Czech discussion group

Naihonn
Re: Czech discussion group

Postby Naihonn » 2012-11-26, 10:07

Divinefairy wrote:Děkuji...

This will be easier in English for me. heh:

Well, Katerina's parents and her Czech friends speak to her in Czech, and she understands, but she can't respond, she just responds in English. Its really weird and frustrating when your trying to learn it!!! :whistle: She can barely read (very slow, I'm actually better than her at reading Czech).

She can watch Czech movies without subtitles and understand everything and tell me what's going on, but she couldn't "repeat that line?" if you asked her a million times... lol.

I guess she's a very peculiar case. Basically I make up sentences and say them to her and she nods or shakes her head no, then I try again. Since she can't actually correct me, she just says if its right or wrong.

It is also quite sad, especially because she has such a beautiful czech name. :) Well, at least there is something good for your learning. And if you can practice speaking Czech with her parents or friends, it is no big deal.

Divinefairy wrote:Jako jsem řekl, za šest měsíců poletíme do Prahy na dovolenou. Mužete mi říct ktery místá nikdo nemluví anglicky?
As I said, in six months we will be flying to Prague for vacation. Can you tell me any places where no one speaks English?

Jak jsem řekl, za 6 měsíců poletíme do Prahy na dovolenou. Můžete mi říct nějaká místa, kde nikdo nemluví anglicky?

Well, few years ago it was much worse with English, now you can meet more people, that can speak intelligibly. :lol: But especially older people is your best choice for Czech only conversation. 8-) And of course, smaller and more secluded places are better than the capital city. :whistle:

Divinefairy

Postby Divinefairy » 2012-11-26, 15:01

Ano... A to byl její svátek včera taky.

Yes... and it was her name day yesterday, too.
Learning: [flag]cs[/flag]

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-15, 8:52

I was looking through translation forum and saw this:

Kde tu vaříte ten inkoust?

What is "tu"? Isn't 2d person plural is "vy"?

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-15, 9:15

Hi Lada.

That was my mistake. Tu as well as tady means here, but I didn't provide it in the other translations and so they were translated without it.

Kde vaříte ten inkoust? - Where do you cook that ink?

Je tady někdo? - Anybody here?
Je tu někdo? - Anybody here?

Tumáš (tu-máš) - Here you go!

But sometimes the use of tu wouldn't feel natural f.e. in : Tady je ale zima. (It's really cold out here) x Tu je ale zima. (sounds archaic). :)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-15, 18:57

Děkuji zrcadlo! :)

Proč nepíšeš o slově "zde"? To slovo je první s podobným významem v mojim (?) knihě...

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-15, 19:15

Lada wrote:Děkuji zrcadlo! :)

Proč nepíšeš o slově "zde"? To slovo je první s podobným významem v mojí/mé knize...

Yes. Of course. Zde also means here. It's more formal than tady, but it means the same thing.

Tady je záchod. / Zde je toaleta. - The toilet is here.

Zde/tady se můžete nasnídat. - Here you can have a breakfast.

Also, when we had P.E. lessons and the teacher would call our names to see who's missing, the more common answer would be "zde". Again because it's more formal and feels more polite. :)

I hope I didn't make it confusing.

http://slovnik.seznam.cz/ru-cz/word/?q= ... 5ZmMMFok8=

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-19, 19:00

Thank you for the explanation and for the link! This dictionary seems to be better than the one I'm used to http://slovnik.cz/

Could you check my pronunciation? I uploaded the file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gta7tyq3yw3ahog/SuZujJetyv

Všichni lidé rodí se svobodní a sobě rovní co do důstojnosti a práv. Jsou nadáni rozumem a svědomím a mají spolu jednat v duchu bratrství.

I hope I'm at least somewhat understandable...

Předem děkuji :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-01-21, 19:36

[flag]cs[/flag] Když přijdu tady, jsem tak nervózní, že předznamenám zajíkave, jako vyslovím česká slova v skutečnosti. ...Fuj, ten byl špatný...
[flag]en-us[/flag] When I come here, I'm so nervous I type haltingly, like how I pronounce Czech words in real life. ...God, that was bad...

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-21, 21:43

Lada wrote:Thank you for the explanation and for the link! This dictionary seems to be better than the one I'm used to http://slovnik.cz/

Could you check my pronunciation? I uploaded the file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gta7tyq3yw3ahog/SuZujJetyv

Všichni lidé rodí se svobodní a sobě rovní co do důstojnosti a práv. Jsou nadáni rozumem a svědomím a mají spolu jednat v duchu bratrství.

I hope I'm at least somewhat understandable...

Předem děkuji :)

You're welcome.

The recording was nice. The voice somehow reminded me of a certain fairytale teller, but I can't recall the name :)

I can only advise you to work on how to prolong the vowels with acute accents such as lidé, práv, nadáni, others were fine. And then in the last word bratrství the r somehow vanished in your recording :D But I liked it. Good job (Sorry I didn't respond earlier :) )

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-23, 19:20

Mirror wrote:You're welcome.

The recording was nice. The voice somehow reminded me of a certain fairytale teller, but I can't recall the name :)

I can only advise you to work on how to prolong the vowels with acute accents such as lidé, práv, nadáni, others were fine. And then in the last word bratrství the r somehow vanished in your recording :D But I liked it. Good job (Sorry I didn't respond earlier :) )

Thank you :) I'm quite surprised that I sound good, really, it's quite hard to make unstressed vowels long. I pronounced bratrství in Russian way, without second R, my mistake... Learning another Slavic language is a great challenge, because all the time you switch to your native language bearing in mind "they will understand it anyway"...

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-23, 20:17

Yes. :) But in the future I'd like to learn Russian and maybe some Bulgarian, Croatian and Polish so I hope I won't be also this "comfortable" :D

Btw. брудршафт is something different than fraternity , right? Because I thought this word meant brotherhood as it does in German. :)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-01-24, 0:49

Brotherhood and fraternity are the same thing, though (unless you're talking about college fraternities) :hmm:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-24, 8:35

I know fraternity and brotherhood is the same thing (sisterhood = sorority, royal = kingly) but I was asking if брудршафт is something different than brotherhood, because she pronounced the Czech word for it bratrství in a similar way to the Russian word братство = brotherhood.

Sorry for the confusion

братство - brotherhood
bratrství - brotherhood, brotherliness
bratrstvo - brotherhood

e Bruderschaft, - brotherhood , but wait there's always the word die Brüderlichkeit , now I'm a little bit confused :)

брудршафт - ??????

Lada

Postby Lada » 2013-01-24, 9:56

брудершафт :)

this word is not used alone AFAIK, there's an expression "пить на брудершафт" [pit' na brudershaft] - it means that you and your new friend show everyone and yourself (it can be done in romantic atmosphere) that you are friends now and if you're in love, you kiss each other after that.

How you show this: you drink alcohol like this:

Personally I like it :D

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-01-24, 10:54

Haha. Thanks. I actually also heard it in that expression :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-11, 22:38

Umim precist hodne text, ktery vidim. Tak proc dosud mluvim ja tak spatne a zajikave? :(

Naihonn

Postby Naihonn » 2013-02-11, 22:53

No jo, čtení je vždycky jednodušší. No, možná s výjimkou čínštiny, japonštiny a podobných. :)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-13, 3:49

Japonština je děsivé zvíře, které doupě musím já odejit před její děti mi shledají.

Covered

Postby Covered » 2013-10-13, 7:12

já umím japonký ale neumím český :D bohůżel

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-09-11, 0:04

Do /t/ and /d/ really become [c] and [ɟ] before /ɪ/, /iː/ and <ě>? Or are they just palatalized ([dʲ] and [tʲ])?

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”