Czech discussion group

Rikita

Postby Rikita » 2005-11-04, 23:13

ahoj... musim cvicit cesky... ale nemám v computeru diakriticky...

about the r with hacek - well I found that I couldn't really learn it with any specific exercise but rather just by practicing (i.e. saying the sound to myself all the time, not caring if everyone thinks I am crazy). At some point it worked...

Pato

Czech pronunciation

Postby Pato » 2005-11-05, 15:21

Ahoj všichni, kdo se učíte česky :)

I have found a html page about the Czech pronunciation on my PC (inluding a sound file), but I cannot find it more on the Net. But I put it on my pages about Quechua so you can download it. Note that I do not know who is the author nor where it is from.

http://sweb.cz/pato.yapoq/Vyslovnost.zip

The pronunciation of ř (like in tři - tri, 3): somebody told me that it is taught to the children that have difficulties with the pronunciation of this sound that they say a long r (rrrrrrrrr) moving the lips to the front (like a fish mouth). Additionally I think you should bring the lateral parts of the tongue tip nearer to the alveopalatal part (where n is pronounced in "nick"), the mouth is a bit more closed than in the pronunciation of r.
It is very similar to the pronounciation of r in English words like try (I remember a song by New Kids on the Block, where they sang "Let's try it again" and it seemed to me very close to the Czech ř, if not same.)

Sorry for my English, I hope you could understand...

cal

Postby cal » 2005-11-18, 10:28

Hello everybody,

I've just found this website and I am amazed... Hope to give my few cents to all guys who want to learn and who are learning Czech.

As for the pronunciation of Ř, the Ř is trilled as well as R: it means you lean the tip of the tongue against your upper palate right on the edge of the palate (before it goes deep) and make the tongue trill - you have the R sound. To make the Ř sound, put the teeth more closer, they could actually touch (the upper and the lower teeth). Try to pronounce words beginning with Ř first using R, then using Ř correctly.

Hodně štěstí!
Lucka

cal

Postby cal » 2005-11-18, 10:54

Axystos wrote:(Mluvíme o stejné knize? Já používám TY Czech, abych se učil jazyk, a řezám skrz knihu jako teplý nůž skrz máslo. Ačkoli přiznávám, že fakt, že vím ruštinu, mi velmi pomohl.)

Asi by bylo lepší říct:
"Mluvíme o stejné knize? Já se učím z TY Czech a jde mi to jako po másle. Musím se ale přiznat, že to, že umím rusky, mi hodně pomohlo."

Ale jinak to bylo fakt dobrý! :D Pozor na ty idiomy, věta "řezám skrz knihu jako teplý nůž skrz máslo" zní asi jako v angličtině "I cough at it." místo "I don't give a damm." :)

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-11-24, 16:08

Ahoj všichni! Už vůbec nemluvím česky, ale snažil jsem se psat velmi malý text (just for fun ^^) Jmenuju se Guillem a teď je mi 19 let. Narodil jsem se v Katalánsku, kde je ještě bydlím, proto je mluvím katalánsky a spanělsky. Mám rad cizé kultury a to je protože učim se portugalštinu, ruštinu a nějaký jiný jazyky. Učím se také česky tři tydn a doufám, že můžu mluvit česky nedlouho, i když možna jsem trochu hloupý nebo příliš optimistický protože to je dost nesnadný! Myslím si, že výslovnost není velmi komplikovaný (kromě toho slavneho “ř”, samozřejmě!), ale s psanou češtinou boli hlava :D Budem studovat hodně!
Na shledanou!

Was it very bad? xD I just started learning it myself :oops: So I will appreciate a lot your help and corrections.

cal

Postby cal » 2005-11-25, 8:51

Hello Guillem and welcome,
glad you've visited this forum. Your short text was understandable though there are few things to correct. Hope you don't mind if I add my two cents...

Ahoj všichni! Už vůbec nemluvím česky, ale snažil jsem se psat velmi malý text (just for fun ^^)

... snažil jsem se napsat velmi krátký text...
This is just a matter of an aspect - since your action (i.e. writing) is terminated/finished, you need to use the completive (dokonavý) aspect.

... kde je ještě bydlím, proto je mluvím katalánsky a spanělsky.

... kde stále bydlím, proto mluvím katalánsky a španělsky.

The je is not necessary here, actually it is wrong to put it there.

Mám rad cizé kultury

- Mám rád cizí kultury,

a to je protože učim se portugalštinu, ruštinu

- a proto se učím portugalštinu, ruštinu

nějaký jiný jazyky.

- další jazyky --- nějaký jiný jazyky in that formation is a slang, correctly it would be nějaké jiné jazyky but in the context, další is better.

Učím se také česky tři tydn

Written like this it seems that you've been learning the other languages for 3 weeks as well, so I would say Už tři týdny se učím také česky

a doufám, že můžu mluvit česky nedlouho,

This sentence doesn't make much sence... I suppose you wanted to say "I hope I will be able to speak Czech soon" :) so doufám, že budu zanedlouho schopen mluvit česky, instead of schopen you can use moci.

i když možna jsem trochu hloupý nebo příliš optimistický protože to je dost nesnadný!

- možná
- hloupý seems a bit too hard :), maybe naivní (naive) would sound better
- don't forget the comma preceeding conjunctions: optimistický, protože
- to je [s]nesnadný[/s] nesnadné; and maybe nesnadné could be changed to obtížné or těžké

Myslím si, že výslovnost není velmi komplikovaný

není moc komplikovaná (ta výslovnost)

ale s psanou češtinou boli hlava

z psané češtiny bolí hlava

Budem studovat hodně!

Budu hodně studovat!
----------------------------------------------------
Very good job after three weeks though! :P

cal

cal

Postby cal » 2005-11-25, 8:57

And I forgot the very beginning :)

Už vůbec nemluvím česky

Doesn't make sence, seems like you had been speaking long ago but you have forgotten the language since then... maybe Ještě (vůbec) nemluvím česky... (???) if you want to say that you are not able to speak yet but you can already write a small text...

cal

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-11-25, 9:04

Thanks a lot for your corrections, Cal!!! :D

It was full of mistakes, so I guess I'll have to study it harder! :) I'm learning it myself, but I will be posting here often from now on so I can practise it and you can correct me :D

And yes, I messed Ještě and Už :oops:

cal

Postby cal » 2005-11-25, 9:20

Rádo se stalo :) Doufám, že se nenecháš odradit složitou českou gramatikou :)

-----

It was my pleasure :) I hope the complicated Czech grammar won't discourage you :)

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2005-11-25, 16:20

cal wrote:Rádo se stalo :) Doufám, že se nenecháš odradit složitou českou gramatikou :)

-----

It was my pleasure :) I hope the complicated Czech grammar won't discourage you :)

Not at all! I find it exciting :lol:

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-12-09, 22:28

Včera jsem koupil DVD "the fifth element" ("pátý element"), ne protože to je tak dobrý film, ale protože to má české audio a české podtitulky. Po* osmi minutách jsem už učil asi dvacet nových slov. :D

*Don't know if I used the correct preposition. I'm thinking of making a list of all czech prepositions with its general meanings, if such a list doesn't exist yet on the internet.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Lada

Postby Lada » 2005-12-10, 20:39

Axystos wrote:Včera jsem koupil DVD "the fifth element" ("pátý element"), ne protože to je tak dobrý film, ale protože to má české audio a české podtitulky. Po* osmi minutách jsem už učil asi dvacet nových slov. :D

a já hudbu posloucham :D http://www.sputnikmusic.cz, velmi veselá skupina, na jich stránkě možno download(?) mp3 a počist teksty, které se pokouším překládat :) mám některé problemý....

tady je urývek z písňi NEPIJ A NEKUŘ

doktor ti říkal
že některý to neunesou
že prý(??) jde o to
že se to někdy změní
lékařská věda se stále žene dál

rozumím ale ne vše....může pomoci někdo?

a ještě jedna otázka:
jak lepší? dvacet jeden ale jedenadvacet?

Rikita

Postby Rikita » 2005-12-11, 0:26

Ahoj... hm, ta konversace o hudbě mi připominá, že je to moc ticho v mém bytě...

cal

Postby cal » 2005-12-12, 9:40

Včera jsem koupil DVD "the fifth element" ("pátý element"), ne protože to je tak dobrý film, ale protože to má české audio a české podtitulky.

titulky, ne podtitulky

Po* osmi minutách jsem už učil asi dvacet nových slov.

Už za osm minut jsem se naučil asi dvacet nových slov. - if you intented to say that you had learnt approximately 20 new words in only 8 minutes; or if you prefer the preposition po then the sentence has to be Už po osmi minutách jsem uměl asi 20 nových slov. :) (If the main thing you wanted to express was that it took (you) only 8 minutes of watching the film to learn 20 new words.)
----------------------------------------------------
a já hudbu posloucham www.sputnikmusic.cz, velmi veselá skupina, na jich stránkě možno download(?) mp3 a počist teksty, které se pokouším překládat mám některé problemý....

a já hudbu poslouchám, viz (see) www.sputnikmusic.cz, na jejich stránce je možno stáhnout mp3 (as we say in slang: empétrojky) a přečíst texty, které (si) zkouším překládat, mám (s tím) nějaké problémy.

tady je urývek z písňi

z písně

doktor ti říkal
že některý to neunesou
že prý(??) jde o to
že se to někdy změní
lékařská věda se stále žene dál

the doctor told you
that some might not sustain it
that it's about
some things may change
medical/health science keeps forcing forward

dvacet jeden ale jedenadvacet?

It depends on the context but in general, the latter is used in speech, if a read text contains the numeral 21, the reader says jedenadvacet, of course it's not a rule.

cal

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-12-12, 14:31

Děkuju, cal!

cal wrote:
Po* osmi minutách jsem už učil asi dvacet nových slov.

Už za osm minut jsem se naučil asi dvacet nových slov. - if you intented to say that you had learnt approximately 20 new words in only 8 minutes;

Yes, this is what I wanted to say.

I'm currently learning czech prepositions (found a list on the net) and their uses and translations, so that next time I can have a better educated guess as to which one I need. :)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2005-12-12, 19:29

cal wrote:a já hudbu poslouchám, viz (see) www.sputnikmusic.cz, na jejich stránce je možno stáhnout mp3 (as we say in slang: empétrojky) a přečíst texty, které (si) zkouším překládat, mám (s tím) nějaké problémy.

tady je urývek z písňi

Moc děkuji za opravení!

I ve never seen form jejich before, at least it doesnt exist in my book, why can't i use jich, it is also genitive, isnt it?

i dint want to use verb přečíst, aren't there in czech verbs with meaning "to do for some time"?

what is the difference between nějaké a některé?

promiň jestli jsem dála mnoho otázek...

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-12-13, 11:03

Lada wrote:I ve never seen form jejich before, at least it doesnt exist in my book, why can't i use jich, it is also genitive, isnt it?

Oh, I know this one. :D
jejich is a possessive pronoun ("their"), and jich is a personal pronoun (the genitive case of 'ony' -> "of them"). Both mean их in russian.

cal

Postby cal » 2005-12-13, 13:22

jejich is a possessive pronoun ("their"),

Správně.

and jich is a personal pronoun (the genitive case of 'ony' -> "of them").

Not quite: it's not just for the feminine ony, it's also for masculine oni and neutral ona genders. The jich is the direct subject form of these personal nouns oni, ony, ona.

i dint want to use verb přečíst, aren't there in czech verbs with meaning "to do for some time"?

The difference is in aspect. Číst is imperfective, přečíst, dočíst, vyčíst completive. If you want to express that you from time to time read the texts, it is better to use another, though kinda related verb pročítat, imperfective too though expressing the act of "reading for some time", I would say like English "browse-read, read off" (imagine someone sitting in an armchair browsing a book, turning the pages, that's the meaning...).

what is the difference between nějaké a některé?

I'd say the main difference is that you choose nějaký if the subject is indefinite ("some"), but některý if you want to express "some of" - e.g. "Některé děti nemají rodiče." - "Some children have no parents." (meaning some children of all children of the world as a part of a group, in connection to the context of the sentence, which is that some are parentless, and some are not), but "Venku před domem si hrají nějaké děti." "There are some children playing outside in front of the house." (meaning that some, indefinite children are playing outside, there is no big connection to a fact or the point of the sentence).

Vůbec se neomlouvej a klidně se ptej dál :)

cal

cal

Postby cal » 2005-12-13, 13:25

One more correction:
Promiň, jestli jsem ti dala mnoho (although moc would sound better) otázek...

cal

Postby cal » 2005-12-14, 6:50

and jich is a personal pronoun (the genitive case of 'ony' -> "of them").

Not quite: it's not just for the feminine ony, it's also for masculine oni and neutral ona genders. The jich is the direct subject form of these personal nouns oni, ony, ona.

Well, there's something more to say about this jich, it is not only dative, but also genitive (as Axystos wrote previously), apart from another form nich used when a preposition preceeds it, thus we see:
Zeptej se jich na cestu. (genitive, no preposition)
Bez nich bychom to nedokázali. (genitive, preposition)

cal

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”