Czech discussion group

Naihonn
Re: Czech discussion group

Postby Naihonn » 2014-09-12, 15:14

I hate IPA. It is stupid. But yes, d, t and n before i, í and ě sound like ď, ť, ň in words of Czech origin and Wikipedia says that in IPA it really is ɟ, c, ɲ. One more thing, with ě you could say that ˇ moves to that preceding letter and all that remains in pronounciation is e [ɛ].

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-13, 4:29

Děkuji! :D

And IPA may be stupid, but it is useful.
Last edited by Koko on 2014-09-13, 4:37, edited 1 time in total.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-13, 4:33

How does one decline languages, i.e words ending in -ský?

Does one pronounce initial clusters with a schwa? So čtu is pronounced like [čətu]. And how would stress work if this does happen: ['čətu] or [čə'tu]?

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2014-09-13, 20:47

Koko wrote:How does one decline languages, i.e words ending in -ský?

Ok, languages are either with word jazyk, like for example český jazyk or we use one word ending with -ina, like čeština. I tried to formulate this using linguistic terms but I think I will rather use Wiktionary. :whistle:

český
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C4%8Desk%C3%BD

jazyk
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jazyk

čeština
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C4%8De%C5%A1tina

Koko wrote:Does one pronounce initial clusters with a schwa? So čtu is pronounced like [čətu]. And how would stress work if this does happen: ['čətu] or [čə'tu]?

Stress is almost always on the first syllable. And, no schwa. :)
Again, wikipedia has better explanation than me. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_language#Phonology

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-05, 1:26

Je on český? It's difficult to tell. I suck at distinguishing any accent and his isn't particularly strong: it sounds a little English but i'm not sure. Surely a native Czech could figure it out :) .

EDIT: His name's Richard. Gotta be English :lol: . Is Ričard a Czech name by any chance? (doubtful)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-06, 8:34

Jak se používá „nelze?” Jako "Nelze ližuji." (I can't [not allowed] to ski)

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2015-01-09, 11:52

Koko wrote:Je on český? It's difficult to tell. I suck at distinguishing any accent and his isn't particularly strong: it sounds a little English but i'm not sure. Surely a native Czech could figure it out :) .

EDIT: His name's Richard. Gotta be English :lol: . Is Ričard a Czech name by any chance? (doubtful)

Yes, he isn't Czech. Well, Richard is kinda international name, probably originating in France I guess. In Czech it is pronounced as it is written. That means with ch as in loch.

Koko wrote:Jak se používá „nelze?” Jako "Nelze ližuji." (I can't [not allowed] to ski)

Nelze means it's not possible and it used when writing/talking about something, not about someone, and it is used in writing or very formal speech, normally you say Není možné... In your case you say Nesmím/Nemůžu/Nemám dovoleno(not allowed). And it is lyžovat.

If you need few examples just ask. 8-)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-25, 3:44

Do t and d assimilate to /ť/ and /ď/ before /ň/?

hreru

Postby hreru » 2015-01-25, 20:35

No, or at least I can't think of any such case; have you heard it somewhere?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-25, 20:42

No, it's just that it's something I'm working on not doing :lol: . Does the reverse happen though (n becoming /ň/ before /ť, ď/)?

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2015-01-26, 15:53

Do you have any example word? I can't think of any czech word where n comes right before t or d.
native: [flag=]cs[/flag]
almost native(C2 level): [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
understand natively, but not speak much:[flag=]sk[/flag]
just started: [flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]es[/flag]
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

kotrcka

Postby kotrcka » 2015-01-26, 19:27

no, it is not happening. although I can only imagine some imported words (internát, ...)

hreru

Postby hreru » 2015-02-06, 10:27

Now that I think of it I must admit I do change t /d to ť/ď before ň when speaking fast or caressly ... and I probably do it often, I’ve never realised it before. :D But I guess most of the time I say really t/d, and it’s definitely standard that way. The same goes for the reverse; I can imagine I’d say puňtík instead of puntík and I always pronounced children’s comics character Pinďa with ň. :)

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2015-02-06, 17:37

It must have been funny now for my roommates, but I tried but puntík and puňtík does sound kinda same to me (the same with pInďa and Piňďa), but that may only be my bad pronunciation :-D
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

hreru

Postby hreru » 2015-02-09, 11:37

:lol: I did the same at work but there was nobody around at the moment. I hope. :para: I could hear a clear difference ... but maybe it's my bad ears. :)

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2015-02-09, 15:02

We have thin walls (very impractical in way more things), but yeah i guess it's my bad pronunciation which comes from not really using the language for the last two years :)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-09, 20:34

Ashrak wrote:We have thin walls (very impractical in way more things), but yeah i guess it's my bad pronunciation which comes from not really using the language for the last two years :)

Do you instead use English or German? What kind of contexts do you put yourself in that prohibits major use of Czech?

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2015-02-10, 17:03

Koko wrote:Do you instead use English or German? What kind of contexts do you put yourself in that prohibits major use of Czech?

I live in Munich, Germany. Nothing prohibits me from using Czech, I just don't have partners to speak it with. All of my friends here are either Germans or German speaking speakers of languages that aren't mutually intelligible with Czech. And two hour call a month with my parents doesn't isn't much usage :-)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-02-10, 23:23

Oh! I hadn't seen your side-box thing (where an avatar is shown with your nick and pkace of residency) :P .

Linguist108

Postby Linguist108 » 2015-02-19, 12:24

Ashrak wrote:It must have been funny now for my roommates, but I tried but puntík and puňtík does sound kinda same to me (the same with pInďa and Piňďa), but that may only be my bad pronunciation :-D

Hi guys, I' m happy to help. 8-)

It's not the same pronunciation in Czech. The ď /ɟ/ following n has no effect on pronunciation of it...

Pinďa and piňďa are different words, of course if piňďa existed :lol:. Pinďa does exist.
native: [flag=]cs[/flag]|fluent, near native: [flag=]en-uk[/flag]|fully understanding, don't speak much: [flag=]sk[/flag] | can understand, can't speak much: [flag=]ru-ru[/flag]|intermediate: [flag=]de[/flag]|can read and speak basics: Hindi, Gujarati [flag=]in[/flag]|beginner: [flag=]nl[/flag][flag=]no[/flag]

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”