How hard is it to learn Russian?

Moderator:voron

IberianWolf
How hard is it to learn Russian?

Postby IberianWolf » 2016-06-07, 23:50

I am a Portuguese (Pt) and English (Uk) speaker, so the accent is not a problem. How hard it it to learn Russian for me?

mōdgethanc

Re: How hard is it to learn Russian?

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-06-08, 2:32

[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

IberianWolf

Postby IberianWolf » 2016-06-08, 16:57

mōdgethanc wrote:Image
You underestimate my power

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-08, 18:54

IberianWolf wrote:How hard it it to learn Russian for me?

Russian has grammatical cases, neither English or Portuguese have, that's going to be a challenge until you get used to those.

One the other hand Russian doesn't have articles, they got rid of those useless things, so even though it's a tiny drop it still makes it sort of easier.

The biggest problem you will have is by far learning all those words. Portuguese has a Latin vocabulary, English, although Germanic, is also filled to the top of its neck with Latin words, but Russian is in a completely different language family so it will take a long time to memorise any new word, especially that they use a different alphabet which will make words even harder to stick.

But don't worry about learning the alphabet itself, it's only like 30-35 letters, you can memorise them within a day, takes only an hour or two. no big deal.

IberianWolf

Postby IberianWolf » 2016-06-09, 22:12

Thank you. I already know the alphabet and i find the words easy to memorise. It will take a long time anyway but I'm no worried about the words. Just the grammar really

Antea

Postby Antea » 2016-06-10, 6:09

I'm learning Russian, too. I began some years ago studying the alphabet and the basic words and sentences. I supposed that for 1 or 2 years, I remained in the plateau of an A1-A2 level. This year, after a long pause, I came back to study, and according to my teacher I should be in a B1 level. Meaning that I know how to employ all the grammar cases with nouns and adjectives in singular and plural (even if I still make mistakes :roll: ), verbs imperfective and perfective (at least in theory) and a fair amount of vocabulary.

So, after 3 years of (real) study I'm arriving (with a lot of effort and commitment) to a B1 level, But there's still much work to do to reach the B2-C1 level, maybe 2 years more being optimistic :hmm:

So I suppose that the 6 year level period of time in wich they usually divide the study of Russian in academies, is pretty well calculated.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2016-06-10, 22:40

Levike wrote:One the other hand Russian doesn't have articles, they got rid of those useless things, so even though it's a tiny drop it still makes it sort of easier.

They haven't gotten rid of them, they never had articles. :D
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

Keystone

Postby Keystone » 2016-07-09, 19:26

I'm considering learning Russian too. For the moment, I am just acquainting myself with the language (i.e. through Duolingo and looking up the basic grammar). I used to live in Macedonia, so I can already read Cyrillic and a lot of basic Russian is similar to Macedonian. I feel like I could learn Russian somewhat easily if I really went for it (at least, I have a nice head start). I'm currently living in Lithuania, where Russian isn't very common, but obviously it would be useful in most neighboring countries. I'm definitely going to be studying Lithuanian, but considering my head start in Slavic languages, I might throw Russian into the mix as well.
Native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Planning to learn: Lithuanian (lt) Russian (ru)
At least A2 in: Macedonian (mk)Albanian (sq)Latin American Spanish (es-MX)Huehue (pt-BR)Metropolitan (fr)

Han Khmer

Postby Han Khmer » 2016-07-15, 21:52

Levike wrote: Portuguese has a Latin vocabulary, English, although Germanic, is also filled to the top of its neck with Latin words, but Russian is in a completely different language family

In Russian there are a lot of Latin vocabulary, plus in 18-19 centures a lot of French, German, Italian, Dutch words was adopted. Last 20 years the Russian borrows many English words. I read 10-20% (depending on the subject) words in any text are international.
родной[flag=]ru[/flag], I understand [flag=]en[/flag]
I'm leanring [flag=]zh[/flag], begin to learn [flag=]km[/flag]

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-07-15, 22:44

Han Khmer wrote:In Russian there are a lot of Latin vocabulary, plus in 18-19 centures a lot of French, German, Italian, Dutch words was adopted.

I'm guessing most of those 10-20% are technical words you only hear in certain fields and the rest are internationalisms. So although helpful, it's a minor help. Because if you get very technical then mostly every European language is going to be filled with Greek and Latin roots.

Han Khmer

Postby Han Khmer » 2016-07-16, 14:18

Levike wrote:I'm guessing most of those 10-20% are technical words

Technical words are 99% not Slavic. But I'm talking about usual words - метро, ресторан, менеджер, бизнес, гамбургер, пица...

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-07-16, 14:20

Han Khmer wrote:Technical words are 99% not Slavic. But I'm talking about usual words - метро, ресторан, менеджер, бизнес, гамбургер, пица...

As I said, technical words and internationalisms.

Han Khmer

Postby Han Khmer » 2016-07-19, 13:10

Levike wrote:As I said, technical words and internationalisms.

ok, internationalisms.
I some years don't speak English.

Nordie

Postby Nordie » 2016-08-29, 13:29

I'm currently trying to learn russian, some of my ancestors were russians, so I don't think that it is very hard language.

Return to “Russian (Русский)”