetar weren't happy. The nation was mocking them, because the king was a quite short man, and the queen was a quite fat woman. On the streets of the cities Eerikki was called 'penguin', and Lainetar 'hippopotamus'. For this reason the king and the queen banned every penguin and hippopotamus from the whole kingdom, even from the zoos. Even the mentioning (imitating?) of the sounds of these animals was prohibited. Those that broke the laws were thrown into prison.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-06-01, 19:57

Vinaok wrote:
Kuningas Eerikki ja kuningatar Lainetar eivät kuitenkaan olleet iloisia. Kansa pilkkasi heitä, sillä kuningas oli hyvin lyhyt mies, ja kuningatar oli hyvin lihava nainen. Kaupunkien kaduilla Eerikkiä kutsuttiin "pingviiniksi", ja Lainetarta "virtahevoksi". Tästä syystä kuningas ja kuningatar olivat kieltäneet kaikki pingviinit ja virtahevot koko kuningaskunnasta, myös eläintarhoista. Oli myös kiellettyä mainita näitä eläimiä ääneen. Se, joka rikkoi lakia, heitettiin vankilaan

King Eerikki (I think it's best to preserve the original spelling, even if it is a "loan name") and queen (princess is 'prinsessa') Lainetar weren´t [s]at all[/s] happy however. The people mocked them as the king was a really short man and the queen a very fat woman. On the cities' streets Eerikki was adressed as "penguin" and Lainetar ('Lainetarta' was the partitive) as "hippopotamus". For this reason the king and the queen had banned all penguins and hyppopotamus from the whole kingdom, even from zoo´s. It was prohibited to mention those animals´ names aloud as well. Who violated the law was thrown into prison.

Vinaok wrote:Just a question, :)
since the construction used here for "kieltää" is the following
olivat kieltäneet kaikki pingviinit ja virtahevot koko kuningaskunnasta
therefore would my sentence involving personal pronouns be correct:

Olen kieltänyt katsom[b]a[/bsta televisiota sinusta

No, because you cannot say "kieltänyt [jonkin] X'stä" if the X is a person, only if it is a place or a thing. If you speak of a person you must say:

"Olen kieltänyt sinua katsomasta televisiota".
(I have prohibited you from watching television. / I have told you not to watch television.)

"Olen kieltänyt heitä nauramasta meille".
(I have prohobited them from laughing at us. / I have told them not to laugh at us.)

So "kieltää + personal pronoun [patitive]" and then the forbidden action (verb) in elative case.
Last edited by Varislintu on 2006-06-01, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-06-01, 20:01

CoBB wrote:However, King Eerikki and Queen Lainetar weren't happy. The people was mocking them, because the king was a very short man, and the queen was a very fat woman. On the streets of the cities Eerikki was called 'penguin', and Lainetar 'hippopotamus'. For this reason the king and the queen banned all penguins and hippopotamus from the whole kingdom, even from the zoos. Even the mentioning of these animals out loud was prohibited. Those that broke the law (singular) were thrown into prison.

About "kansa": it means "the people" as in "the people of the nation" or "the King's people".

Nendûr

Postby Nendûr » 2006-06-01, 20:05

another challenge, bitte

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”