Moscow dialect

Moderator:voron

Grunnftw
Moscow dialect

Postby Grunnftw » 2016-04-16, 21:00

Всем привет,

Как дела? I've been learning Russian for several years now, but I'm still not very good at it due to extreme laziness. I have a few questions regarding the 'Moscow accent'. Forgive me if these questions have been asked before, Google provided me with a lot of vague answers, so that didn't really help.

• How would one pronounce говорю and карандаш? I'm referring to the first syllables of both words. Are these letters (гОворю and кАрандаш) schwas (/ə/)? Or are they pronounced the same way as говОрю? (i.e. /ɐ/)
  • How about космос? Sometimes it sounds like people say ['kɐsməs].
  • Is х always pronounced /x/? I'm just asking, because I've heard singers like Слава (I'm sure there are others) pronounce хочу [hɐ'tɕu] (forgive my IPA). I know Ukrainians and people from the south tend to pronounce г as /h/, but Слава appears to be from Moscow, and I strongly doubt this also applies to х.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Dutch (nl) American English (us) Spanish (es) | Learning: Russian (ru) Norwegian bokmål (no)

Lada

Re: Moscow dialect

Postby Lada » 2016-04-17, 13:26

Привет! Добро пожаловать на форум! :)

First of all there's no any dialects in contemporary Russian. Moscow diealect has become the basis for literal Russian language and it was in use back at the beginning of the 20th century. There's a good arcticle in wiki about it: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B5_%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5

Grunnftw wrote:
  • How would one pronounce говорю and карандаш? I'm referring to the first syllables of both words. Are these letters (гОворю and кАрандаш) schwas (/ə/)? Or are they pronounced the same way as говОрю? (i.e. /ɐ/)

Me and all people I know say schwa here. Second syllable is schwa as well btw because stress in on the last vowel in both words.
  • How about космос? Sometimes it sounds like people say ['kɐsməs].

• Maybe people talk too fast? In normal speech first o sounds like o.
  • Is х always pronounced /x/? I'm just asking, because I've heard singers like Слава (I'm sure there are others) pronounce хочу [hɐ'tɕu] (forgive my IPA). I know Ukrainians and people from the south tend to pronounce г as /h/, but Слава appears to be from Moscow, and I strongly doubt this also applies to х.

• I doubt that Слава pronounced it like /h/, rather like "h" in "house", if you post video or sample where she sais it, I'll be able to give a better answer.

Grunnftw

Postby Grunnftw » 2016-04-18, 17:26

Спасибо большое!

Me and all people I know say schwa here. Second syllable is schwa as well btw because stress in on the last vowel in both words.

Thank you, because all those A's made me doubt myself.

Maybe people talk too fast? In normal speech first o sounds like o.

I'm sure it's just me hearing A's where there are none. :P

I doubt that Слава pronounced it like /h/, rather like "h" in "house", if you post video or sample where she sais it, I'll be able to give a better answer.

Sure, at about 1:10:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBwJU3Nnu8

Thanks again for your help. :)
    Dutch (nl) American English (us) Spanish (es) | Learning: Russian (ru) Norwegian bokmål (no)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2016-04-21, 8:02

Grunnftw wrote:Спасибо большое!

Всегда пожалуйста :)
    Sure, at about 1:10:

If you mean the word хочешь that Cлава sais there, then I don't hear /h/, it'n not Ukrainian sound for sure, it's not that harsh as /x/ may sound but Russian variant of /x/ isn't generally harsh, it's normal for my ears.

P.S. I still wonder how people can listen to Russian pop :roll:

Grunnftw

Postby Grunnftw » 2016-05-18, 11:50

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for being late with mine. :)

Haha, I know. I like Russian rap myself, but sometimes it can be really hard to follow.

Return to “Russian (Русский)”